• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Hud/UI

Should there be a full HUG/UI, NO HUD/UI or SMALL HUD/UI ?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Sgt.Squggles

Backer
I feel as if with a game like this, that revolves around immersion IMO, the less of a UI there in the game the more realistic that it'll be. Tired of the constant bars in games. The hunger and thirst could be solved with a simple stomach growl and the thirst with a pant or something of that nature. Being hurt can be solved with a grunt kind of like in Arma 3 Overpoch or somewhere along those lines. There shouldn't be any cross hair, it would simply ruin the immersion for me. IMO the less the HUD the better.

Ziaka

Backer
StN needs more full HUGs :D

but seriously, i think the choice should be given to each player to customize their UI in the way that best suits their preference and play style. each to their own.

Thread starter #3

Sgt.Squggles

Backer
StN needs more full HUGs :D

but seriously, i think the choice should be given to each player to customize their UI in the way that best suits their preference and play style. Each to their own.
LOL i would sure love some fuller HUGS! :p
hmm that is true it wouldn't really affect game play as in giving an advantage over other players. Should of added that in the poll as well. Don't know why i didn't think of that -_-. They could just add an option in the options screen to allow you to change it. I like your idea of just giving people the option.

Jeffernaut

Backer
I had an idea a while ago that would remove an ammo bar
the idea is that your person would manually check how many rounds are in the clip or magazine or revolver so to add some more immersion.
but like Ziaka said it would be nice to have each person the capability to fully customize their own hud.

Moderator #5

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I voted no UI/HUD, because I love realism and immersion.

However, I think when you don't have a weapon out, and you are simply looting, there needs to be a small dot on the center of the screen so you can quickly point and grab things.

Thread starter #6

Sgt.Squggles

Backer
I had an idea a while ago that would remove an ammo bar
the idea is that your person would manually check how many rounds are in the clip or magazine or revolver so to add some more immersion.
but like Ziaka said it would be nice to have each person the capability to fully customize their own hud.
That d be pretty neat if they added that function into the game. I would love to have to check my gun to see how many bullets were left in the mag. There is a game that has that incorporated into it although i cant remember the name of it at the moment haha.

Thread starter #7

Sgt.Squggles

Backer

However, I think when you don't have a weapon out, and you are simply looting, there needs to be a small dot on the center of the screen so you can quickly point and grab things.
Yeah kind of like in one of the skyrim mods that gives you the option to allow crosshair when its over an option or something you can activate.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
That d be pretty neat if they added that function into the game. I would love to have to check my gun to see how many bullets were left in the mag. There is a game that has that incorporated into it although i cant remember the name of it at the moment haha.
Like in NMRIH... this is a cool feature that needs to be in my opinion, but you'll always be able to check your journal/intentory I guess but still it should be in. :)

Again... simple and effective at adding that sense of realism.

Thread starter #11

Sgt.Squggles

Backer
Like in NMRIH... this is a cool feature that needs to be in my opinion, but you'll always be able to check your journal/intentory I guess but still it should be in. :)

Again... simple and effective at adding that sense of realism.
Yeah but checking your journal isn't really immersion breaking. The character could just be writing things he has down haha. Makes a lot more sense than having a specific screen. Not sure what you mean by NMRIH :eek:

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Yeah but checking your journal isn't really immersion breaking. The character could just be writing things he has down haha. Makes a lot more sense than having a specific screen. Not sure what you mean by NMRIH :eek:
No More Room in Hell, on that you can check if the gun has ammo by taking the clip/mag out :) but yea I don't mind the journal... maybe further down the line it will be more than just a UI on the screen... something in-game visualy...

Thread starter #13

Sgt.Squggles

Backer
No More Room in Hell, on that you can check if the gun has ammo by taking the clip/mag out :) but yea I don't mind the journal... maybe further down the line it will be more than just a UI on the screen... something in-game visualy...
Oh that's right!! Haha that's the game! !
Yeah hopefully. From the videos that have been released it looks like that's what they have in mind to do.

Davz Not Here

Backer
as usual the ballot options do NOT reflect what i would vote for

there is no option to vote for "adjustable UI"

what i mean is ..... some people will want a very small HUD/UI or none at all ..... other folks are going to want larger icons, and still others will be in between the extremes ..... so i think there should be a slider ..... i know i said this in another thread about this topic (i looked through Strats consolidations but couldn't find it)

and another option (perhaps another topic .... mods) ..... move-able / relocate-able UI hot bars (icons, mini maps, etc) ..... people will eventually want to customize .....

i think a great example of this is the WoW HUD/UI ..... i haven't played WoW since burning crusade came out and have no clue how it is now ..... but even then the HUD/UI was VERY configureable

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
as usual the ballot options do NOT reflect what i would vote for

there is no option to vote for "adjustable UI"

what i mean is ..... some people will want a very small HUD/UI or none at all ..... other folks are going to want larger icons, and still others will be in between the extremes ..... so i think there should be a slider ..... i know i said this in another thread about this topic (i looked through Strats consolidations but couldn't find it)

and another option (perhaps another topic .... mods) ..... move-able / relocate-able UI hot bars (icons, mini maps, etc) ..... people will eventually want to customize .....

i think a great example of this is the WoW HUD/UI ..... i haven't played WoW since burning crusade came out and have no clue how it is now ..... but even then the HUD/UI was VERY configureable
I'll be happy with anything they do personally... but maybe they might come up with something new that changes the idea of having this... like how things that would be in a HUD, will be visaully/audable ques that will tell us ( it's hard for me to articulate what I am thinking using just text).
Not sure if that come out right :confused:

Davz Not Here

Backer
I'll be happy with anything they do personally... but maybe they might come up with something new that changes the idea of having this... like how things that would be in a HUD, will be visaully/audable ques that will tell us ( it's hard for me to articulate what I am thinking using just text).
Not sure if that come out right :confused:

no i think i get it ..... HUD icons appear when a visual or auditory cue (event) is triggered

could prove very interesting ..... now imagine that ..... mixed with the hallucinations (visual and auditory) of a KoS mental breakdown .....

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
no i think i get it ..... HUD icons appear when a visual or auditory cue (event) is triggered

could prove very interesting ..... now imagine that ..... mixed with the hallucinations (visual and auditory) of a KoS mental breakdown .....
Exactly what I meant, and put so simple :D

With that you get best of both...

HyPNOS

A Cad, Cheat and Bounder
Backer
I prefer the contextual HUD, with a minimal HUD/UI to start with. I also prefer the HUD/UI to have opacity settings, so if I decide I want to see the HUD, I can and it's not 100% solid, rather 50-60% so the background shows through nicely.

Moderator #19

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I'd like to know what is happening by certain grunts, groans, coughs, sneezes, heavy breathing, blurriness, etc... or if bitten or wounded to just look down at your wound periodically as you are moving/walking/etc.

That would be a very very immersive HUD/UI in my opinion.

No text, no icons... :D

Davz Not Here

Backer
I'd like to know what is happening by certain grunts, groans, coughs, sneezes, heavy breathing, blurriness, etc... or if bitten or wounded to just look down at your wound periodically as you are moving/walking/etc.

That would be a very very immersive HUD/UI in my opinion.

No text, no icons... :D

ya know .... i really could get into a minimalist HUD/UI ..... i think that would be the most hardcore of the hardcore .... and half the learning curve is figuring out the more subtle tings that are not as obvious as the pus oozing wound on the arm it also heightens the senses (cool side affect) .... i used to play CoD on arcade mode(long time ago, it was fresh then) ..... no HUD, all eyes and ears ..... and luck ....

creepy ass sounds mixed with the swirl of the tide and a gentle breeze at sun set down by the dock ..... all eyes and ears ..... ::shivers at the anticipation::

/sigh
to play devils advocate ..... (it has to be said)

this would have to be an "option" setting for any SP (not really being discussed just yet)
and a server option maybe akin / polar oppostie to the RPG server setting discussed in numerous other threads, the 'hardcore cliche'

other wise those who can't handle it .... they will leave .... maybe come back here and there to try again because they own it ..... but in "game land" there is, MOST CERTAINLY, a breaking point, for challenges becoming a broken PC and a failed game ..... varied as that might be

every gamer knows this ....