• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Grappling Hook

Thread starter #1

Fraesser

Fraesser
Backer
I think this could come to good use for climbing up buildings to gather loot. It could also be used to get away by getting down if you are in a sticky situation. This would be fairly simple to make because all it needs is rope and some metal for hooks so it can grab onto ledges. Though u would need to weld it together.

Materials you would need:
-1 Bundle of rope
-5 Scrap Metal pieces

Tools needed:
-Welder
-Vice grip to bend metal (maybe)
-And of coarse the knowledge to tie a good knot otherwise you may have a pretty far drop.
-You would also have to be fairly physically strong to be able to throw the grappling hook up and climb the rope to get up.
image.jpg image.jpg

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
This is a great idea, but I'm not sure how it would work without people being able to glitch the game. As mechanics wise, like have certain spots on building where you can throw your grappling hook up?

Thread starter #3

Fraesser

Fraesser
Backer
This is a great idea, but I'm not sure how it would work without people being able to glitch the game. As mechanics wise, like have certain spots on building where you can throw your grappling hook up?
Yes exactly it should only be able to work on window ledges to enter a building or leave the building from a higher story. If they are boarded up though it shouldn't be able to work then.

Moderator #5

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
This is a great idea good sir! but as @TheDwemerComrade has posted it could turn out to be a bit buggy. saying that. with the unity engine wouldn't you have to make certain spots on building have a mesh? allowing the hook to grip? which could then use the function of a ladder?

Tally Ho!

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
If there were only designated places for the hook I can see this working.

I was thinking the use of a ol' fashion Grappling hook would be cool. so if you get caught on the ground with a horde you could through a grappling hook onto a rooftop and climb up to the roof to avoid death. Also could lead to the ability to scale the buildings and get into windows. Maybe make this out of a rope and scrap metal.

FuzioN

Backer
That would actually be really really cool and make camping spots ontop of buildings less safe.

there should be some limitations thou, becuse otherwise it will be impossible to keep your own house safe from others raiding it.

WillRock

Backer
Rope condition so that after so many uses it could break? Bad timing should it happen while trying to escape. Perhaps have it where the hook can be dislodged by a player with a crowbar sending the would be infiltrator crashing to the ground.

On a side note, a bad toss might miss the ledge and the hook could very well fall on the player causing wounds or even a Darwinian death.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Hate to be a Downer but this was posted awhile ago, it was posted in the backer section so it's understandable that you wouldn't have been able to see it.

It is a feature that would be interesting, the main problem is something that was discussed in the backer section which is glitch's and the game engine. It was decided I believe that they would have to have limited areas in which you could use the grappling hook, they also brought up the idea of boarding up windows to keep people from being able to climb up. It would be interesting if a besieged player could unhook a grappling hook while defending their home, a player climbing up would need to have someone defending them. I am also sure there are trap's people could create to stop people from using grapling hook's, I have suggested a few offensive and defensive window device's.

@WillRock's idea I think it would be interesting if a falling grappling hook could injure the player. It makes sense and it would be hilarious to see a already injured player die by being hit on the head by a hook.

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
I'd be all for scaling DOWN buildings using a rope tied to something ontop of the roof. But firing a grappling hook up a building and ATTACHING to it.. Nah, not really realistic :D

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I'd be all for scaling DOWN buildings using a rope tied to something ontop of the roof. But firing a grappling hook up a building and ATTACHING to it.. Nah, not really realistic :D
I don't think anyone said anything about a grappling hook launcher, I think everyone would want the ability to toss it up with their own strength. A thought to keep people from using it too much, maybe the height that you can throw the hook would depend on how healthy you charecter is. So a unhealthy player can't just scale every building they find to steal thing's.

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
I don't think anyone said anything about a grappling hook launcher, I think everyone would want the ability to toss it up with their own strength. A thought to keep people from using it too much, maybe the height that you can throw the hook would depend on how healthy you charecter is. So a unhealthy player can't just scale every building they find to steal thing's.
Then again the chances of the hook sticking to something is very low :p

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Then again the chances of the hook sticking to something is very low :p
lol you are completly right I remember I made a DIY grappling hook as a kid and me and my cousin tried climbing with it. It was pretty hard to get it to stick, climbing was also extremely hard. I think it should be really hard for players to climb up using a grappling hook, also besides depending on your physical health it should also depend on the total weight. It should be almost impossible to climb without a nearly empty inventory depending on how strong you are and if you have actual climbing equipment.

Madsl

The Meme guy
Backer
lol you are completly right I remember I made a DIY grappling hook as a kid and me and my cousin tried climbing with it. It was pretty hard to get it to stick, climbing was also extremely hard. I think it should be really hard for players to climb up using a grappling hook, also besides depending on your physical health it should also depend on the total weight. It should be almost impossible to climb without a nearly empty inventory depending on how strong you are and if you have actual climbing equipment.
Yeah, maybe for descent climbing you can find different types of rope? if you just use a regular rope without safety you have to be in very good form to climb down. But if you find a better quality rope with safety clips you don't need to be the fittest to go down.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah it would be easier and safer to climb with safety equipment and climbing rope. Like I said before if you are too heavy it should make it a lot harder to climb so if you had stolen a bunch of items and the only way out was the way you came you very well might fall to your death. That's why if they add this I will be covering my house/base in traps from the window sills to the stair cases ohh the horrors I will have for any intruder lol. I hope they add my Antoinette trap it would be perfect for protecting aginst climbing intruders.

Zacalog

Yeah it would be easier and safer to climb with safety equipment and climbing rope. Like I said before if you are too heavy it should make it a lot harder to climb so if you had stolen a bunch of items and the only way out was the way you came you very well might fall to your death. That's why if they add this I will be covering my house/base in traps from the window sills to the stair cases ohh the horrors I will have for any intruder lol. I hope they add my Antoinette trap it would be perfect for protecting aginst climbing intruders.
If I grabbed too many things that I couldn't climb back down, I'm dropping it over the edge!