1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden/silver rings, watches and neckleses to melt into materials.

Discussion in 'Items' started by Huginn, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Huginn

Huginn Active Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Zombies could contain rings, watches and neckleses that are possibel to take, when they are killed. This could be melted into rawmaterials that could be used for other recipies or a curency

2. Hauger

Hauger Moderator Community Mod Backer

Apr 17, 2016
    Don't see it used as a currency. Then you would have to kill zeds to be abler to trade with anyone, I don't like that. Besides gold and silver would be worthless in the zed apocalypse. No value since there is no real use for them.

Maybe it could be melted down and re-used as bullets. Pretty much anything works as a shotgun pellet.

3. Huginn

Huginn Active Member

Aug 10, 2017

I would disagree, on that the material aint used in zed apocalypse. Its all used in in elektronics and mecanics. Alot of the parts even use other materials, instead of gold and silver, simply because its cheeper. those metals have good material properties.

4. Hauger

Apr 17, 2016
    You think you are gonna be making new circuit boards/repairing stuff like that in a zed apocalypse? :p The avg.joe does not know how to do that. The avg.joe does not even know what soldering is, much less have the skills and knowledge to do it. So not very likely. Gold especially is used bc of it's good conductive abilities. When that matter of abilities stops being useful (Like in a zed apocalypse, when the avg.joe can't use it in that regard) it looses it's value.

A use for metals like that, if any, in a zed apocalypse would be bullets, since they have a low melting point and can easily be melted down and made into bullets. Not good ones, just bullets.

5. Huginn

Huginn Active Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I must admit that i dont know exactly how far it is post today, but assuming that some people havent kept the abillity to read is unlikely for the larger groups of survivers, since its very useful for communication and if you can read, y can easily obtain some basic knowledge about elektronic etc.

(on short "view", physical abillitys would be importen, but over the long run basic knowledge is benificial, especially if you have a more stationary leving, "hunters" vs "farmers" and this ofcause depends how long this has been going on, but I think that its most likely that the must efficient is the "farming strategi" since we through history from the past saw that the human species very fast changed from the "hunter/gather" startegi to "farmer strategi" when the "technology" was known/introduced to the humans ) and it could as well be learned from generation to generation as the old days and binding some wires together do not require the high IQ. Stuff like solar panels, solar collector, alarms, timers, nightvision googles, generators, radio, heatexchanger etc. could be essentials to make a living way more easier to survive.

im not thinking that they are making circuit boards from scratch, but instead use wires (as far as I know circuit boards are only used to insure a system instead of wires, that dont take as much space, as wires would. also plz have in mind that metals as well could be used for more mechanic purpose as well

6. Hauger

Apr 17, 2016
    Gold and silver is soft, a poor material for any mechanics. You want hard metals.
    Game is set around the 2000's.

When you look at it they way you describe, by learning stuff from books, any and all trades/skills/knowledge would be obtainable. We could make nukes in the long run. I like the idea for something more simple, but like I've said, something the avg.joe can do.

I also know this is not, and won't be in the game :)

7. Huginn

Huginn Active Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I dont think that It should be possibel to make nukes etc. but simpler elektronics, mechanics should be, but if the boundarys is set to low mechanicel and close to zero electronics by the dev. then year theres not much to use it for.

8. DZS

DZS Survivor Backer

Jul 12, 2017
    Simple circuits are possible to make, anyone with basic knowledge on radio's can do this. Also i wanted to create a thread on jewelry but done a search seeing it had already long ago been talked about. Mostly i wanted to discuss the last Russian Tsar and his family how some of them didn't die immediately during the assassination due to their clothing with many precious jewels sewed in, the jewels deflected bullets. In this case jewels can be Armour.

Dr. J likes this.
  9. Handicap Jack

Handicap Jack Up for a laugh and down for giggle. Backer

Jul 23, 2015
    On the point of gold and silver being useless beyond electronics it is not... gold silver and copper have properties that are beneficial in medical applications (dental, antibacterial and for sterile tools) and has always been a standard material we have used in trade from early human history due to these and other properties...

On the point of the "avg joe" not being able to employ or learn the skills needed to develope these materials into useful items I would say is a moot point as the "avg joe" in a zed apocolypse would either be among the first dead or would have ro latch onto a person with a broad knowlage they can immediatly draw upon and build further to survive or have the ability to adapt and learn quickly, nothing average about that.