• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Fire alarms and sprinklers.

Thread starter #1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Just thought this might add not only noise to attract/distract enemies but cool environment effects like hindering the ability to see (due to water in your face) and hear (noise of the alarm and water) and also the water would put out any flames from candles, campfire's or barrel-fires etc

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Hook it up to a gasoline tank, drench some zeds, burn, baby, burn!

Cool idea though, could also be used to water plants?

Thread starter #3

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Hook it up to a gasoline tank, drench some zeds, burn, baby, burn!

Cool idea though, could also be used to water plants?
You sick sick moose.... awsome idea :D

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
I am not sure how sprinkler systems work for buildings, but from what i assume... If sinks and other water systems don't work why would the sprinklers? Don't get me wrong I love this idea, setting off a buildings fire alarm in a town so you can loot the other building sounds like an awesome feature, among the many other things you could do with this mechanic. I am just thinking on the realism side of the game.

Thread starter #5

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I am not sure how sprinkler systems work for buildings, but from what i assume... If sinks and other water systems don't work why would the sprinklers? Don't get me wrong I love this idea, setting off a buildings fire alarm in a town so you can loot the other building sounds like an awesome feature, among the many other things you could do with this mechanic. I am just thinking on the realism side of the game.
I guess if it wouldn't be working, it would be down to a person to get it working like IRL... your right about it depends if the area has power or if a backup generator is on.

Davz Not Here

Backer
the alarm idea was brought up under "Sirens" in several other threads ..... specifically disaster sirens

Thread starter #7

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
the alarm idea was brought up under "Sirens" in several other threads ..... specifically disaster sirens
I was leaning more toward the sprinkler idea... the fire alarm just came with it I suppose... I messing around with particles in unity and was "suppressing" a flame like particle with another with a water texture and it looked pretty cool, that's why I thought of it :p

Admin #8

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
I guess if it wouldn't be working, it would be down to a person to get it working like IRL... your right about it depends if the area has power or if a backup generator is on.
Most fire alarms use 9Volt batteries, atleast here in Norway. They also have a test button that makes it beep until you press the button again. Could be useful for actual use in a home. A item you can press the test button and throw. Or maybe even a trap where if they walk over a certain place there will be some kind of mechanism that trips the alarm.

Thread starter #11

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
PIC for refrence
You got me there Mads, I was actually thinking of an industrial type where you gotta smash the glass and press the button... something like in a school maybe but normal house alarms are also cool... and normal house alarms could be removed and used with a trap maybe...

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
You got me there Mads, I was actually thinking of an industrial type where you gotta smash the glass and press the button... something like in a school maybe but normal house alarms are also cool... and normal house alarms could be removed and used with a trap maybe...
Ah i get you, maybe the industrial once would be non detachable and found in the bigger buildings? While the one i posted would be the one you can find on walls of houses or just laying around. I guess getting the power and water going to an industrial building and then pulling the alarm would be pretty satisfying and maybe it would attract all the zombies in the town there for an hour or two?

Thread starter #13

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Oh and less not forget..... Wet T-shirt competitions! eh eh :D

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Due to this being a island (and confirmed in the latest update) they use a water tower pressure system which all water should still be on for every structure. Now that being said, most sprinkler systems have a pressure tank hooked to the main line with added chemicals to help put out fires. You could simply add something like Pure chlorine which will burn there eyes, irritate there skin and in some high doses give 1st degree chemical burns. Useful for humans not zombies but is a great deterrent.

Davz Not Here

Backer
Due to this being a island (and confirmed in the latest update) they use a water tower pressure system which all water should still be on for every structure. Now that being said, most sprinkler systems have a pressure tank hooked to the main line with added chemicals to help put out fires. You could simply add something like Pure chlorine which will burn there eyes, irritate there skin and in some high doses give 1st degree chemical burns. Useful for humans not zombies but is a great deterrent.
pressure tanks require electricity, minimum trickle yes, the one on my house does and all the larger ones i am looking at buying do. i have seen a few which do not require electricity ..... but you do need electricity to run the air compressor that fills the air bladder .....

modern day water tower pressure is only partly gravity, pumps (electric) are required ..... although i have seen many a gravity fed water system that function at almost 'hotel pressure' levels

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
pressure tanks require electricity, minimum trickle yes, the one on my house does and all the larger ones i am looking at buying do. i have seen a few which do not require electricity ..... but you do need electricity to run the air compressor that fills the air bladder .....

modern day water tower pressure is only partly gravity, pumps (electric) are required ..... although i have seen many a gravity fed water system that function at almost 'hotel pressure' levels
I don't think that's right.... Most water towers are simply pressure tanks themselves. High enough (in elevation) to provide the pressure needed to distribute potable water. Even without power they would still function pretty well. (now I don't know about new ones but they could be both parts gravity and electrically assisted)

Some of the pressure tanks I have seen (for sprinkler systems) are not air compressed or electrically compressed. It is merely a small storage tank for pressurized water.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer

I see what you are saying. So I looked it up. There are electrically driven pumps that deliver the water to the tower but not for distribution. So as long as the tower doesn't run out water will be delivered everywhere. My apologies.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I don't think that's right.... Most water towers are simply pressure tanks themselves. High enough (in elevation) to provide the pressure needed to distribute potable water. Even without power they would still function pretty well. (now I don't know about new ones but they could be both parts gravity and electrically assisted)
well from what i know of the Atlantic City, New Jersey, and other small islands of that chain (down to Cape May) ..... the water tanks, and each island has it's own, are both ..... gravity and electric, with the electric part being to maintain pressure (air compressors) and some pumping (past the first elbow joint after gravity does it's thing)

Some of the pressure tanks I have seen (for sprinkler systems) are not air compressed or electrically compressed. It is merely a small storage tank for pressurized water.
the pressurized water requires and air bladder, which needs to be filled on installation, and refilled every once so often, which requires an air compressor, which requires electricity .....

i'll concede, and fair enough, that it might have been fresh filled, or still functioning