• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

How are the zombies gonna be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Will your zombies be based of Romeros golden rules;
All zombies shall be slow and shambling.
Zombies may be capable of remembered behavior.
A Zombie bite shall lead to violent illness and death.
Zombies shall feed on the living.
Whosoever dies shall reanimate.
Destroy the brain, and thou shalt detroy the Zombie.

Or are these not your traditional type and your putting your own twist too it?

Last edited:
Admin #3

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
Will your zombies be based of Romeros golden rules;
All zombies shall be slow and shambling.
Zombies may be capable of remembered behavior.
A Zombie bite shall lead to violent illness and death.
Zombies shall feed on the living.
Whosoever dies shall reanimate.
Destroy the brain, and thou shalt detroy the Zombie.

Or are these not your traditional type and your putting your own twist too it?
As stated in Q &A they will be classic romero zombies, slow and shambling.

Moderator #9

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I just hope that the zombies are relentless... lots of em. If you get bit, it is over... no throw a bandage on and your ok. Or at least a server option for a hardcore mode or something. DayZizzle and H1 zombies are just a nuisance more than anything, kind of a shame to the zombie genre to even call themselves Zombie games.

I think reanimating could be a pain to code, I am not sure of that... but I personally would be ok with just a corpse until server restart myself.

Garmo

Backer
I would like a slow zombie with a 1 bite kill... but anti viotic can fix that and anti biotics arent to rare but not to common so a zombie bit isnt like restart. Maybe if your bit and you dont get medicine in a certain ammount o time only way to live is to cut off the limb??

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
I would like a slow zombie with a 1 bite kill... but anti viotic can fix that and anti biotics arent to rare but not to common so a zombie bit isnt like restart. Maybe if your bit and you dont get medicine in a certain ammount o time only way to live is to cut off the limb??
That would be funny, you just lost one limb and now the other has been bitten off so you get your friend to chop it off, by the time a server restart approaches there will only be an army of stumps and one guy with one arm left trying to cut his last bitten arm off with a pen knife in his mouth :eek:

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
I know that your going for the classic style of zombies (no stupid spitters or tanks ext) but here are a few questions on how your going to handle them.

1. Where will they spawn (everywhere? (like on the streets and in buildings ext) in specific places? no where? (looking at you dayz))

2. How are you going to make them a threat (are they going to come in big hoards, are they going to be hiding for you inside, or are they going to be really powerful and do alot of damage or something like that. are you going to make them a threat, or are they just gonna be like in dayz where there just in the background?

3. How will they spawn, for example are they going to be in large groups that roam, just in large groups all over the place like in dying light / dead rising, or are they gonna be almost non existent like in dayz, or are they gonna be in between like in state of decay / 7 days to die?

4. Whats your biggest inspiration for how the zombies will be. Any movie, game, anything?

Sorry if any of these Q's have been answered in previous posts but i have been on this forum ever since it went up and i am yet to see any of these questions come up (well at least from what i can remember :)

Thread starter #13

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
*sits down eagerly waiting to read the disscusion*
I have discussed about this stuff here and there on here, but there isn't any concrete talk yet probably until they start work on them. I too would like to read what the devs think about what they want to do.

Moderator #14

DemoCar82

Backer
From what I gathered... and don't quote me on this. The zombies are intended to be "Romero" style zombies, slow moving, but in good amounts, possible hordes.

I don't think the devs have anything set in stone as of yet, but we have talked about it and got a few clues.

Zombies will be afraid of light and will scatter to go indoors during the day from what I gather, unless there is some type of major disturbance to draw them out... similar to the concept video that had previously shown the player shooting into the air to draw the zeds out to a "Pig Leg Trap" that was then shot to eliminate them.

I believe zombies will be attracted to noise, so there will be a pretty good trade-off at night as to hide and be quiet in the cold/dark... or run a generator, have heat/light/water, etc but draw in more zombies.

I personally feel slow moving zombies, in large amounts, with the potential of 1 bite infection (maybe 75% of the time or similar) would be awesome, and would be a real threat. This would make people think about a LOT of things, how to set up their "bases"... 1 exit or 2, whether to go on a loot run alone or not into a zombie populated part of the map, whether to try to stay out in the woods or closer to a town, etc. AND, it would be intense... 3 or 4 zombies corner you in a building, knowing that if 1 gets to you, you are very likely to die... that is the type of "piss your pants" feeling I want! :D

Not sure how they will spawn in, as most everything so far is somewhat up in the air, and I'm sure with future stress testing/alpha testing things will be played with until balanced and fully functional how the devs and the community sees fit.

Obviously, I believe the biggest inspiration will be "Romero" zombies, aka zombies like "Night of the Living Dead".

Like I said again, don't hold me to this, as I am just trying to speak kind of for the devs here, as they are SUPER busy trying to finish things up for us, so we can stress test! So, some things here are obviously what I've gathered from former threads talking with the devs, and some is my opinion. Everything is subject to change, and I am not any type of 'official voice' for STN.

Spackler

Backer
1. Where will they spawn (everywhere? (like on the streets and in buildings ext) in specific places? no where? (looking at you dayz))
I like random areas and places then you never know when one might be stalking you(NOT LIKE DAYZ WHERE THEY APPEAR IN YOUR FACE OR ON YOUR BACK OUT OF THE BLUE HITTING YOU!!!). I am sure they have to take into consideration the number of zombies on the server will stress the server equaling an FPS hit. I also hope that you are able to deal with them. UNLIKE DAYZ where it takes a million hits and they are almost impossible to kill.

2. How are you going to make them a threat (are they going to come in big hoards, are they going to be hiding for you inside, or are they going to be really powerful and do alot of damage or something like that. are you going to make them a threat, or are they just gonna be like in dayz where there just in the background?
I like the idea of one, two , and some groups random thorughout buildings and areas so that you never know where they may be waiting, but once you make too much noise or fire a shot the hoard will go after the sound to get whatever has made it. IE you have a melee or some kind of silenced weapon you are good. Make the mistake of firing that shotgun and prepare for the hoard.

3. How will they spawn, for example are they going to be in large groups that roam, just in large groups all over the place like in dying light / dead rising, or are they gonna be almost non existent like in dayz, or are they gonna be in between like in state of decay / 7 days to die?
I like the ideas of groups and stuff roaming the lands, but once again I am sure that the devs most take into consideration the stress they put on the server. That one we will have to see. I do remember a video of a random zombie running out to take a fresh kill when they were out hunting.

4. Whats your biggest inspiration for how the zombies will be. Any movie, game, anything?
Leave that to the devs, I like a mixed bag, slow ones, fast ones,dumb, smart. All zombies are welcome. AS LONG AS YOU CAN DEAL WITH THEM UNLIKE FAILZ. Not easy but not impossible.

Well that is my two cents. I am also interested to see how the zombies play out as they could be a deal breaker for most players if not done correctly.

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
What i would like is something similar to Infestation survivor stories (im talking numbers of zombies here not quality of the game, put your pitchforks down people).
When you come across town, you shouldnt just be able to walk freely and loot, some careful planning should be there, even just looting outskirt houses because u have no weapon.
7d2d is another awesome game when it comes to zombie numbers, even with one hit kill per zombie and slow moving, they still manage to sneak up on you just because of their numbers.

Freeman

Husband, father, survivalist.
Backer
As DemoCar82 and strategos2411 mentioned (or linked) the "Romero" style zombie would likely be a heavily favored style of zombie from the looks of this community. They would really capture the "doom and gloom" atmosphere that Romero's movies brought on, rather than the chaos most modern zombie games tend to have, i.e. "Runners, climbers, spitters and mutant" style zombies.

A game that comes to mind that took on the slow, dumb but many style is Project Zomboid. You would think that "Oh, well if they are slow and dumb, it won't be much of a challenge." Honestly my friends, you would be dead (pun?) wrong. I get my ass handed to me plenty in that game due to the sheer number of them. Slow = quite, and that can be a killer when you're not watching your back.

Moderator #19

DemoCar82

Backer
As DemoCar82 and strategos2411 mentioned (or linked) the "Romero" style zombie would likely be a heavily favored style of zombie from the looks of this community. They would really capture the "doom and gloom" atmosphere that Romero's movies brought on, rather than the chaos most modern zombie games tend to have, i.e. "Runners, climbers, spitters and mutant" style zombies.

A game that comes to mind that took on the slow, dumb but many style is Project Zomboid. You would think that "Oh, well if they are slow and dumb, it won't be much of a challenge." Honestly my friends, you would be dead (pun?) wrong. I get my ass handed to me plenty in that game due to the sheer number of them. Slow = quite, and that can be a killer when you're not watching your back.
Agreed, the PZ zombies are much scarier IMO, than say DayZ zombies... not because they are harder to kill, just from sheer amounts of them and the constant pressure they give the player. Relentless.

Status
Not open for further replies.