• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Horses

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
Small islands should equate to very few though... Perhaps a single riding stable on one of the larger islands with the promise of substantially more options once (if) they incorporate a mainland? Also, to the broader question of animals and zombies, does the infection afflict them as well? Do I now have to fear zombie horses / dogs / squirrels / rabbits / chickens / mosquitoes / etc..? If not, are they chased after by zeds as a food source or left alone?

It would be very interesting indeed if Zeds were only interested in humans, and could serve to explain how other mammals on a small island habitat could survive relentless pursuit by the undead. Otherwise it doesn't stand to reason that horses could survive very long at all, since they're not intelligent enough to 'stealth past' hordes and lack the ability to board up for the night in an abandoned house. The erratic and frenzied movements of threatened animals would constantly draw zombie pursuit.

Boomerix

You shoot it, you eat it.....no exceptions....
Small islands should equate to very few though... Perhaps a single riding stable on one of the larger islands with the promise of substantially more options once (if) they incorporate a mainland? Also, to the broader question of animals and zombies, does the infection afflict them as well? Do I now have to fear zombie horses / dogs / squirrels / rabbits / chickens / mosquitoes / etc..? If not, are they chased after by zeds as a food source or left alone?

It would be very interesting indeed if Zeds were only interested in humans, and could serve to explain how other mammals on a small island habitat could survive relentless pursuit by the undead. Otherwise it doesn't stand to reason that horses could survive very long at all, since they're not intelligent enough to 'stealth past' hordes and lack the ability to board up for the night in an abandoned house. The erratic and frenzied movements of threatened animals would constantly draw zombie pursuit.
Islands with wildlife and farms on them, there should be plenty of horses. Another question would be, how easy would it be to tame a horse, as a horse won't just let any stranger come and sit on it....

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah I would really like to see horses in game, I always love games with rideable horses when they do them right. On finding them I think there could be a couple farms on the main island with horse spawns, by adding some lore to the island group once they add more they could add multiple wild horses as well. There is a island off the cost of Savanaaha Georgia that is known for it's population of wild horses, they are called the Cumberland Island horses.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Island_horse

Here is a pretty extensive site/page on how to deal with wild horses, it seems like if we had dirrent varieties formally tamed(barn horse) and wild horses. Formally tamed horses would be easier to manage at 1st but would have been used to a easier lifestyle, a feral horse would be harder to gain it's trust but in the long run they would be sturdier, and the page makes some points that they are a bit smarter(instinct wise).

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
Wow... just had the image of packing all my earthly survivally possessions into my newly aquiared horse only to have the damned thing shot out from under me by a bandit looking to score easy loot! Such a tactic would be mean, but would be very effective at making people think twice about riding in the open!

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
You would definitly have to be careful, although Bandits would have to be careful as well. Now that they have shot your horse although you have no more transportation they just gave you a shield to fire back from, a dead horse wouldn't be perfect protection but it would do in a pinch. If I had a horse I would try to take it through the forests in stead of on any roads, also what about swiming. Horses are pretty good at swiming and although they wouldn't be very fast they could get you to a diffrent island.

I would like to see customizable saddles as well, there are a lot of attachmets for horse saddles like extra bags and gun holsters. You could find a basic saddle and add to it over time, it would also be cool to get some police gear for horses.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Yeah it would be depressing for a survivor but they might have to if its a matter of life and death then you might have to especially if you had to feed a lot of survivors. It reminds me of Defiance with Danial Craig when he had to shoot his horse so they could eat. I really don't think I would do it even if my charecter were dieing it would be a hard call for me. You could also pull a Rick Grimes and use your horse as a distraction from a large group of zombies.

I would armor the hell out of my horse by raiding the local police department lol
http://uploads.neatorama.com/images/posts/886/59/59886/1365875664-0.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0e8TBOoYZMQ/UH9IY_bJ-6I/AAAAAAAAMec/6qRA87Yt49A/s1600/horse+side.JPG

It would be cool as hell to equip your horse with police armor and rifle holsters and go bandit hunting.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like this idea, and I would also like to ride an ass :oops:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
This is a great suggestion but I could see a very buggy one being made. I think if this were gonna be made, it'd need extra attention.
Indeed... the best horses i've seen in a game so far is red dead.

Brody

And dont forget the horse riding in the Last of Us, what little there is, it certainly feels good and works fine

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
The horse riding in Red Dead was great, so was the horse riding in GUN but def not as good as Red Dead Redemption. I hope that if they do add horse riding that they add the ability to fire from horseback. It would be a good way to defend your horse from any aproaching zombies and it would also help catch food if its something fast like a deer and you don't have a scoped rifle. Like I said earlier it wouldbe cool to have a rifle holster, which as shown in the pic below it can be used for other items so there is an increased chance of finding them(agriculture/defense item).

It wold also be pretty cool to be able to customize your horse besides just equiping it with diffrent saddle bags and holsters, such as painting them. Like using organic material to make paint(clay+coal dust+water=black, berries and flowers for other plants etc.) to paint symbols(like hobo signs) onto your horse similarlly to how the native americans painted their war horses.

Just wanted to add this pic.