• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

In game currency?

Should the game have a currency system?

• Yes

Votes: 222 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 129 36.8%

• Total voters

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I still think bartering is the way to go. Nothing has value except to the 'buyer'. Swap a tin of tuna and a bottle of water for the gun you've just found? That might be your best survival option.
You might even both decide to team up to "Survive the Nights".

elfnutz

Why not have items in game as currency make a trade house thats a safe zone and leave the items in there and get a message when it has been traded so that way if your low on food water or ammo you have to make a sacrifice on things you want for things you need?

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Now if we could get somewhere on Black Island that was a 'secure' trading location, I'd be in favour of that.
The problem is we'll have multiple servers [Player equipment is only 'consistent' on one server - my recollection on the forum posts], and naturally, they'd need to be a consistent defence against zombie attacks.
But perhaps that would be another goal for us all to work towards to "Survive the Nights"?

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
^ Thats when everyone knows that one building is the trading hub, and whenever someone trades you something, you can give them a weapon in exchange for them helping defend the Trade Hub for one night, stuff like that

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
^ Thats when everyone knows that one building is the trading hub, and whenever someone trades you something, you can give them a weapon in exchange for them helping defend the Trade Hub for one night, stuff like that
I like this idea ... where could we set up the trading hub? How would everyone know where it was?

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Im not sure if radio transmissions would be a thing, if they are then via that, if not then either by spray-painting Advertisements for it on maps or something, or just let those who come across it spread the word. And everyone could kind of rally up to defend it, since they need to be able to keep trading. Then on the off-chance it does get overrun, do the same thing and find a new Trading Post. Addersfield, Union Point and Sage Creek look like Ideal locations.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Im not sure if radio transmissions would be a thing, if they are then via that, if not then either by spray-painting Advertisements for it on maps or something, or just let those who come across it spread the word. And everyone could kind of rally up to defend it, since they need to be able to keep trading. Then on the off-chance it does get overrun, do the same thing and find a new Trading Post. Addersfield, Union Point and Sage Creek look like Ideal locations.
I'm not sure if you've been following the 'player created lore' post over here: https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/player-created-lore.8136/
I'll summarise for you. We know walkie-talkies are in the game. There's a couple of small teams that have managed to get local communications going ... but nothing outside the map area as yet.
So it might be possible to set up your safe trading area, and broadcast the area.
Zombies will always be an issue, especially at night. But Addersfield does sound an ideal location. Perhaps we could set up in the School, or perhaps the police or petrol [gas] station?

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
^ Petrol Station could be a fine one, Everyone needs it, could be a fine resource for trade. And awesome, glad to hear the walkie-talkie communications will be a thing

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
^ Petrol Station could be a fine one, Everyone needs it, could be a fine resource for trade. And awesome, glad to hear the walkie-talkie communications will be a thing
Not sure how @Clinton will get the initial servers spun up, or what the load will be on each. I'm not sure he knows yet :) We'll work through this though. I might just 'flip' myself over to the US servers so we can meet up [LOL], well I did play on Dallas1 and 2 in the stress tests.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
If its that bad for you I can try and play on some of your servers, I usually use US West since Im new Alaska, but I can use quite a few others with decent ping

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
If its that bad for you I can try and play on some of your servers, I usually use US West since Im new Alaska, but I can use quite a few others with decent ping
I've spent far too long in IT... I can manually route my internet [no, I'm not talking about TOR, here, or any other VPN system] so can get an adequate internet connection to most places round the world.
May I ask what the 'symbol' after your player name means?

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I've spent far too long in IT... I can manually route my internet [no, I'm not talking about TOR, here, or any other VPN system] so can get an adequate internet connection to most places round the world.
May I ask what the 'symbol' after your player name means?
Could not resist. :p http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google+translate+ 影

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Yep Lol, its Kanji, an old and rarely used form of Japanese. 火 Fire, 水 Water, 家 Family, 生 Survive. I think they're neat :p
(Also sorry I was gone for most of today, had a cruise)

Slushy

Professional Respawner
Backer
I don't think this should be a playoff on how Fallout or The Division works. Bartering items instead of trading currency. If someone has something someone wants, trade for it with something you have that they want. In a zombie apocalypse the least you should be doing is collecting money or some sort of currency.

Huginn

I think a partly currency system would be necesarry to make it possibel to obtain the commen resources in an AI shop. such as: food, water, commen ammo and simple medic stuff. The curency could be precius metals, that also could be parts that are needed in recipies (gold-> electrical conducter). It could be obtained by killing zombies and get rings, necklas and watches etc. wich in town could be meltet into unit/coins/bars. It has to be in town by an AI. because the other AI/citizen has to be serten that the gold aint "thined" with led or similare. units get a stamp from the melter as an verification of the melter. Maybe purety could be implementet later on. The units of trading could also be bullets.

The trade system is a must, otherwise people dont wonna trade at all. It should be possibel on a screen to see what each other offer and it should be possibel to click accept or reject. If a your in town and kill another player (to get there stuff) you will be instant killed and the AI will confiscate all your equipment (you lose it all). the one who was killed could then go up to the town and get the equipment back free of charge. If law and order is not held in trade town, then theres no trade town at all.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
I think a system where you could find an A.I. merchant that will barter would be cooler than currency imo. Like if every item had a secret currency amount, which is 'worth', and A.I. will only trade you an item that has the same amount of 'worth' as the item(s) you're trading him.
For example: A Rauser Rig(9mm Handgun) has 15 'worth', and a hammer has 5 worth, you can't trade your hammer for a Rauser Rig, but you can trade 3 hammers for it, so on and so forth.

Huginn

I think some sort of curency is needed, in order to make sure that you can get some stuff later on if you only wont some of the things they have to offer. each things "value" should be shown (gamers will just make trail and error until they find the value them self)

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Or crafted items could be nice currency with components being worth less but commodity's as well. Guns and such are instant currency but what about selling completed components for fortifying your base or parts to repair a vehicle. Most games ive seen where there's no specific currency system usually ends up certain items being currency. Like in Diablo 2 where certain gems were common currency.

If the Zombies are quite deadly i think the game will grow to be a game more of trade than people worrying about pvp lootings.
Such things will still happen but they will be opportunist and spur of the moment sort of thing if the zombies are done well, it could be risky just trying to loot another player.

XMorTus

Backer
Currency should be based on need items such as salt as an example. Every one needs salt. As a result it would be a currency of sorts.