• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Homemade Chainmail Clothing Modifications

Thread starter #1

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Homemade Chainmail Clothing Modifications
Okay so I have seen some ideas for homemade armor and loot able armor and I had created a thread months ago that dealt with Shark Suit's and Homemade Chainmail. It had to be deleted because someone had already suggested Shark suits, I had not been able to see the post due to not having my backer status yet which is where it was located. I have searched though for home made chain mail and have not seen anything yet, the only mention of chainmail I have seen is in the Shark Suit thread but just as a description for the suit. So I thought why not recreate the half of my thread that hadn't been discussed. The idea stemmed from one of my favorite games S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the form of a semi hidden piece of armor, that involved a set of tactical swat style clothing with a inner lining of chainmail.

My idea is for a modification that could be built for almost any type of clothing consisting of simple home made chainmail. Simple chainmail itself is actually very easy to make and just about anyone with a little knowledge about metal working self taught or other wise can make it. All you need is a wire cutter and any length or gauge of metal wire and a small pipe, some flux, a small file and a small propane torch would also help to strengthen each ring. Starting off takes a bit of trail and error to find the right length of wire to cut for the best ring size. To create a ring all you need to do is cut a length of wire and use your small pipe to give the wire a curved shape, then you just lightly hammer the metal into the ring shape using the curve of the pipe as a base. After creating a sufficient amount of rings then comes the time intensive part where you have to gently connect each ring into a web, the more ring's you add the more of a mesh it becomes. After each ring is connected a small bit of flux is applied to the broken gap of each ring then heated and gently hammered and afterwards gently filed.

Once you have enough sheets of chainmail the next step is to apply it to clothing, depending on the clothing the item is reversed inside out and the inner lining is opened. Depending on the size of the chainmail sheets and the size of the article of clothing the sheet will be evenly stuffed into the lining and sewn into place concealing the addition. These modifications would allow you to give any article of clothing added protection versus sharp weapons and objects as well as bites. I also think this is something that any person would be able to make during the apocalypse all you need is access to a hardware store and a store with sewing needles and thread. Like the Shark suit it would be a great item versus zombies(and crazy people with machete's) but it wouldn't offer very much added protection versus bullets. The difference is it wouldn't be effective as the suit but would be easier to come by as long as you knew how to craft it or knew someone that did.

The combinations are pretty numerous just about any jacket or shirt could be modified as well as pant's. Gloves could be modified as well as shoes or boots to protect from the crawling undead lol. Balclavas or similar clothing could be modified to protect from slashes and bites to the head. Any flak or tactical vests could also be modified to give protection against close melee attacks and ranged fire. All the modifications would be hidden and would only appear as apart of the name and if they decide to show wear from damage on clothing.

To address concerns about the game being flooded with zombie proof clothing like it was brought up in WasbiKicks91's shark suit thread the homemade modifications would be substantially less powerful then the shark suit typically made from titanium I believe or expertly made chainmail from an actual blacksmith. It would also wear down fairly quickly, if they allowed you to add and remove clothing attachments like weapon modifications you would have to remove the mail and repair/replace it often especially against zombie bits. Also despite what I said about the ease of making it they should probably add it as a crafting recipe you could find.

So what do you guys think, read,, write, review, thoughts, opinions........or the Jawa dies..........no wait....that's a diffrent forum.......still leave your thoughts. :D

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer
on the same note ..... breaking down and / or re-purposing of clothes is something I would like to see. It could open a tonne of character customization options.

We re-purpose a lot of clothes at my house, for instance i took some old long johns that had worn at the knees and elbows, cut the sleeves and legs at the holes, and then sewed them into another pair of cargo pants and long sleeve T, now all the above are fall / winter / spring clothes. The remaining parts were re-purposed into patches or hand rags.

Thread starter #3

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Teah I really like repurposed clothing, it's one of the reasons I liked a lot of the armor/clothing in the Fallout Series. One of my favroites is the roveing trader outfit, it's looks like it was made from sevral jackets and I love all the pockets that covered the outside.

It would also be pretty easy to repurpose clothing with homemade chainmail, you would just need some light sewing skills. All you need to do like stated previousally would be to take out the lining and place the sheet's along the inside of the lineing and sew them into place to keep the sheet's from sliping and to reduce noise from the chain links. Then you simply have to sew the lineing back to the clothing. If the clothing you are modifying doesn't have a liner you would just have to turn it inside out and sew the chain link sheets directly to the clothing.

Here are a few pic's showing off some of the step's I previously talked about to make chainmail.

First you take the wire and twist it around the size of rod or pipe you want, this pic is using a pencil so the rings will be really small to small and thin for protection.

This will be the end result.

Next you cut the ring's one by one until you have a substanial amount of ring's.

Then you can use one or two pliers(depending on your skill level) to bend the ring's together.

Then you just connect the ring's one by one until you have a large mesh sheet that can be combined into multiple shapes for diffrent clothing. To strengthen the chainmail you could do some light welding to each of the ring's in the spots you cut them to weld them into a complete ring.

It's a simple but effective way to modify your clothing to protect aginst zombies, wild animals and crazed players with machete's.

Davz Not Here

Backer
i like the chain mail idea .....

in real life i actually own a full chain shirt (and matching sword, family crest) that was made for me. i've fired a few arrows at from an 80lbs bow ...... some small holes ..... needs silk behind it ...... doesn't stop bullets either ...... easy to fix after shooting it though

so i know how they are made ..... our friend actually took an electric drill to the wind rod so he could wind the wire up faster ..... then he cuts a line with a dremel tool ..... easy as pie ....

Thread starter #5

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
i like the chain mail idea .....

in real life i actually own a full chain shirt (and matching sword, family crest) that was made for me. i've fired a few arrows at from an 80lbs bow ...... some small holes ..... needs silk behind it ...... doesn't stop bullets either ...... easy to fix after shooting it though

so i know how they are made ..... our friend actually took an electric drill to the wind rod so he could wind the wire up faster ..... then he cuts a line with a dremel tool ..... easy as pie ....
Yeah your friend probably has a lot of experiance, using a electric drill to wind the wire and a dremel to cut them sounds pretty smart it would definitley save some construction time.

Yeah arrows are great for piercing I think crossbow bolts can easilly go through a bullet resistent vest, and a bow with the same draw strength should do the same. I have seen a crossbow bolt go right through a metal car door as well. Silk is pretty cool I saw a silk shiled used by samurai in a documentry. It was used to protect from rear shot's while on horse back and they made a modern one and it actually worked perfectly if I remember. That's where the clothing that covers the chainmail comes in handy if you are hit with a bow or a really pointy melee weapon then the outer fabric should slow down the knife or arrow enough for the mail to catch the object.

I also agree it's pretty easy torepair all you have to do is replace the rings that have been damaged so I think they would be viable for a scenario where resources are limited, especially when everything is trying to bite you.

The crest and sword along with the mail sounds pretty cool, I would like to do that but I wouldn't have a armor I could have made I would have to get a kilt. I don't know much about what armor the celt's or scot's used I just know my coat of arm's and my family moto.

Davz Not Here

Backer
for the record ...... the drill was just a 2+2 =4 thing ..... the cutting them with a dremel was the follow up for extra credit .... but just like any other tech. jump (and i was there), it was a bunch of random tools, scattered on the floor and shelves in a cluttered living room / gaming room / tool room at the right time in space ..... and things just clicked .....