• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Hearing Loss

Should hearing mechanics be added?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

UndeadSwat

Backer
Ok so i thought we could add a feature that would focus on hearing loss
For example:
an explosion that happens near you or Shooting a weapon lowers your hearing by *random number percentage* and each time you keep on shooting your hearing gets lower and lower.
A way you can prevent this is by having earplugs. you basically add two types of earplugs into the game by having regular Earplugs and military Earplugs
Regular Earplugs: completely blocks off sound
Military Earplugs: Blocks off gunshot sounds but allows you to hear basic sounds, footsteps, talking, Etc.
Whether or not they are hard to find is up to developers, if it is included within the game. just an idea :p

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like this... and it's something that would effect different players depending on skill, experience and general resilience. Some people can handle more so than others but adds in interesting element to think about.

Yes from me.

Ulrick

Backer
For example:
an explosion that happens near you or Shooting a weapon lowers your hearing by *random number percentage* and each time you keep on shooting your hearing gets lower and lower.
Hearing loss isn't an instant occurrence, instead it's a result of continued exposer over time and not always permanent. The louder the noise the shorter the amount of time of exposer needed to cause permanent hearing loss, with extremely loud sounds causing hearing loss almost instantly. For example: If you watch TV with the sound turned way up you probably won't be able to hear quite sounds for a while but after some time your ears with re-adjust and your hearing will return. But if you're constantly watching TV with the volume turned up for long periods of time you could develop percent hearing loss.
So I like the idea but I don't think it should be a random number every time something loud happens, instead it should be a random number after a certain amount of time depending on the level of noise. With louder noises having a shorter "buffer zone" before you start experiencing temporally and then permanent hearing loss.

Biff

Survivor
Backer
I think it should be something that happens when you are near explosions or maybe we can craft a noise bomb of sorts.. with gun fire, maybe a quick ringing but it shouldnt get worse with every gun shot.

Chez

Survivor
Backer
i was in the Marines for 4 years shot a lot of guns and was around explosions so will agree this is a good feature because i know i have lost a lot of hearing from shooting so much haha.

Thread starter #6

UndeadSwat

Backer
Hearing loss isn't an instant occurrence, instead it's a result of continued exposer over time and not always permanent. The louder the noise the shorter the amount of time of exposer needed to cause permanent hearing loss, with extremely loud sounds causing hearing loss almost instantly. For example: If you watch TV with the sound turned way up you probably won't be able to hear quite sounds for a while but after some time your ears with re-adjust and your hearing will return. But if you're constantly watching TV with the volume turned up for long periods of time you could develop percent hearing loss.
So I like the idea but I don't think it should be a random number every time something loud happens, instead it should be a random number after a certain amount of time depending on the level of noise. With louder noises having a shorter "buffer zone" before you start experiencing temporally and then permanent hearing loss.
i understand that it doesn't instantly happen i was just saying a random number percentage just as an example, i didn't put as much detail into the topic as i should have but thank you for correcting me i should have added that

Thread starter #7

UndeadSwat

Backer
I think it should be something that happens when you are near explosions or maybe we can craft a noise bomb of sorts.. with gun fire, maybe a quick ringing but it shouldnt get worse with every gun shot.
the thing about shooting with firearms is that the first time would provide a loud ringing since you probably wouldn't be used to the ringing but if you continuously shoot firearms it will get worse, obviously not with every single shot but it would have to get worse if you kept on shooting firearms without any sort of protection from the noise.

Biff

Survivor
Backer
the thing about shooting with firearms is that the first time would provide a loud ringing since you probably wouldn't be used to the ringing but if you continuously shoot firearms it will get worse, obviously not with every single shot but it would have to get worse if you kept on shooting firearms without any sort of protection from the noise.
Yeah, i understand that. Just thinking of the 50/50 compromise for this being incorporated into a video game. Like you get temporary ringing for a few hours after a firefight but we dont need to design a full fledged hearing loss mechanic that will , over the course of 5-10 in game years, result in tinnitus

Thread starter #9

UndeadSwat

Backer
alright i looked up some more on hearing loss and decided to add some features
- add another type of hearing protection that would completely block off hearing, which is earmuffs, specifically for firearm shooting, also having earplugs under earmuffs could work as double protection but in cost for A LOT less hearing
-also the left ear is more likely to go deaf since the firearm is more on the right than the left, depending on your hand suggestion *if your a left handed shooter then there will be more damage to the right* the devs could play with that if they decided to go that in depth with the hearing loss, like your right ear might go out first before the left does. However that's really in depth but still a suggestion
-also being in doors, or within close spaces, may cause more damage since because of the echo or the sound waves bouncing around unlike being outside
-the max amount of db that an ear could take up being going in danger of hearing loss is 85, considering that most guns go past that, hearing loss would definitely be a concern and makes other slient weapons more favorable like the crossbow or even adding a silencer depending on the guns that the devs put in, they could play around with the amount of damage that hearing would make.
-shooting a weapon without protection could give you a ringing defect that lasts for a couple in-game hours, max 8? and minimum that i've heard is 4 hours. *you could also play with the mental effect that the ringing gives you that would encourage others to not shoot, if they don't have protections they'll only shoot if they need to or at least give more reason not to*

obviously this hearing loss feature can go incredibly in depth but should probably be intended for a later update since there may be more pressing matters than this feature. But could make your survival more realistic or harder to survive if you don't pay attention to the dangers of hearing loss. If anyone wants to add any features if they're bored or something, feel free since it may help save the devs some hours from having to research this stuff. if i made any errors feel free to correct me but don't be a jerk about it i am certainly no Otolaryngologist, just a guy who wants to make this game as realistic as it can be :3

Last edited:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Kudos man, I agree with all that...

The types used on firing ranges or construction sites would be perfect, designed to cut out noise at a certain db... only downside I imagine would be not hearing incoming gunfire?... maybe within close range because most distant shots sound more like fire crackers (smaller caliber rounds) but I could be totally wrong as I have never been shot at wearing any :D