• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Inventory Volume System.

Thread starter #1
I searched this time and didn't fin anyhing about it, there may be something out there though.

The only other games I know about that actually implements a volume and weight system is the roguelike Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead (Day z not having a weight system as far as I know).
With a volume system you'll have to keep in mind how much junk you can fit in your pockets and backpacks and how much you have to leave in your car or at the base, you'll have to pack more wisely and not think about wich supplies are most important since you can't actually put 20 cans of baked beans in your fanny pack.
This means you'll have to not just put on the right backpack but also the right clothes, the ones with big pockets.

TheClassiness

Definitely something to be implemented, since I play a lot of CDDA. It always seems strange how in these survival games people can fit 16 cans of bean and an engine in their pocket, even without anywhere to store it. Each clothing type would have a certain amount of pockets, increasing your volume.

Containers should also have volume levels. That way you might need to make/find more furniture for organization, since your stores are full.

Bhikshu

Backer
I like this ideal. Considering most backpacking backpacks are rated by volume it shouldn't be that hard. If you wanted to go super realistic you could make player play "tetris" with the items they want to carry, and packing the pack the right way could improve carry weight and mobility.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I was going to start a new thread, but found this one and figured I'd add to it.

It would be really nice to see a variety of items, such as pants, shirts/jackets/vests, backpacks, belt pouches, etc. with varying capacities.

Stanislav Novak

Backer
I was going to start a new thread, but found this one and figured I'd add to it.

It would be really nice to see a variety of items, such as pants, shirts/jackets/vests, backpacks, belt pouches, etc. with varying capacities.
Do you mean the carrying capacity adding up to a single inventory or having to switch between them all to find what you want? I would rather have it a single page, trying to find something with multiple containers can get annoying.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I agree, having to sift through multiple containers is a pain. I think having the varied items at up to a total inventory space, with the inventory showing on a single page like how it is for the current stress test, would be fine.

Although H1Z1's inventory wasn't terrible. While it does have your inventory split between each worn container, you could view it all together and just had to scroll. I wouldn't be opposed to this either, having your inventory shown on a single page but it's split up into the various worn container groups. This adds to the realism IMO.

Stanislav Novak

Backer
H1Z1 is what i had in mind too, the problem is when you have a ton of small items in one place but i suppose that could be a problem either way. Basically just a better way to filter items is what i was trying to get at.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
OOH! I just had another thought. I think it would be really cool if you could hand-carry containers. Things like a suitcase, another backpack, duffel bag, etc. These containers would be hand carried, meaning unless you have something equipped that is a one-handed item (like a pistol or flashlight), once you pick up the hand-carry container you would un-equip your two-handed item. You then couldn't re-equip your two-handed items until you dropped the hand-carry container.

Strategy comes into play here. More container space means more weight, which should affect movement speed & sound generation. Also if all you have to defend yourself is an axe or rifle you'll have to drop the hand-carry container to defend yourself. Dropping said hand-carry container should be simple and fast, such as a keystroke, or even as simple as equipping a two-handed item automatically drops the hand-carry container.

H1Z1 is what i had in mind too, the problem is when you have a ton of small items in one place but i suppose that could be a problem either way. Basically just a better way to filter items is what i was trying to get at.
While I haven't really tested it, there appears to be a nice way to filter items already in the stress test (I can't remember the categories off hand, something like guns, tools, something else, clothing, misc.).

Stanislav Novak

Backer
Hand carried containers would be great, you could even use them as bait or set traps around it. I haven't got a chance to have a look at all of that yet, i'm hoping i can get on tomorrow for a proper go but that sounds like what i want.

Moderator #10

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I actually had thought about something similar to this last night. Mostly with larger things, like the generators and barricades, maybe even moving larger things like shopping carts and trash bins... all "two-handed". This was you'd really need to think about what you do, before you do it.

Also, I like the idea of having a volume with containers. Imagine if we could physically place loot into containers, it would be some work... a container could only hold as much stuff that you could actually cram into it. Similar to the trailer w/ all the different materials on it, and the wheelbarrow w/ wood in it in the concept videos.

Stanislav Novak

Backer
I actually had thought about something similar to this last night. Mostly with larger things, like the generators and barricades, maybe even moving larger things like shopping carts and trash bins... all "two-handed". This was you'd really need to think about what you do, before you do it.

Also, I like the idea of having a volume with containers. Imagine if we could physically place loot into containers, it would be some work... a container could only hold as much stuff that you could actually cram into it. Similar to the trailer w/ all the different materials on it, and the wheelbarrow w/ wood in it in the concept videos.
You could make some interesting traps with this, a trolley (shopping cart) full of rocks sitting at the top of the stairs would make me think twice about trying to go up there.

Davz Not Here

Backer
it's a great idea and i am for it

there are a few other threads that deal with inventory and weight .....