• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Infection

Thread starter #1

Hasnovsky

Human (yet)
Backer
It could be added the probability of be infected and the need of search supplies to try stop it (like an extremely rare vaccine or common pills that can slow the infection).
Also the possibility of cut off a injured limb hindering seriously the game (impossibility of run or use large guns, more time to reload and crafting, less melee damage, accelerating and braking vehicles with delay, etc) and affecting gravely the mental health.

Kirk

Soon to be Survivor
Backer
Shoot, i'm not helping you chop off an arm.

TheDwemerComrade

Backer
I don't believe there should be a cure you can 'find'. Maybe you could find a really rare plant on the island, a needle and some already existing medicine and combine it to get the cure. Make it very tenacious and use anti-biotics in between to slow the infection.

BOOMstyx

Backer
Yeah I wanted to know more about how this works, if it's been hashed out by the devs. Could be useful in game. Like is it just the bite that infects? Or could a deep enough scratch do it? Can the infection survive in a completely dead (headshot) zombie? Or do they still have to be moving around for them to infect you? If the infection persists even after they're not moving around how could it be used? Shotgun shells filled with bits of zombie teeth for example. Could you use it as a way to at least infect the person if you don't get a kill shot on them? Curious about this one.

Is the infection restricted to humans? Could it carry over to animals too? Imagine you're in the woods, you creep up on a deer. You're right about to shoot when it catches your scent and turns around to reveal a 1/2 eaten face and drool dribbling down as it smells your brain from 50 yards away. :eek:

Not only are you not going to get dinner, but now you're facing a zombie you can't out run! :O

MrNoPainNoGain

Backer
Ok guy Infection ok but still bad ;C Afterall Infection ruins all the game when you have no normal and not rly hard job to find stuff against it because I hate it from project zomboid that you kinda have no chance after you got the infection. I would like it if you make it like 1 way of zomboid that you dont die cause of the infection you die because of the illness that kinda destroys your kcal and water intake so it makes you harder to survive. Now that you are kinda ,,infected´´ the only way to get it off is to stay alive for a amount of time while the illness gets stronger with everything bad you do like walking in the rain or whatever what could result in a worser infection and makes you throw up which takes you even more water and kcal

Thread starter #6

Hasnovsky

Human (yet)
Backer
Shotgun shells filled with bits of zombie teeth for example. Could you use it as a way to at least infect the person if you don't get a kill shot on them? Curious about this one.

Is the infection restricted to humans? Could it carry over to animals too? Imagine you're in the woods, you creep up on a deer. You're right about to shoot when it catches your scent and turns around to reveal a 1/2 eaten face and drool dribbling down as it smells your brain from 50 yards away. :eek:
Your ideas are pure evil, I like it

@MrNoPainNoGain, is a survival realistic game, if it is realistic, it can't be easy. I think that there must be a cure, think about how funny can be searching or trading with other survivors to get the coveted -supposed- plants while you die slowly and you suffer symptoms you describe.
But if this finally is in the game, must be ways to protect like leather jackets and anti cut gloves.
PS: I love Project Zomboid :D

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
If your talking straight up just about a zombie infection or an infection of any other type i say there should be different types. the zombie infection like comrade stated should not be just easily straight up cured cause the amount of time people need to make a cure they just rather make a vaccine (which i wouldnt mind to see in game like a item the lowers your chance of infected) but in all honest all it takes is one zombie to fall in a water supply and we all infected all it takes is a small bit of exposed skin and a drop of infected anything ( blood mucous vomit piss etc etc) to infect you so we gotta have limits or its just going get way to hard and frustration

BOOMstyx

Backer
If your talking straight up just about a zombie infection or an infection of any other type i say there should be different types. the zombie infection like comrade stated should not be just easily straight up cured cause the amount of time people need to make a cure they just rather make a vaccine (which i wouldnt mind to see in game like a item the lowers your chance of infected) but in all honest all it takes is one zombie to fall in a water supply and we all infected all it takes is a small bit of exposed skin and a drop of infected anything ( blood mucous vomit piss etc etc) to infect you so we gotta have limits or its just going get way to hard and frustration
agreed there does need to be limits. and the mechanic has to be clear, but it would have an interesting impact on game play. it would make you think twice about walking into a swarm of zomibes with nothing more than a shovel and a battlecry. One of the biggest mistakes imo of games in this genre are the zombies basically being a joke. I honest believe that's why DayZ and the like are nothing but PVP fests. There is no real threat (other than other people) to make players band together.

MrNoPainNoGain

Backer
:D well guys some of you might be right when there is a cure that could be interesting but getting infected without being able to heal yourself would be just sad when you played 20 hours surviving and having the best stuff and then 1 scratch game over... that was something i hated in zomboid ;c no cure makes that game bad and makes me sad

BOOMstyx

Backer
:D well guys some of you might be right when there is a cure that could be interesting but getting infected without being able to heal yourself would be just sad when you played 20 hours surviving and having the best stuff and then 1 scratch game over... that was something i hated in zomboid ;c no cure makes that game bad and makes me sad
I don't know if it like the idea of a straight up cure though. If there were one, we'd eventually just vaccinate everyone still alive and the zombies would be wiped out over time so long as we survived enough nights.

I could see a certain percentage of the population having a natural resistance to whatever caused the infection in the first place. i.e. them not turning right away when everyone was exposed (airborne/waterborne scenario). It's speculated that about 3% of the world's human population would have a natural immunity to whatever virus wiped most of us out.

Maybe for STN it could be something along the lines of an immunity that keeps the virus from mutating in that one person. It's still there, but some kind of antibody or genetic predisposition keeps it from changing the body the way it needs to for zombification. However, a bite from a person in whom the virus has already mutated (zombie) would introduce that version of the virus and could turn them despite having said natural immunity.

That being said, maybe having the person do whatever the devs deem as keeping the spread of the infection at bay long enough, will allow their bodies to purge the mutated virus before it can multiply and complete the process. Like enough antiviral meds or some more harsh treatments like chemo. Player would be sick, lethargic, etc. while they kept themselves alive long enough to get rid of the mutated virus. This would be an incentive to limit exposure to the undead (pain in the ass finding the meds and staying alive long enough to not turn), while not being a straight up death sentence for someone who has become infected.

They wouldn't be cured exactly. They would just have gotten rid of the active strain of the virus that could have turned them. The dormant version of the virus would still be present, and would kick in once the person died without sustaining some kind of severe trauma to the head either before or just after death. Thereby ensuring a 'healthy' zombie population for our continued entertainment, while giving someone the chance to stay alive despite a nasty bite. :)

Applejaxc

Backer
1: Cutting off limbs? No. Most players (myself included) would rather suicide for a new character than play with only 1 arm.
2: Ultra rare vaccines? It better be an ultra rare disease, otherwise it's unrealistic you wouldn't be able to knock off the local pharmacy to find what you need. The more common the disease (and likelier for you to get), the more common the treatment. IE, if you have an annoying cough and a sore throat, do you really think it'd be hard to find Nyquil? Even given the post-apocalypse setting, I doubt I wouldn't be able to find a bottle 10 years after the event within a mile of my house. If I had ebola, however, I'd obviously have a much harder time not dying.
3: Surgery, et cetera, I don't think is really super exciting for gameplay. Maybe digging bullets out would be interesting (and needing another player to dig bullets out of your back/wherever you can't reach) and a penalty if you bandage over a wound that still has a round in it, is fine. Anything past that isn't fun.