• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Game-important breathing (Mainly PvP)

Thread starter #1

VenomB

Hype Train Conductor
Backer
Short explanation:

Breathing should be something that is heard when abnormal by the player, and those surrounding the player (PvP). After running for a certain amount of time, you'll notice louder breathing, which can be heard by any players within a certain hearing distance, with the distance being increased as the amount of breathing is increased.

Long explanation:

If you take some time to notice how hard you are breathing right now, how is it? Could you notice that you're breathing, or did you just come to ignore it because it is so normal for you? If you go out for a five minute jog, did your breathing change? You probably would notice that you are breathing a bit heavier (and louder), but not too loud. If you now go for a 10 minute sprint without any breaks, how heavy (and loud) is your breathing? Not only will you notice/hear your own breathing in a different way than you would when comfortable, but people around you will hear you taking in deep and heavy breaths. Something like this would tie really well together to increase atmosphere within the game as well as drive people to remember to not always just sprint to your next location. This can all be tied together with a "fitness" system, energy bar, or even an RPG-style experience system.

Mechanics:

When at a walking/resting/relaxed phase your breath will be inaudible. I recommend having it be inaudible simply because it would get rather annoying to hear every breath your in-game self takes and could cause a sort of uncomfortable vibe with the player (personal experience). No one will hear you breathing.

When running, your breath will become noticeable as the character uses energy and requires larger amounts of breath to continue at that pace. At this point, the player will notice his/her breathing and the breathing becomes more noticeable the longer the running goes on. Not only will the player hear it, though. Players within whisper-quieter talking distance will hear the breathing as well.

If running/sprinting for longer distances/time, the breathing gets louder as the character gasps for air.

Since the above can be harsh for the more stealthy players, being able to hold your breath would be a good mechanic to quickly (but temporarily) calm the breathing, if not also help get the player back to breathing normally. This mechanic would work just as holding one's breath under water or when in a rifle scope would.

References:

Games that have done a mechanic similiar would be the Arma series, DayZ, and..... I hate saying that I can't think of any others. If you can, let me know.

Just to point out, I hate having to reference DayZ (both mod and SA) when trying to come up with ideas for this game. But let's face that these games are not hard to come by, so it is easy to have to steal certain ideas from them.

Facerafter

Backer
DayZ had the "Luck" to be built on the Arma Engine which already supporting things like this, item weight, backpacks, etc..

But the idea seems pretty solid.
This can (Agian DayZ due to the Arma Engine) also be used for the accuracy with weapons shortly after sprinting. I would say this mechanic is rather PvE, since PvP will be I think for somewhat longer distances and this would attract Zombies.

Thread starter #3

VenomB

Hype Train Conductor
Backer
DayZ had the "Luck" to be built on the Arma Engine which already supporting things like this, item weight, backpacks, etc..

But the idea seems pretty solid.
This can (Agian DayZ due to the Arma Engine) also be used for the accuracy with weapons shortly after sprinting. I would say this mechanic is rather PvE, since PvP will be I think for somewhat longer distances and this would attract Zombies.
Thanks for your feedback! The idea sounds great to me for both PvE and PvP. PvE is simply the idea of hiding or sneaking passed zombies. To me, the idea of hiding (another idea I want to post if it hasn't been done already) under a bed or in a locker-type place when a better-armed bandit shows up and holding your breath after running would add such a suspenseful feel to the game.

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
This will make you think twice before running for no reason at all. Stay stealthy and save your breath.. You never know who's around the corner ;)

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
Thanks for your feedback! The idea sounds great to me for both PvE and PvP. PvE is simply the idea of hiding or sneaking passed zombies. To me, the idea of hiding (another idea I want to post if it hasn't been done already) under a bed or in a locker-type place when a better-armed bandit shows up and holding your breath after running would add such a suspenseful feel to the game.
Also, thanks for the laugh (Your signature)

TheClassiness

Maybe after running for a long time, exhausting yourself, and then running again, your character could hit their limit? This would involve maybe slower stamina regen, and not being able to full out sprint? Jogs might be manageable for a minute or two, but if you keep pushing your character over and over your stamina will take a hard hit. Breathing should also be affected by things covering their mouth. If you're wearing a bandana over your mouth, your mouth is blocked, and getting air would be a harder thing to do. Having certain items which limit breathing could be interesting for hostages or something like that. They end up escaping, but they're so out of breath their stamina is low. A slightly darker way of looking at the breathing system, but it should still be an option.