• Hello Guest,

Bug reports can be made using our in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Hidden Holes/Bouncing Betty`s

Thread starter #1
Covered up man made dug holes with spikes or not for zombies/humans to fall into. Bouncing Betty`s would be cool for when walking through tall grass areas or entrances.
upload_2017-7-7_0-40-1.jpeg

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm liking the ideas of disguised 'pit fall' type traps. They should be quick and easy to craft / build.
But what about the material list required for the bouncing Betty? A old tin can for the main structure would seem sensible, but how do you make the explosive or trigger?

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
I'm liking the ideas of disguised 'pit fall' type traps. They should be quick and easy to craft / build.
But what about the material list required for the bouncing Betty? A old tin can for the main structure would seem sensible, but how do you make the explosive or trigger?
I begun to write how you would go about crafting a bouncing betty but realised a few sentances in that doing so realisticly would be frowned apon by GCHQ lol.... besides this I think Ibrecall mention that grenades would not be a thing and so by extension bouncing betties (a millitary bit of kit) would also be off limits.
A twist to the idea could be self igniting molotoves hung from a tree that trigger and fall when a trip wire is crossed... this could be achieved using the scrap parts from a disposable camera or other capacitor and battery.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I begun to write how you would go about crafting a bouncing betty but realised a few sentances in that doing so realisticly would be frowned apon by GCHQ lol.... besides this I think Ibrecall mention that grenades would not be a thing and so by extension bouncing betties (a millitary bit of kit) would also be off limits.
A twist to the idea could be self igniting molotoves hung from a tree that trigger and fall when a trip wire is crossed... this could be achieved using the scrap parts from a disposable camera or other capacitor and battery.
I think we saw something similar in the latest trailer, with an improvised trap made up of a portable propane bottle and some other parts triggered by a gun blast.
I'd like you to continue your train of thought ... it sounds like an idea that could be easily bought in to the crafting menu using readily available items. Might it need regular maintenance (checking the stored power for the ignition mechanism was OK?).
P.S. Don't worry, you're not currently on the GCHQ official watch list.

Handicap Jack

Backer
For game purposes then yes perhaps, but a typicall improvised ignition coil could last for a very long time depending on environment... a work around to ensure maintenance is a must so they dont stay around forever could be either that the mechanism you make is just a capacitor that holds charge with no connected battery (so would slowly lose capacitence over time, eventually needing topping up) or, something I would prefer would be that the flamable liquid in the molotoves themselves begins to sublimate/evaperate, so if not refreshed with something flamable in a certain time frame the trap is only useful as a visual deterrent to be avoided just in case rather than an effective one that works on its intended target in a burst of flame.

Thread starter #7
The trigger could be electronically wired. The Explosive I have yet to find a way,

Handicap Jack

Backer
Chemical explosives in a survival/apocolyptic wprld would be hard, unsafe and inconsistant to make unless you really had a good understanding on how to make safe ball mills and the whole process... gas explosives would be easier and more accessible but lack the yield to kill/injure unless contained in large volumes.
I honestly cant think of a DIY bouncing betty that gets over the "no millitary loot" restriction, portabillity or feasabillity hurdles

Handicap Jack

Backer
ONE way on bypassing the above is to have 100% non millitary and non explosive bouncing betties....
A container like item could house a sprung loaded trigger sear that would eject a cordite/gunpowder filled glass bottle attatched to a cord that once it gets to the end of it pulls like a party popper igniting the powder and blowing up nearby the enemy.
Fill the bottle with nails/ball bearings for added carnage, or with pepper bags for a non lethal approach

Handicap Jack

Backer
Not quite a bouncing bettie but would have similar visuals as if it where when going bang

Handicap Jack

Backer
LOL, I hope you're not looking on google for this.
Lol if thats to me regarding my suggestions then nope... all from my own mind and quite on purpose leaving several steps out so it cant be replicated IRL.
Ex army, gunsmith, survival magazine columnist so not a stretch to imagine up a few contraptions lol

1 Eyed Gamer

Backer
I honestly cant think of a DIY bouncing betty that gets over the "no millitary loot" restriction, portabillity or feasabillity hurdles
How about having a vehicle airbag for the bounce, triggered by a tripwire, and have several sawn off shotgun barrels just a hair longer than a shotgun shell mounted facing 4 directions with each barrel having a spring under tension with a nail as a firing pin, then have a release pin connect to the ground so when the airbag expands propelling the device up, it pulls the pin thus releasing the firing mechanism and shooting buckshot in 4 directions. And with the spread of buckshot it would in theory be a 360 degree effect. And it could be reusable with replacing the airbag and shotgun shells. (All this is purely speculation and knowing how a shotgun operates and thinking off how to possibly adapt it into a bouncing multidirection trap)

Handicap Jack

Backer
How about having a vehicle airbag for the bounce, triggered by a tripwire, and have several sawn off shotgun barrels just a hair longer than a shotgun shell mounted facing 4 directions with each barrel having a spring under tension with a nail as a firing pin, then have a release pin connect to the ground so when the airbag expands propelling the device up, it pulls the pin thus releasing the firing mechanism and shooting buckshot in 4 directions. And with the spread of buckshot it would in theory be a 360 degree effect. And it could be reusable with replacing the airbag and shotgun shells. (All this is purely speculation and knowing how a shotgun operates and thinking off how to possibly adapt it into a bouncing multidirection trap)
Sounds like a monster of a trap and as this is not real life theres no reason not to back it... but if some realism is applied then the airbag would be a single use, however you have pointed out a good source of explosives (although very hazerdous) from airbag systems.
With regards to a sawn off that small in that set up yes you would see near perfect 360 circle but a very very small area of effect as the shot has not had much of the gasses from the explosion propell them down a full length barrel gaining velocity and thus power. So a kill zone of im guessing about 10ft seems generous.

The only other issue is using that amount of resources for one trap doesnt seem very economic.

1 Eyed Gamer

Backer
Sounds like a monster of a trap and as this is not real life theres no reason not to back it... but if some realism is applied then the airbag would be a single use, however you have pointed out a good source of explosives (although very hazerdous) from airbag systems.
With regards to a sawn off that small in that set up yes you would see near perfect 360 circle but a very very small area of effect as the shot has not had much of the gasses from the explosion propell them down a full length barrel gaining velocity and thus power. So a kill zone of im guessing about 10ft seems generous.

The only other issue is using that amount of resources for one trap doesnt seem very economic.
yeah it would be a small range for the kill zone but the explosive on a bouncing betty isnt much greater. and the thing about my trap idea is that it is reuseable, you would only have to change the airbag and shotgun shells after each use. everything else would be intact. and here is a link to an interesting video of a shotgun that my idea stemmed from. i was picturing just the barrels somehow capped off over the shell with a hole in the cap to strike the primer on the shell, and just remove the handle and trigger and whatnot