• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Ideas for player killing consequences

Thread starter #1

Killekronn

Backer
I have thought of some ideas on how the mechanics of the player killing system might work. Since I've heard about the way players can have consequences for their actions when it comes to killing other players. But how would you differ who is being a bandit, and who is just protecting themselves? Here is what i propose----
  1. When a shot is fired, if the bullet passes a player within a certain distance (2-3m or so) a timer starts for the player that got shot at, allowing them to kill that person without any or little consequences during that time period.
  2. With melee weapons, the player would actually have to be struck in order for the timer to start.
  3. If the person being attacked is in a group, the members of the group also recieve a timer, allowing them to defend their teammate.
  4. If the person attacking is a member of their group, then all OTHER team members recieve a timer against the hostile teammate.
  5. The Same may apply to player owned structures and fortifications.
This works for a number of reasons, both in a pure gameplay prospective and immersion. If someone is shooting at you, your character shouldn't feel guilty about killing that person. Although, your character can also justify to themselves if they were caught in a crossfire with other players and zombies.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Liking both those ideas, but I have a question for @Killekronn ... What if you were using a ranged weapon to try to kill a zombie, missed and the shot then passed by another player in the distance you hadn't been aiming at, or possibly didn't know was there?
Would that matter?

Perhaps we could think about the graphical effect already in the game for when you're dying of thirst, and the screen becomes blurry? Make that worse as mental health deteriorates? Couple that with gun shake when aiming, perhaps?

Thread starter #4

Killekronn

Backer
Liking both those ideas, but I have a question for @Killekronn ... What if you were using a ranged weapon to try to kill a zombie, missed and the shot then passed by another player in the distance you hadn't been aiming at, or possibly didn't know was there?
Would that matter?

Perhaps we could think about the graphical effect already in the game for when you're dying of thirst, and the screen becomes blurry? Make that worse as mental health deteriorates? Couple that with gun shake when aiming, perhaps?
That's why I said your character could justify crossfire. Step into your character's shoes, and imagine that you were shot at by mistake when someone you didn't know was actually just shooting a zombie. Your character may not know that was their intentions and retaliate without feeling any guilt. If you are talking about them being really far away then I believe that should still apply. But for extreme distances, like a town over or something then that is why there would be a timer. Maybe 2-3 minutes. Sorry for the huge explanation. Did that answer your question?