• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Generator Quiet Box.

Thread starter #1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I was thinking of the biggest downside to generators (sound) and done a little search and this came up.

Not time or resource consuming to build and the result sounds very good imo.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I like it. You could probably line the openings with felt (tacked along the top sides only) to still allow air to flow while further dampening the sound particularly from escaping the openings.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I am sure you have all seen this or heard of someone doing it but if you take this exact same thing but weld an exhaust extension and an "air line" you can reduce the noise by 30% but still have the Genny get fresh air and properly vent the exhaust. Doing this will also allow you to fully encapsulate the Genny which can be good if you put hinges and several pad locks to prevent people from stealing parts or the Genny itself. The Genny itself doesn't make the highest amount noise, the exhaust does so that's a downside. The only thing I can see going wrong with doing it the way shown in the video is that some or a good portion of the exhaust gas can get stuck in the box and go back into the intake causing it to be too lean (or rich I always get them backwards). Doing it this modified way can keep the Genny from overheating or running rough causing early failures. I looked at the video but the placement of the vents on the box are not really shown well to where the Air intake and exhaust are.

What do yall think?

Thread starter #4

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I was actually going to suggest the exhaust version until I seen this, because of the more reduced noise... the overheating could be a good downside so you can't have the generator covered 24/7 so it would be best to save it for the nights or using a generator away from base.

But the exhaust version could also be craft-able because its unlikely to overheat, the only cons are it's less quiet and more use for a group rather than a solo player... but both could use it ofc.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
One question. Why? Aside from the obvious answer, which is, it reduces noise. What's the point in doing so? Zombies are meant to find and harass you. If not for sound and light how else are they to realistically pinpoint your location? If zombies are going to find you regardless then what's the point in adding sound if it's easily muffled or lights for that matter if someone suggests a way to reduce its visibility?

Personally I disagree with this suggestion and see it as a possible blunder. Primarily for the fact that the noise of the generator is a balanced con. In exchange for electricity and its various uses you're subject to a greater degree of threat due to realistic circumstances. Zombies being revived dead humans have only the senses that we possess at their disposal, albeit diminished, in order to locate and attack. Making these null and void would essentially remove any value they had as gameplay mechanics and sum up the undeads role as unaware instruments of coding.

While that's essentially what they are, in the context of the game that makes for a boring and unengaging experience. I'd find it much more enjoyable if I had to choose between using a generator to survive the night or abstaining. It would mimic a realistic survival decision given that situation and advocate for different playstyles. While with the above suggestion you could decide to go a night without a generator, the incentive to do so would be largely absent.

Without a way to eliminate generator noise you have two deciding options that lead to an array of situations depending on circumstances. Examples being, you can go without the power, possibly suffer from colder temperatures, but be less likely attacked by a larger horde as you have little means of defending yourself. You could also try to conserve your ammunition for exploring during the day in order to acquire resources to fortify your residences.

Alternatively, perhaps you're dying of dehydration or malnutrition and you don't have the resources or time to build a fire. In such a case using the generator would be preferable to immediate death as you still have a chance of surviving once you've recovered your health to an extent. If in the event you have no feasible way of surviving despite the given circumstance you're always left with the option of fleeing. If the generator and lights work well enough to hold the undead's attention you could sleep by them in order to find a better and more immediate place of safety. There are other examples I could imagine, but I think those four are well enough to get my point across.

Now, you may argue that the quiet box/muffler would only decrease the difficult slightly. In which case that seems like quite a fair mechanic. But, it begs my previous question of why? If it's not a substantial difference then what's the point? To make the game easier, simply put. Which, instead of, I'd rather see additions that offer more defenses and require a decision or action on the players part. While this quiet box/muffler can be considered such an object, instead of having a delayed and dual purpose it would have a singular and instant one.

Barricaded windows don't affect the zombies directly, it simply prolongs the time players have to act. This is something I'd label a "reactionary mechanic". Where as the quiet box/muffler affects zombies directly before they even approach the house. Significantly reducing the threat without much thought or action on the player's part. This is something I'd label an "actionary mechanic". Personally I feel actionary mechanics take away from engagement which means less effort on the players part and thus reward while playing.

If you survive the night by your barricades and quick action it's more satisfying as it was visibly more of a consequence of your actions. If you survive the night by your generator being silent, it's not as rewarding as you don't see the affects aside from noticing a smaller horde attack. With the barricades, it's a cycle in order to maintain them. With the quiet box/muffler it's a constant affect without any interaction on the players part. Unless it's given a durability, but then it's becomes more tedium

I've gone on long enough I feel and I need to attend to some things. Overall, I feel this suggestion and those like it would be taking away a necessary game mechanic for immersion and enjoyment. If it were to ever be implemented I'd rather see it as a mod, something additional, for those who want to focus more on exploring or other the facets of the game instead of surviving.

Last edited:
Thread starter #7

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Point well made.
One question. Why?
But to answer this, I'm just throwing out ideas ;) :p

I was just thinking to lower the noise around you... just so you can be more aware of your surroundings more, aswell as loweing the noise so not to attract unwanted attention because its something that I'd imagine people would make after they have had time to adjust and adapt to the new world and everyday threat... but I totally respect and get your point.

A mod would be fine :)

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer
@Bchhog

you do have a list of valid points.

i still agree with the idea of a muffler box, i never knew they existed until i owned a geny. after i had owned one awhile, i devised my own version of a sound dampener. Only to have a friend, upon seeing it, point out a long list of flaws in it, and pointed me to several books about it ..... the new one is much better ..... my '81 sears /craftsman geny puts out 2650watts / 3k peak for 4 hours on 1/2g of gas, not too bad, but loud.

that's enough power to run a full 4 piece band, with lights and PA sys. + a computer recording it live

so .....

a compromise, or two, to this might be:

gen. quality (age, engine type, power output, etc) vs. noise output (in dB)

a 2nd option, (which could be added as well as the 1st) would be the noise suppressor / muffler / air intake box could be a skill learned later in the players character dev.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@Bchhog While you do make several valid points as to whats the point... But if we are going to try to Survive the Night there are still things we need to do so having lighting, machine tools, ovens and so on is a good thing as there is never enough time in the day to do so. Dampening the sound by say 35% is still no where near quite. Its still around 50-60 db's which is still audible for at about a 1/4 mile and in no way will put a damper on the zombie/player finding your base. As I pointed out there is a secondary affect to this as well... Security. To be able to strengthen or prevent for some time someone being able to walk up to your Genny and loot parts/gas from it is a good thing.

This game is not L4D where the goal is to run through a mass amount of zombies in a one way path, it is to attempt to survive as much as possible. Any and all tricks we can use are well worth consideration. It will take some time for someone to get to this stage anyway as from what we have seen most Genny's will have parts missing and require scavenging and require a decent amount of gas. So for someone who is just starting out this will not be an option for them but for the tenure survivor. Food for thought. I like it but we are all in this together what ever the populous decides!

Thanks,

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
gen. quality (age, engine type, power output, etc) vs. noise output (in dB)[/USER]
This would require balancing and do two things of note. The first, is decrease survival difficulty as already pointed out. The second, possibly increase PvP depending how balancing was handled. To elaborate, if noise is dependent on generator parameters then the generators with the most advantage would need to be rare in order equal out the advantage. If they were commonplace then it would be no different from simply adding the quiet box/muffler to the game.

Depending on the rarity, the incentive to rob people of their generators increases as it could be relatively easier to follow that path compared to the search and loot method. What this does is decrease one threat, but increases another, of which is frowned upon and disadvantaged due to the game's intent. While it would add to participation on the players part, I don't think it would do much else.

While one could argue the increase in PvP is equal to the decrease in zombie threat, I'd ask again, what's the point? The default option of a simple generator is more favorable.

@Bchhog While you do make several valid points as to whats the point... But if we are going to try to Survive the Night there are still things we need to do so having lighting, machine tools, ovens and so on is a good thing as there is never enough time in the day to do so. Dampening the sound by say 35% is still no where near quite. Its still around 50-60 db's which is still audible for at about a 1/4 mile and in no way will put a damper on the zombie/player finding your base. As I pointed out there is a secondary affect to this as well... Security. To be able to strengthen or prevent for some time someone being able to walk up to your Genny and loot parts/gas from it is a good thing.

This game is not L4D where the goal is to run through a mass amount of zombies in a one way path, it is to attempt to survive as much as possible. Any and all tricks we can use are well worth consideration. It will take some time for someone to get to this stage anyway as from what we have seen most Genny's will have parts missing and require scavenging and require a decent amount of gas. So for someone who is just starting out this will not be an option for them but for the tenure survivor. Food for thought. I like it but we are all in this together what ever the populous decides!

Thanks,
If the quiet box/muffler has no affect on detection then most of my complaints are null. Wouldn't it be easier to have the generator malfunction and stop running in the event of someone tampering with it? That would alert you just as much as if you could hear them over the hum of the engine. The same could be said if you were storing it indoors. You could hear the bashing of the lock or even the door. The structure containing it would act as a natural quiet box of sorts.

I say they're only worth consideration after much consideration. If it's intended for late game use, and doesn't directly affect zombie detection I could tolerate its usage. Mainly as regardless of quiet box/muffler use, potential thieves could infer the use of a generator by the presence of gas cans, lights, and locks on storage buildings.

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer
@Bchhog While you do make several valid points as to whats the point... But if we are going to try to Survive the Night there are still things we need to do so having lighting, machine tools, ovens and so on is a good thing

ok ..... while i am 100% FOR the sounds dampener, there can be a compromise ..... i must point out to @NothingsTRUE that if this is your mind set, when it comes to survival, you are most certainly going about it backwards .....

that being said, later down the line, when a person becomes what they think is 'stationary and secure', sure ..... but from the get go ..... good luck finding a simple match ..... bow and stick tech ..... bow and stick

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I fudged the snipit up...

@Davz Not Here There are a million and one reasons why I would risk running a Genny at night to be able to achieve certain tasks but To your point, yes there are candles, wood burning stoves, and so on but the simple fact of being able to work with faster technology to achieve something is always worth some risk. If it was me I would put the Genny 5 or 6 houses down and run the power line with the power lines and into my house. Also acts as a diversion and I get power without the horde and If I choose to put in only a set amount of gas than it runs out and shuts itself off.

@Bchhog it will have some affect on zombies as stated above it will only draw in zeds within your area and not mile/s away. But I see your point.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
@Bchhog it will have some affect on zombies as stated above it will only draw in zeds within your area and not mile/s away. But I see your point.
In that case, it really depends on how zombie AI is handled. Will the hordes bunch together and migrate at night? Perhaps they spawn periodically across the map at nightfall? If you thin them out around your residence during the day will that mean less problems later on? Only the Devs can decide.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
In that case, it really depends on how zombie AI is handled. Will the hordes bunch together and migrate at night? Perhaps they spawn periodically across the map at nightfall? If you thin them out around your residence during the day will that mean less problems later on? Only the Devs can decide.
This is a good point. If the Zombie AI only spawns within a certain radius of a player than the quite box is really null and void unless they want to make it OP like you have to be within a hundred yards to hear it. We will have to see.

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer
i can see where you all are coming from with a noise damper reducing the challenge but i'd like to point out that when their no longer a challenge people tend to experiment and explore meaning just because your home is a safe place doesn't mean your safe from yourself; also i'd like to make a point of say that learning the rules of your new world and adapting to them is just the theme of survival games there will always be ways to reduce the risk to yourself take The Forest for example i can secure myself behind a big ass wall build myself a sustainable home base conquer the caves and still get my ass kicked from time to time why because i take a calculated risk and it backfires, i get cocky, i get bored, i occasionally get the crazy idea that in a cannibal infest island forest i am somehow "safe". no matter what these games will never stop challenging us and sometimes we will fail to meet it. so yes i do think that we should be able to reduce the risk to ourselves and yes i do think the game will own us anyway. +1 on the generator muffler thank you that is all

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
i can see where you all are coming from with a noise damper reducing the challenge but i'd like to point out that when their no longer a challenge people tend to experiment and explore meaning just because your home is a safe place doesn't mean your safe from yourself; also i'd like to make a point of say that learning the rules of your new world and adapting to them is just the theme of survival games there will always be ways to reduce the risk to yourself take The Forest for example i can secure myself behind a big ass wall build myself a sustainable home base conquer the caves and still get my ass kicked from time to time why because i take a calculated risk and it backfires, i get cocky, i get bored, i occasionally get the crazy idea that in a cannibal infest island forest i am somehow "safe". no matter what these games will never stop challenging us and sometimes we will fail to meet it. so yes i do think that we should be able to reduce the risk to ourselves and yes i do think the game will own us anyway. +1 on the generator muffler thank you that is all
While true, the challenge of oneself is uncertain. One can't reliably depend on themselves for challenge always. They must add or take away something given to them whether that be items or control. Given that, one can freely decide when to shift difficulty and that sense of control will ultimately take away from the challenge and fear.

I'm sure at times while you were bored and exploring you had a trove of healing items in the event of attack. If not, then you likely didn't mind dying as you would respawn back at your base without losing anything. There's always forms of security that one can rely on unless negated by the game's laws.

The method of reducing risk is dependent on the game's mechanics. If you were unable to build walls or a tree house in The Forest could you as easily reduce the risk to your character? If the walls were weaker then you would be required to adapt strategically. Placing them in ways that benefited methods of defense/attack or choosing your base location more carefully. In this regard, it forces players to choose and act more based on their reasoning and experiences. Not simply, these walls are better let's build them.

Adapting and altering gameplay is inevitable for players, but I'd rather much see such things being largely a result of player action instead of simple game mechanic.

Davz Not Here

Backer
ok game play aside for one second .....

this quote right here .....
While true, the challenge of oneself is uncertain. One can't reliably depend on themselves for challenge always. They must add or take away something given to them whether that be items or control. Given that, one can freely decide when to shift difficulty and that sense of control will ultimately take away from the challenge and fear.
is such a brilliant observation, in part, of 'the human condition'

spot on ..... had to write that one down in my journal .....

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer

I'm sure at times while you were bored and exploring you had a trove of healing items in the event of attack. If not, then you likely didn't mind dying as you would respawn back at your base without losing anything. There's always forms of security that one can rely on unless negated by the game's laws.

The method of reducing risk is dependent on the game's mechanics. If you were unable to build walls or a tree house in The Forest could you as easily reduce the risk to your character? If the walls were weaker then you would be required to adapt strategically. Placing them in ways that benefited methods of defense/attack or choosing your base location more carefully. In this regard, it forces players to choose and act more based on their reasoning and experiences. Not simply, these walls are better let's build them.

Adapting and altering gameplay is inevitable for players, but I'd rather much see such things being largely a result of player action instead of simple game mechanic.
i'd like to respond but feel this would direct this thread away from it main discussion if you'd like to continue this debate i'd very much enjoy it we could continue it through a pm

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but i would like to add my two cents. I think the use of the generator box would not be to eliminate zombies coming to the sound of the generator, but simply reduce the amount attracted to it. As for the anti-stealing, I think its prefect since it keeps those who aren't equipped with a gun or weapon from just stealing it (many of those players would mostly be the kind who just signed on to the server, play it for a few minutes to an hour and then leave, never to join the server again, having stolen your stuff and left it in data limbo where it is gone...forever). The game already has the mechanics for this on place with the door/storage lock system, where players need a weapon of some kind that can destroy the lock. The box would be a deterrent for thief's and zombies. Also, the box may make the generator stand out more, unless you camouflage it (which would be cool).