• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Independent head movement/Character Mechanic's

Should this be implemented?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

umthala

Jaffa-Shrek Beta Donater
Backer
HEAD MOVEMENT

Dayz has a great head movement system that I think would be a necessity for this game.
Gallery(Taken from frankieonpc Dayz video):
This will be important for immersion and the ability to look behind you with ought having to turn
your whole body.

Over Shoulder:
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 6.56.35 PM.png

Looking At Gun:
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 7.02.39 PM.png

Looking Down At Gun:
Screen Shot 2014-11-24 at 7.02.14 PM.png
____━━____┓━╭━━━━━╮

____━━____┗┓|:::::::::::^━━━^

____━━____━┗|::::::::::|。◕‿‿◕。|

____━━____━━╰O--O--O—O

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I agree and I hope they add this in, when I first started playing arma and DayZ I loved that function so much it added a lot to the immersion. It really makes you feel like you are in the charecters shoes when you can pan your view around while not having to move your charecters body around like frankinstien's monster. It also really helps with survival it helps a lot not having to turn your entire charecter around to glance back, when you have a couple zombies chasing after you there is no time to turn around and being able to look back makes the diffrence in survival.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Man I love the Groza so much the only time I have seen it is in the DayZRP servers I played on, a great mod if you havn't played it. It's just a whitelist only mod and it has a lot of RolePlaying rules.

I really hope they add this I can think of dozens of situations where it would help, such as looking for traps, looting, conversations, getting a panoramic view and like I said before when running to check your surroundings. It's a feature that I used all the time while playing DayZ, it's really fun getting to a really high area and paning your head around to look at all of your surrounding.

FuzioN

Backer
there is issues with this, one of the biggest concerns is ppl will do this 24/7 i think it should have some sort of cooldown to use it if its in.

Reason is try run for a while looking behind your shoulder and inside trees for yourself.

its just not possible, ambushing becomes VERY hard with mechanics like these.

Also another thing that is the worst thing that can effect it, the hitbox sure if they could implement it, it would be great with no hitbox issues and cooldown.
it would be nice to have.

But is it somthing that should be high on priority list? i dont think so but neat suggestion! :)

I am also in for it, but I think it should be a bit more restricted. As seen on the first picture you can basically look 180 degress which isn't really realistic. You would have to snap your neck to do such a thing! xD But anyway, I would like it in the game, but it should be a bit more restricted and realistic.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
Due to my PC I havn't played arma lately but I don't think it is 180 degrees when looking behind you, it just looks like it in the pic. In the pic it looks like the player is looking over their left shoulder not directly behind them. If I remember their is a blind spot when looking around in Arma so you can't see directly behind you. I think that back pack is a pretty large one so it makes sense why the player can see so much of it. That being said I do agree in that I would like to see it slightly more restricted when looking back but only a little because it makes your neck pretty sore to glance all the way back, so I don't think someone would do it so regularly.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@FuzioN A cool down? Not to be rude but do you need to cool down to look over your shoulder over and over again lol. Maybe your character can start to complain about neck pain after a bit and stamina drops down faster but no cool down.

I like having this in game although I would want to restrict it more. maybe subtract 10 degrees from where Dayz is and it would be perfect.

Thread starter #9

umthala

Jaffa-Shrek Beta Donater
Backer
there is issues with this, one of the biggest concerns is ppl will do this 24/7 i think it should have some sort of cooldown to use it if its in.

Reason is try run for a while looking behind your shoulder and inside trees for yourself.

its just not possible, ambushing becomes VERY hard with mechanics like these.

Also another thing that is the worst thing that can effect it, the hitbox sure if they could implement it, it would be great with no hitbox issues and cooldown.
it would be nice to have.

But is it something that should be high on priority list? i dont think so but neat suggestion! :)
Thanks for the reply, but I somewhat disagree with you. This mechanic would be mainly immersive/slightly useful. And I think this would make ambushes more interesting because it could give the people getting ambushed a chance. But I dont think it would be an annoying feature.

Thread starter #10

umthala

Jaffa-Shrek Beta Donater
Backer
@FuzioN A cool down? Not to be rude but do you need to cool down to look over your shoulder over and over again lol. Maybe your character can start to complain about neck pain after a bit and stamina drops down faster but no cool down.

I like having this in game although I would want to restrict it more. maybe subtract 10 degrees from where Dayz is and it would be perfect.
Yea thats a good solution, I like that. Maybe just have it like real life with just something I pulled from wikipedia (lol) Humans have an almost 180-degree forward-facing horizontal field of view

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@umthala Well the issue is unless you have three monitors a true 180 degree field of view is not going to work very well cause the picture would be skinny Vertically and Very wide Horizontally to fit it on one screen. That's why there is third person and the turn your head option. If you cant turn around to see what going on at any time I think that would be a huge failure IMO.

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
This dosent mean that we can, it might have just been how he looked around but in the 2nd pre alpha video when the player parks the RV in the industrial compound he seems to look around while still in the drivers seat. It might mean that they have already considered the idea and implemented it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUbaN961eAIFzBEepQb-CMXQ&v=YaPgsWeGpy4

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
@NothingsTRUE Yeah I really hope that they do consider it if in the video it's just because he was sitting in the seat. It is a needed feature, it really adds to the game and I really appreciated it when seeing the feature in the game. It's a feature that really helps in survival games, being able to get a greater impression of your surrounding enviroment. You can turn your body around to look but it doesn't look very realistic and it's very ovbious to any onlookers.

Thread starter #15

umthala

Jaffa-Shrek Beta Donater
Backer
@umthala Well the issue is unless you have three monitors a true 180 degree field of view is not going to work very well cause the picture would be skinny Vertically and Very wide Horizontally to fit it on one screen. That's why there is third person and the turn your head option. If you cant turn around to see what going on at any time I think that would be a huge failure IMO.
I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!!! What if it was like really slow sensitivity turning back around or if that sounds stupid then howabout oculus rift support and the vr that razer is making and for players withought vr it would be like normal view but just like the dayz where there is just a difference of x (horizontally) and no ability to look up when looking behind yourself.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@umthala HAHAHA No to oculus lol. Would be a cool thing to do but not actually play on. I think the easiest way to make everyone happy is to make the look behind to front and vise versa slow and a smaller radius so you cannot see 360 behind you. like over the shoulder at a 45 degree angle should give you plenty. :)

Davz Not Here

Backer
I am also in for it, but I think it should be a bit more restricted. As seen on the first picture you can basically look 180 degress which isn't really realistic. You would have to snap your neck to do such a thing! xD But anyway, I would like it in the game, but it should be a bit more restricted and realistic.

yes but you can turn 180 degrees from left shoulder to right shoulder and even a little further ..... and when you push your eyes all the way in the direction you are turning ..... you can see behind you .....

i'm not super yoga flexible guy
try it though .....

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
@Davz Not Here This is true but you do not see DIRECTLY behind you there are two different right and left 180 degree views that combine to a 360 degree FOV head movement. If they made it to where you can see left 180 degrees (and no more) as well as right it would be more realistic. I for one cannot see 180 on my left or right without turning my body (but I am a bit broad chested and shouldered lol). You may be able to look almost all the way behind you but the issue is that you can see (in most games) like your head is on backwards and not just HALF of left or right. You see Everything behind you and that is not realistic.

I am at work right now and this is a good test. I have a Telephony architecture display poster board behind me and in the middle are our CORE switches. I can see the switches turning my head all the way left or right but I cannot see beyond them like most games have.

Hope this makes since as I am tired haha.

Davz Not Here

Backer
fair enough ..... i wasn't taking into account the left vs right view of turning my head around ......
point clarified