• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Gag Reflex

Thread starter #1

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I believe this should be added and tied into the medical/health system. It helps in protecting the lungs and body from fowl bacteria/virus infested odors such as dead bodies or decomposing sewage. I would like for it to be implemented as a way to slow down players traveling through sewer systems if those are ever added. Along with possibly warning those who are close to a zombie but can't quite see it. Of course it should have a noise factor to it that will alert nearby zombies. If ignored and exposure to such fumes is continued then respiratory illnesses could be induced.

As for how it could be done in the game I would think stopping the player momentarily and causing their visual window to move along with causing the player to emit a sound would be sufficient. I know literally nothing about code though so I'm not sure how complicated this concept could be. I think it shouldn't just be a constantly repeated thing. Should happen periodically depending on the potency of the smell/odor. Zombies could have a default amount at all times unless there are different types of decomposition for some, which would be higher/lower.

If zombies were to gather into one place then maybe have it where after a certain amount ( 5 for example) would increase the level of smell/odor for as long as they were in proximity of one another. Places such as sewers could have varying levels of odor/smell. The range of the players detection of smells/odors should be relatively small unless there would be ways to increase it.

Last edited:
Thread starter #3

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
It sounds like a pretty good idea to me. There should also be a more level based thing with this, like me I have very well 'trained' gag reflexes so I barely ever throw up.
That's a possibility, though I was thinking along the lines of if it's a low to moderate level of odor then it could simply make you gag and cough. It would require much higher levels to actually make you vomit, which would halt your progress completely for a few seconds.

jackjack7386

Survivalist
Backer
When I first read the title I thought "what a stupid suggestion, that's the kind of suggestion you would find on the Dayz subreddit" then when I read it I actually think this is partially a good idea.

In my opinion I think it should be more of a cough if you enter a foul smelling place or if you get close to a foul smelling object. The option to use a cloth to mask the smell would also be a good implementation to this and maybe by having the cloth in your face one hand is occupied and it may obstruct your view slightly.

Thread starter #5

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
When I first read the title I thought "what a stupid suggestion, that's the kind of suggestion you would find on the Dayz subreddit" then when I read it I actually think this is partially a good idea.

In my opinion I think it should be more of a cough if you enter a foul smelling place or if you get close to a foul smelling object. The option to use a cloth to mask the smell would also be a good implementation to this and maybe by having the cloth in your face one hand is occupied and it may obstruct your view slightly.
Yes, I was thinking of adding ways to lessen the affect as well. While the cloth would lessen the noise you generate I think it shouldn't do anything to protect you from catching a respiratory illness. You would need something like an actual respirator or gas mask to completely nullify the dangers. Didn't think about the penalty of having to use a hand for it, a good idea as well.

Jeiku-hakase

Backer
I really like this idea in terms of zombies rather then sewers. Particularly the dead ones. I assume corpses will have to despawn like most games, but it would be nice if areas where a lot of zombies have died get progressively more foul smelling. The smell would attract more zombies, and cause the player to gag/get sick like you guys are saying.

As a result, setting up a small base and mowing down zombies in the front yard won't be a good idea, since the stench could force you out of your home, or attract more zombies. Something you see in a lot of zombie survival media is survivors gathering up and burning bodies around their encampments. For the sake of simplicity, something easy like using buckets of water and soap to clean up could be a potential option for long term bases, provided you can find them.

jackjack7386

Survivalist
Backer
I really like this idea in terms of zombies rather then sewers. Particularly the dead ones. I assume corpses will have to despawn like most games, but it would be nice if areas where a lot of zombies have died get progressively more foul smelling. The smell would attract more zombies, and cause the player to gag/get sick like you guys are saying.

As a result, setting up a small base and mowing down zombies in the front yard won't be a good idea, since the stench could force you out of your home, or attract more zombies. Something you see in a lot of zombie survival media is survivors gathering up and burning bodies around their encampments. For the sake of simplicity, something easy like using buckets of water and soap to clean up could be a potential option for long term bases, provided you can find them.
"something easy like using buckets of water and soap to clean up" - That just made me think of Viscera Cleanup Detail... It would be great if zombies came in hoards, to just be throwing all the bodies on a fire at the end of it and having someone go around, mopping the blood up.

TheClassiness

Could also be an interesting weapon. Dumping a bunch of dead, rotting animals on enemies would make them gag and puke from the smell, which makes them easy targets. Of course, this would be more of a "We're out of options" tactic, unless you had a seriously organized base.