• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

In game currency?

Should the game have a currency system?

• Yes

Votes: 223 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 130 36.8%

• Total voters
Thread starter Admin #1

JB_

Developer
Developer
We're all kind of stuck here. Should the game feature a currency system? Would and could the barter system really work? It would open up so many RPG like possibilities and in my opinion add even more depth and realism.

A player could find, secure, stock and operate a small shop. Fuel stations could be worth their weight in gold. Players could operate ferry service from island to island. What do you think?

This currency would only be in the game world, this will NOT be a pay 2 win situation. Micro-Transactions will never be a part of anything we create.

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
I say yes - but not "money" ~ I understand you want to make zombies lootable and they (ex-people) would have had money on them; but in the case of an "apocalypse" scenario, I think items such as canned food or stuff like that would be worth than a piece of paper. Bottlecaps could work (and maybe if a player is running around with 5,000 bottlecaps there could be a rattling sound that would attract zombies or be a tell-tell sound for other players to "spot" him/her).

If you go with a bartering system, who would decide what is worth how much? The server population? Or maybe you could add shops managed by NPCs s people get a basic idea of what is worth more...

Maybe you opened up a can of worms, but I like this can.. lol

Thread starter Admin #3

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
Bottle caps are a fantastic idea but you know..Fallout and all? We had originally thought perhaps batteries would work?
Yea, I knew there could be some copyright issues with bottlecaps - I said that only because I couldn't think of anything else.. Batteries is a neat idea, no one would have a real need for AA and AAA batteries in an apocalypse. Maybe bullet casings? I'd imagine there would be plenty of those lying around in a zombie apocalypse, too. Also bullet casings would make the rattling sound I was talking about; that way people would be encouraged to spend instead of stockpiling their money, I think.

refuseresist

Backer
Exchange economy based on old-world value and rarity? Neat (and laboursome to find all parts) craft items having value? Things that will lessen your accumulated micromorts?
If for one item being used as money, maybe..coins as bank notes have composed (maybe) long ago?

Whiteland92

Doofus
Backer
there is no real need for a currency. i would rather trade bullets or fuel for food then spend ingame money

-EDIT

you can also add a trade window that shows you the value of your and the partner stuff so you don't get scammed so easily - if your going to add currency

Last edited:

Fredrick Walker

Flicker
Backer
Trading items would be the most, "ideal" thing to do in an survival situation. I would rather trade water for some firewood or fuel in that case.

But again, batteries could be something as well, keeping your farming alive and walkie-talkies up with power in case of other survivors.
And you also got kind of the idea Whiteland92 is in on "Bullets", stealing the idea from metro 2033 and last light though. Bullets are maybe one of the most important things to have in case of a horde.

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
This.. THIS I LIKE A LOT. I smashed the "yes" button :) I would love to see this implemented. Now what to use as currency? Well, maybe some kind of cards? Small "rare" relics? Cards sounds nice, right? Could have some kind of collectible feel to it, you know? It'd be nice :D

timdri1

Backer
I voted yes, but there shouldn't be NPC's you can trade with, because this takes away the need of trading with real players.

Survivor

Backer
I voted yes, but there shouldn't be NPC's you can trade with, because this takes away the need of trading with real players.
Yeah, just do it like garry's mod where players do pretty much everything. Also nice 350z pic you got there :D

madogdan

Backer
I think this would be a great idea, I wouldn't say so much as "Currency" I don't think it would work very well, however trading essential supplies, food, drink, fuel just to name a few would be great, have you got more food than you need and you need some fuel to fill your generator? trade some food for fuel, I also think that the risk factor should stay, you trade and you could be risking not only your food, but everything you have on you, some players may see it being worth more than other, some may see it nothing worth anything, supply and demand is how it should be

Survivor

Backer
I think this would be a great idea, I wouldn't say so much as "Currency" I don't think it would work very well, however trading essential supplies, food, drink, fuel just to name a few would be great, have you got more food than you need and you need some fuel to fill your generator? trade some food for fuel, I also think that the risk factor should stay, you trade and you could be risking not only your food, but everything you have on you, some players may see it being worth more than other, some may see it nothing worth anything, supply and demand is how it should be
I would like both to be honest, both sounds good :) Trading or currency.. I'd be happy either way. I just hope they do implement either one!

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
A good idea. But maybe a currency could be in some/half the public community servers?
Cause some people may not think that having an actual community with stores is something they would like to do.
Id prefer to have my own shop, or be a taxi or anything :D its like civ life (Arma 2-3)

Survivor

Backer
A good idea. But maybe a currency could be in some/half the public community servers?
Cause some people may not think that having an actual community with stores is something they would like to do.
Id prefer to have my own shop, or be a taxi or anything :D its like civ life (Arma 2-3)
$100 Dollars a mile.. Gas ain't cheap these days!

Hellish Warlord

Backer
i agree with the value of paper money to be worthless in an apocalypse, so the use of food / upgrade components / medicine and clothing to be an idea.... unless a static currency is needed.......

Ryan SImard

Ryan SImard
Backer
maybe some servers a static currency (IE Batteries, i think that would be a good currency) could be in use. and in other servers bartering can be used instead. But ya 100$ a mile XD

Paradox001

swag
Backer
I don't think trading with npc's is such a bad idea because you know when you turn around the npc wont shoot you in the back and collect all you loot. I think that having a trading post with npc's somewhere would be a good idea. Or having a safe zone where players cant kill each other but they just trade

madogdan

Backer
I don't think trading with npc's is such a bad idea because you know when you turn around the npc wont shoot you in the back and collect all you loot. I think that having a trading post with npc's somewhere would be a good idea. Or having a safe zone where players cant kill each other but they just trade
I disagree with all of this, it's your own risk if you decide to trade with another player, you don't have to trade if you don't want to