• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Idle animations community input!

Thread starter Staff #1

Jos Heuvelink

Developer
Developer
Would you like to see one of your animation ideas in game? Share your thoughts here, we're looking for idle animation ideas, animations that will play when the player isn't moving. Please share any thoughts you may have!

Focus on these Props:
BaseBallBat
CombatKnife
Flashlight
SledgeHammer
Machete
Hookaroon

Example: TheBateman

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Running your finger along the blade of a knife/Wipe the blade with a rag, Tap the flashlight with your hand (make it flicker), A practice swing or two with the bat... I'd think of more but I guess I gotta let others throw some down *sigh* :p

Oh great idea and thanks for asking for input aswell, no matter how big or small.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Here are some ideas that come to mind immediately.

Baseball Bat:
  • Tossing a rock up, swinging and missing it (because lol).
Combat Knife:
  • Cleaning fingernails with the tip of the knife.
  • Randomly changing grip positions (i.e. from forward hammer/saber grip to reverse edge in/out grips).

Flashlight:
  • Random tapping as if the flashlight won't turn on (also like Num's suggestion above if it's on).
Machete:
  • A lone leaf floats in front of you and you "fruit ninja" that s*** up.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
"
403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.
"
Me too... the animation probably involves an orifice, if I know @DemoCar82 :p

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Hookaroon, Baseball Bat & Flashlight, character starts making lightsabre noises, starts waving item around like a lightsabre :)

Doublebow

Lone Wanderer
Backer
Possibly during winter you should put what ever your holding between your arms / holster it and rub your hands together and then blow on your hands to keep them warm. Maybe even just have it so the guy puts the weapon away until you start doing something, I mean whats the point in just holding your knife out in front of your if there's no danger. Also possibly for the knife have it so that you clean it on your shirt (get off the zombie brains)

Hey! I think it would be cool if your character did more badass idle animations for an item if he uses
it a lot. For example, if you just spawned in the world, and find a knife, your idle animations would be just simple stuff like wiping it with your finger or studying it a little. But, if you use that knife for a while, you might start doing some tricks as idle animations, and maybe even a cooler pull up animation.
Anyway, here are my suggetions for the items.

BaseBallBat: Smack the tip into the other hand, like a threat. And/or maybe grab it with both hands and play with it a little.
CombatKnife: Slow stab movement, Tricks
Flashlight: Play with the button a little without turning it off. If the flashlight has a slider on the front to make a wide or thin beam, play with that a little.
SledgeHammer: Hold it straight in front of you and turn it around, study it a little.
Machete: Slide finger across the edge
Hookaroon: what's this?

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Hookaroon: what's this?
A hookaroon (also referred to as a pickaroon) is a tool generally used when splitting wood. It's essentially used to pick up logs so you don't have to bend down to pick them up.

Some axes, like fire axes, have both the axe blade with a hookaroon on the back side that fire fighters use to pry wedged debris/objects.

Last edited:
A hookaroon (also referred to as a pickaroon) is a tool generally used when splitting wood. It's essentially used to pick up logs so you don't have to bend down to pick them up.

SNIP
Some axes, like fire axes, have both the axe blade with a hookaroon on the back side that fire fighters use to pry wedged debris/objects.

SNIP
Ah I see. Well, I don't know, but thanks for teaching me something new :)

Moderator #14

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I couldn't find a good example, but for a knife/combat knife, would be neat to see the character flip the knife up and catch it (similar to the Bateman animation).

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Hey! I think it would be cool if your character did more badass idle animations for an item if he uses
it a lot.?
This is a great idea, you could also add it to the mentality state... like staring at a knife/machete is something that someone who is scared would do more and pressing the tip with a finger/running a finger along the blade, or the bateman with the bat is something a psychopath is more likely to-do.

I made a short video of what i think the idle animation for the flashlight should be. Ignore the size of the flashlight. :oops:

EDIT: I also made a video of a idle animation for the combat knife (in the video its a kitchen knife but play along). I added a easter egg like idle animation from the movie "Zoro." :D

Last edited:

KrisGalama

Retired Intern
Backer
I made a short video of what i think the idle animation for the flashlight should be. Ignore the size of the flashlight. :oops:

EDIT: I also made a video of a idle animation for the combat knife (in the video its a kitchen knife but play long). I added a easter egg like idle animation from the movie "Zoro." :D
Don't go stabby stabby people with that Kitc-... Combat Knife... Save that "positive" stabbystabby-energy for when the real apocalypse hits, mmkay?

JB_

Developer
Developer

EDIT: I also made a video of a idle animation for the combat knife (in the video its a kitchen knife but play long). I added a easter egg like idle animation from the movie "Zoro." :D
I love the practice stabbing lol gotta use this