• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Improve shower efficiency and filter out nasty chlorine biological byproducts

Thread starter #1

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Recently ive been trying to find a way to filter my shower water so that i can avoid all the terrible stuff hitting my skin almost daily such as chloroform https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disinfection_by-product . Whilst there are a dozen different ways to filter local water supplies by the water works department/company here in NZ Wellington typically local govt has opted for the cheapest method despite many citizens not liking it. Tax payer dollars at work.

So what can be done? I live in a rental installing systems such as whole house reverse osmosis or house wide filtration is not really possible even if i had that kind of cash. The next best thing is specific filtration systems. https://www.bunnings.co.nz/pope-multi-tap_p00035846 that's the basic mechanism i used, the sideways screwthread at the end turns out it screwed perfectly into the shower head hose from the wall. I then had a basic shower head. The next step was filtration but first i got busy playing with some copper wire. The screw on nozzle bit i was able to create a ring of copper wire reasonably thick gauge fitting somewhat well and then loop some very fine wire over the ring creating a built up element in a line. I tried it, water heated up greater than what was coming in very happy. Yet it was leaking water, fitting a rubber oring ontop of the element ring worked great. I also screwed in a short piece of brass pipe, similar to this https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/brass-copper-push-fit-fittings/1992376/ but with a screw thread on the left inside.

This meant the shower head could be lengthened a little so the water flow wasn't against the wall it also served one other thing im experimenting with, magnetic water i attached a ferrite toroid to the brass fitting. You can learn about magnetic water with the attached video below. Finally the brass fitting was pissing water out to solve i attached two rubber rings inbetween the main shower head and brass screw thread lastly winding alot of sellotape around it. Next was to get to work figuring out a way to filter the water now that i had some efficiency. Ive experience in filtering water, as with a previous post on here using coffee filter papers. I knew that cotton balls are a good medium for filtration only how to keep it in the nozzle bit. After a few failed experimentes involving high pressure and shooting cotton balls out like a bullet i managed to keep it in place by creating a copper spring that fits into the bottom inside of the screw on nozzle. Not only did it keep the cotton ball in place it added to the water heating. Thus the cotton ball was wedged inbetween the copper spring and copper ring element above. Very good results for something i did with available supplies around home. The device wasn't complete however, the final step was to actually filter junk out of the water. Activated charcoal.

I may of mentioned in previous posts about the use of activated charcoal in filtering tap water. Its a well known filtration material, it can remove most heavy metals pollutants and chlorine<only at a slow flow rate. To an extent fluoride but thats a topic for another thread. Activated charcoal works well enough when rubbed into cotton balls, but how to get ultra absorbancy? Something i learnt a while back is if you heat activated charcoal up in your oven say 250 degrees thats 482 Fahrenheit about the max temperature for most ovens the activated charcoals absorbancy factor can be increased if left to heat for even 10 minutes at that temperature. I do this regularly with some caution due to the risk of carbon monoxide. Anyone that wants to attempt this leave all your windows open for hours, during and after and use a dust mask with something smeared on it like charcoal to filter out some of the carbon monoxide. Leave your oven door open for hours as well. One final note, i use bottled gas for water heating and its reduced the amount of gas being consumed per shower, this should translate into lower power bills for those with electric hot water tanks.

The end result was greatly improved water heat similar to spa bath quality, reduced carcinogenic byproducts in the water albeit still some chlorine and anyone who knows about the benefits of copper as a mineral in water will know how that could be health beneficial for showering/bathing in. The water pressure is higher too than the old shower head. The Chlorine can be removed entirely using ascorbic acid but at this point its seeming pointless, the Chlorine its self isn't terrible the byproducts are.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Well, we've got wire in STN, is it copper? Probably.
As the game develops, could there be something we could craft that would help purify the in game water supply?
I'm rather sick (especially when in game!) of only finding dirty water.

Thread starter #3

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Copper could be found pretty easily, not terribly difficult crafting material to locate. yes im quite sure a crafted filter system of some sort would be possible in STN like for larger capacity water filtering in your base a more permanent setup and larger water storage. There's also stuff like campden tablets. One funny thing i keep doing is crafting things in real life then trying to suggest them in game lol.