• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

In game currency?

Should the game have a currency system?

• Yes

Votes: 222 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 129 36.8%

• Total voters

YuNoGuy123

Part of the gucci gang
Backer
Honestly what im thinking is a trader system based entirely on NPCs/Ai, sort of like 7 Days To Die. If we could have that i could possibly see a currency system being pretty cool.

colours

Survival Aficionado
Backer
This thread is a little on the deep side for me to be reading through all the pages looking for duplicates of what I'm about to say, so forgive me if I'm behind the curve with an old suggestion (Which seems likely). I think if there is any kind of currency system it should be the based entirely on the bartering system. Items should have certain values based on how useful/rare/damaged they are and people should have to trade things they have for things they need/want.

Again, probably suggested ten times or thought of twice, but my two cents.

Who's This Pleb

Future Ophthalmologist
Backer
First of all, I feel like trying to own a shop would bring so much hellfire to your location, it wouldn't even be worth doing. Why pay for it when you can steal it?? I DO like the idea though, perhaps there could be the ability to barter with individuals, or at a bartering location, where each item has it's own fixed value. Each person puts their items in the bartering 'screen' before the transaction is done so you can't just take the stuff and run.

For example, a nice shotgun is worth 20 bartering 'units', (whatever you arbitrarily decide to call them), while a can of food is worth 2 or 3. Like I said, that's an example, it's your guys' job to iron out the details right?:D

But then again, if someone announces they have a rifle and are willing to trade for .45 ammo and some food, what's stopping the next stiff with a firearm from putting a shell in his dome? The mental system perhaps, but I'm not sure how much that will deter unwarranted killing.

A difficult choice, for sure! But it's brainstorming like that that makes this game so attractive in the first place! Good job!

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I still think a barter system based on random players meeting up and working things out between them would best suit the game.

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
i think the bartering system is up to the players. if i need food bad then all my other stuff isnt as importantant to me. if i have plenty of food and not alot of ammo the it is whoever is the best negotiator. if i have beens and you have ammo but need beans then a stack of ammo for a can of beans or vice a versa. or a weapon for beans. lol you could set up shop somewhere see how long it lasts lol. because some one will trade you a bullet to the head for all your stuff.

RaakaKarju

Backer
Game needs currency what have standard value, what that will be it's up to dev's, but if looking on map one place where can find something what can use at currency is prison, they use token to get tools and other stuff in working places, thats why those tokens are allready in there.
Same kind tokens is used on factorys too, and in game map is allready Union point Whith sayed large industrial city so probaply tokens are pretty common thing to find, and have no use for anything else, only if you can smelt it and make ammo.

Currency need to be something other than bottle cap's or any other allready used on other games.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
I believe eventually there will be a few item types that become standard currency. Thinking back to Diablo 2 there was a certain gem that was considered the standard for currency - SoJ https://diablo.gamepedia.com/The_Stone_of_Jordan

Players will create the economy likely unless dev's add specific trading items. Always prefer player driven economy's.

RaakaKarju

Backer
I don't know is it weird idea just use that currency what so many games has old money and still it have value but no value, you can find it every where and why not use it in currency.
Becouse it's island so it can have own currecy not $, can use some old currency in europe before € so not copying any real money what is used in around of world.

So why try invent wheel again just use something old.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Money still has value when it has no face value, it burns. That's instant heat.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Most modern currencies (and I'll ignore in come respect the digital ones) are based on the fiat standard. They are commodity currencies backed by the idea a government will honour them. In STN, there is no local government, and no idea if any national or international governments still exists.
So unless you want to start a fire (as @DZS proposes), there is no value in paper money.
Value comes from worth to any parties involved in the transaction.

RaakaKarju

Backer
Most modern currencies (and I'll ignore in come respect the digital ones) are based on the fiat standard. They are commodity currencies backed by the idea a government will honour them. In STN, there is no local government, and no idea if any national or international governments still exists.
So unless you want to start a fire (as @DZS proposes), there is no value in paper money.
Value comes from worth to any parties involved in the transaction.
Yes thats true, just many times wonder why in is old money and that have deasent value to chance to game currency when it basicly just paper and being more valuable than normal paper.

But i think those tokens what can find factorys or prison, and ofcourse those tokens go around island whith zeds so those can find every where in island, and it's easy make "standard" value of them.

My point is use something what is there and if look map industrial town and prison those places traditionally has used tokens, and if there ever will be mine there too used tokens.

Handicap Jack

Up for a laugh and down for giggle.
Backer
I was half way through typing what @Dr. J wrote word for word earlier but was distracted... needless to say I agree with his views in respect to governance over currencey and standard values...
There wont be any standard value in game, theres no npc vendors to my knowlage at all (that would accept tokens or old moneys or otherwise).
The most common things that I can imagine that will be used with a semi standard understanding of value would be bullets, canned goods and low level medical supplies.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
We don't know (yet) what we'll need to survive in the game, but I have to agree with @Handicap Jack that bullets, food, meds and anything else that helps you Survive The Nights would be valuable tradable commodities. The question is, how much of them can you carry and still stay ahead of the hoard?

Handicap Jack

Backer
Dependant on how the skill system is implemented, I would love to see skills used in trade too. For instance If someone is skilled in medicine they could trade a little of their craft for supplies or a master builder could help out with your fortifications in return of a pistol and a packed lunch.

DZS

Survivor
Backer
Dependant on how the skill system is implemented, I would love to see skills used in trade too. For instance If someone is skilled in medicine they could trade a little of their craft for supplies or a master builder could help out with your fortifications in return of a pistol and a packed lunch.
Sort of like a jobs system for barter? Could be done with a job board network.

Player bob needs someone with better building skill to improve his bases walls. He sticks the job up on a notice board in some public place. Player john stumbles across it being the skilled builder he is, decides he wants the work and ticks a box next to the notice player bob put up. This is all editable txt by the player who's posted the job. Then player bob gets notified through some sort of ingame pm system perhaps even pm's on the forum, and gets in touch with player john. There would need be a secure way to go about it to avoid abuse. Finally once the 'employees' been accepted the job disappears from the notice board. The chance that another player could be tricking that player into a trap is always gonna be there but with it tied down to some sort of system negative penalties can be given if the employer or employee is KO'd. Once the job was complete, delivery of the employee's pay would be given through some sort of trade window perhaps the employee could dispute it say they were given a rotten apple instead lol. As long as things are tied into a system alot more can be done with it.

I'd be interested to hear how far communications in game are being planned on taken. The sort of thing im talking about is much more than VOIP, an ingame message system.

Last edited:

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
Sort of like a jobs system for barter? Could be done with a job board network.

Player bob needs someone with better building skill to improve his bases walls. He sticks the job up on a notice board in some public place. Player john stumbles across it being the skilled builder he is, decides he wants the work and ticks a box next to the notice player bob put up. This is all editable txt by the player who's posted the job. Then player bob gets notified through some sort of ingame pm system perhaps even pm's on the forum, and gets in touch with player john. There would need be a secure way to go about it to avoid abuse. Finally once the 'employees' been accepted the job disappears from the notice board. The chance that another player could be tricking that player into a trap is always gonna be there but with it tied down to some sort of system negative penalties can be given if the employer or employee is KO'd. Once the job was complete, delivery of the employee's pay would be given through some sort of trade window perhaps the employee could dispute it say they were given a rotten apple instead lol. As long as things are tied into a system alot more can be done with it.

I'd be interested to hear how far communications in game are being planned on taken. The sort of thing im talking about is much more than VOIP, an ingame message system.
communication local is around 20 m and radio around 1000 m

DZS

Survivor
Backer
communication local is around 20 m and radio around 1000 m
Nice to know i was meaning more how far systems in game will be expanded on with communications. Still useful. For example the ability to send emails on computer terminals or laptops in game. Im pretty sure its possible there must be a number of different apps around already that could be implemented in the game to add an in-game pm system wouldn't know how much work is involved. Effectively im talking about an extension to communications

Its borderline mmo stuff but i think it'd add much more possiblity's to the game. The question is - how to create a player based job's system if skills are going to be a thing in STN? That in its self would add a great community aspect to the game. It doesn't have to be limited to building, industry heavy work could be mercs for hire all sorts of stuff.

Apologies JB if what im suggesting is starting to look like the game might need a client launcher or login system :p

Last edited:

Handicap Jack

Backer
For example the ability to send emails on computer terminals or laptops in game. Im pretty sure its possible there must be a number of different apps around already that could be implemented in the game to add an in-game pm system wouldn't know how much work is involved. Effectively im talking about an extension to communications
Im not sure about that one. Hardwired telephones are among the simplist modern communications we have and I have worked in and on telephone exchanges and they require a lot of skilled upkeep so any email or network that relied on pre shit hitting the fan tech would likely be a non starter.... bloody hell, one of the best things about a zombie apocalypse is no more snap chat lol!
I think what would work beat for your job board is the radio tower... if its community driven then get the DJ to request a worker, give him a cut for the add. If its not then ot would still be a good known place to swap news and adverts for the community on a big wall.

RaakaKarju

Backer
I think some sort of ingame currency needed, that used defined base value of goods.

Most trading is just trade of grafting materials, ammo or food.
If tokens what i mentioned earlier can use to graft arrow heads or bullet tips, then need some other and allways can use gold and base why gold is simple it has used thru out history mankind.
Gold value is just how much it weights, if map has only 10kg of gold so is 10 bullet casing worth of 10g of gold.
Gold is pretty easy to smelt and if in game is camping cookers or some other heater to use smelt gold and make 10g gold bars, then gold is more usefull for using of currency. Smeltet gold is more valuable than some gold necklase.

I know that after apocalyptic gold is very little use, but gold has been used currency before written history so if you think how far back civilization goes after apocalyptic of zeds probaply not over 10 000 years back, humans has allways has some sort of greed of gold or any other shine objects.

If that how much gold is in 1 server defined so that value is how players defined in that server, some server found the player who want's all gold in backpack. Then that person says what is gold value when he/she make trade.

I know there is no forced reason to use ingame currency, but it's helps when there is something standard to compare value of goods, and end of what worth of any goods defined by players in any server.