• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Knight armor

Thread starter #1

The Black Rainbow

Backer
Hello,

Today, i would like to suggest an idea : Knight armor

What do i mean by knight armor?
So, i think that this armor, will have a hiyer chance to be found in : Museums, Castles.
I think that this armor should provide an almost 100% protection from : bites, punches, scratches.
But, the armor will be very loud and noisy, plus, you will not have much mobility in it.

I think that this armor may help you survive a bullet if it doesent hit you directly.

Please post below you'r opinions, ideas about this.
I would love to read them ;)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like the idea and before people say when would you use this... think zombie cage fighting.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Would not stop a bullet, unless maaaaaaybe it hits the very edge and glances off. Even then it's not stopping it but rather deflecting it, and if you weren't wearing the armor the bullet would have missed anyways (hence why it's not used in war anymore).

It would definitely be super loud and really hinder your mobility. It would really only be effective vs zombies and melee weapons and probably arrows, though some arrows are designed to pierce plate armor (if the Devs go that in-depth with arrows).

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Also remember, we would not need to wear all the armour (that's personal choice and crazy) I bet the gauntlets could smash a zeds face in (they'd be what I would use them for)... maybe only wear the breastplate or the arm/leg guards...

Davz Not Here

Backer
this could easily get shuffled into the 'DIY smithing' topic ..... there are 1000's of videos on this on youtube and it has been brought up from time to time. The devs (so far) seem somewhat adamant against the idea of smithing, but may change their stance down the road .....

kpmh2001

Standard Bearer for Failure
Backer
I can see there are not many natural smiths in a modern civilian county/island that probably takes place on america but maybe not. i agree, smithing should not be in the game.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Probably the closest thing you're going to get to a smith on the island (pre-zombie happenings) is an auto body shop. There might have been the rare 'old world' smith. I would say chances are rare, but on and island 'disconnected' from the rest of the world I could see it.

I had a friend in college that was taking auto-body repair courses and he made his own plate armor which was pretty cool (he did LARP and all that stuff). Not smelting anything, just taking sheet metal and shaping it with the auto-body equipment. I imagine you could do this post-apocalypse with un-powered tools, like hammers and the roller thing Jessie James often used in American Chopper. And fire, you'd probably want fire.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I can see there are not many natural smiths in a modern civilian county/island that probably takes place on america but maybe not. i agree, smithing should not be in the game.

actually we have tonnes of folks here who pursue ye olde smithy style skills ..... i'd say 90% of the 1000's of you tubes are from folks in the US ..... we have 2 smiths in my county ..... they charge a little more but the hinges last longer (and they are more aesthetically pleasing) .... along with other assorted house hold items, they also make armor (mostly for SCA and Ren Fair stuff) weapons, (the usual middle ages D&D fun)

i think smithing should be in ..... no mining but recycled, reforged metal ..... yeah

Davz Not Here

Backer
on another point, regarding middle ages armor

have you ever tried to wear (and move) in this stuff .....
i have
this stuff is heavy, and awkward. the zombies might not be able to bite you, but if they knock you over and pile on, your as good as dead anyway. no way you could stand up with the weight of the armor and several zeds on you

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
on another point, regarding middle ages armor

have you ever tried to wear (and move) in this stuff .....
i have
this stuff is heavy, and awkward. the zombies might not be able to bite you, but if they knock you over and pile on, your as good as dead anyway. no way you could stand up with the weight of the armor and several zeds on you
That really depends on how the armor articulates and is pieced together when worn. Granted you're not getting up quickly but you should still be able to functionally stand back up.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
That really depends on how the armor articulates and is pieced together when worn. Granted you're not getting up quickly but you should still be able to functionally stand back up.
You're more likely to crawl away than stand back up depending on their numbers. Looking at it realistically you'd have the entire weight of a human on top of you plus your own. The global average weight is 62kg(130lbs). That's 124kg(260lbs) you'll be dealing with if it's only a lone zed. If you're on your back it'll be easier to push it off, but if you're laying on your chest that's another matter. If you have three zeds then it's 248kg(520lbs) of flesh. While not all directly on your back, the distributed weight I say is enough to immobilize the average citizen. With armor limiting your flexibility it gets only more difficult.

As for the idea, I'm not a fan. I don't want to see a knight running around with a Kalashnikov killing zombies/survivors like a bad Science Fiction novel. I also don't believe the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages even if it was realistic in concept.

Advantages

Protection:
- Arrows
- Bites
- Fists
- Scratches
- Small arms (1/2 - 1in(12-25mm) thickness)*

Disadvantages
Weight 15–25 kg(33-55lbs)*:
- Higher Calorie Consumption
- Less Carrying Capacity
- Reduced Mobility
- Fatigue Easier
Reduced Field of View
Higher Visibility
No Rifle Protection
Increased bodily temperature
- Higher Water Consumption

A*[Quality steel required. Sheet metal wouldn't work. Construction steel maybe.]
D*[Depends on plate armor set. Jousting armor could weight up to 50 kg(100lbs)]

actually we have tonnes of folks here who pursue ye olde smithy style skills ..... i'd say 90% of the 1000's of you tubes are from folks in the US ..... we have 2 smiths in my county ..... they charge a little more but the hinges last longer (and they are more aesthetically pleasing) .... along with other assorted house hold items, they also make armor (mostly for SCA and Ren Fair stuff) weapons, (the usual middle ages D&D fun)

i think smithing should be in ..... no mining but recycled, reforged metal ..... yeah
How many in your county buy armor and weapons from them?

I'd wager a large portion of their sales of such objects comes from SCA and events of the niche. As such they produce other items in order to stay afloat. While fine for living in the states, a heavily populated and connected country, it's likely not the same case for a small island community. Unless there's an active interest on the island the major buyers of their product would be overseas which is likely to be far and few considering shipping costs. It would be much easier for those outside the island to seek armor and weapons elsewhere. That is unless the quality was top notch, in which case why would the producers remain on the island? They could easily expand and gain a larger profit by moving where their talents are rewarded.

This begs the question why they're on the island to begin with and ties into another point and consideration I had about the Museum idea. Why would 16-17th century plate armor be on display there? Was the island discovered during that time? Was a knight born and raised there? Museums are not simply buildings built to house old relics for people to ogle at. Well, I would hope not >_>. They usually deal with a town or countries history. So unless some of the events above occurred or a rich entrepreneur randomly decided to build a Museum, cause he could, and threw in his collection of odds and ends, I don't see knight armor even being on the island.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
You're more likely to crawl away than stand back up depending on their numbers. Looking at it realistically you'd have the entire weight of a human on top of you plus your own. The global average weight is 62kg(130lbs). That's 124kg(260lbs) you'll be dealing with if it's only a lone zed. If you're on your back it'll be easier to push it off, but if you're laying on your chest that's another matter. If you have three zeds then it's 248kg(520lbs) of flesh. While not all directly on your back, the distributed weight I say is enough to immobilize the average citizen. With armor limiting your flexibility it gets only more difficult.

As for the idea, I'm not a fan. I don't want to see a knight running around with a Kalashnikov killing zombies/survivors like a bad Science Fiction novel. I also don't believe the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages even if it was realistic in concept.

Advantages

Protection:
- Arrows
- Bites
- Fists
- Scratches
- Small arms (1/2 - 1in(12-25mm) thickness)*

Disadvantages
Weight 15–25 kg(33-55lbs)*:
- Higher Calorie Consumption
- Less Carrying Capacity
- Reduced Mobility
- Fatigue Easier
Reduced Field of View
Higher Visibility
No Rifle Protection
Increased bodily temperature
- Higher Water Consumption

A*[Quality steel required. Sheet metal wouldn't work. Construction steel maybe.]
D*[Depends on plate armor set. Jousting armor could weight up to 50 kg(100lbs)]
I wasn't talking about standing up if you had a zombie laying on top of you. And I didn't mean sheet metal as in auto-body sheet metal, something more like 16ga sheet metal. I think my buddy in college used 14ga for all of his pieces, but he still used auto-body techniques to shape it which is where I was getting at.

Overall I'm not a fan of wearing full out knight armor, but I can definitely see makeshift metal armor of some sort vaguely resembling knight armor being made and used. Basic arm guards, shin/thigh guards, stuff like that that would offer good protection vs zombies if you get in close and some protection vs melee weapons but not really being restrictive (other than the weight of the pieces themselves).

Davz Not Here

Backer
@Bchhog - very well put and concise. good questions (some were actually answered in the post you responded to)

i also am not a big fan of knight style armor in this game .....

as far as smithing goes ..... it has it's place .....
also, some people are just hobbyists gone serious .... back in the 90's 'chain mail' had a reboot of popularity ..... several friends of mine were into it, even fashioning hand cranks from rebar and wood so they could faster wind the 12g wire they made the chain links with. as time went on most of them got bored or move on to other things ..... 2 of them still make chain mail ..... full suits of armor, legs, arms, helm (over oiled leather) ..... they just like doing it, and when they finish a set (or w/e) they sell it on ebay or to a friend, some times given as a gift .....

so maybe they were hobbyists ..... maybe they were a metal fabricator, working in an auto shop ..... maybe they became a hobbyist, built a DIY forge (stone box over a pit basically), ordered (or made) an anvil and tools and used recycled, reforged old auto parts to make iron (and steel which is simply adding carbon to iron), from which they went about first making things for themselves; i knoife, hinges, door knobs, etc .... to making things like armor and swords .....

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I wasn't talking about standing up if you had a zombie laying on top of you. And I didn't mean sheet metal as in auto-body sheet metal, something more like 16ga sheet metal. I think my buddy in college used 14ga for all of his pieces, but he still used auto-body techniques to shape it which is where I was getting at.

Overall I'm not a fan of wearing full out knight armor, but I can definitely see makeshift metal armor of some sort vaguely resembling knight armor being made and used. Basic arm guards, shin/thigh guards, stuff like that that would offer good protection vs zombies if you get in close and some protection vs melee weapons but not really being restrictive (other than the weight of the pieces themselves).
Ahh, your choice in quotes suggested otherwise. While sheet metal could work for making it I doubt it could stop small arms unless exceptionally thick. I don't even think 16ga could block a 9mm unless it's quality stuff.

Well, I'm not against that entirely as it has some applications. At least if the improv armor is something like the guy on the left.

Though, that's a whole other idea for another thread. OP is strictly wanting knight armor.

@Bchhog - very well put and concise. good questions (some were actually answered in the post you responded to)

i also am not a big fan of knight style armor in this game .....

as far as smithing goes ..... it has it's place .....
also, some people are just hobbyists gone serious .... back in the 90's 'chain mail' had a reboot of popularity ..... several friends of mine were into it, even fashioning hand cranks from rebar and wood so they could faster wind the 12g wire they made the chain links with. as time went on most of them got bored or move on to other things ..... 2 of them still make chain mail ..... full suits of armor, legs, arms, helm (over oiled leather) ..... they just like doing it, and when they finish a set (or w/e) they sell it on ebay or to a friend, some times given as a gift .....

so maybe they were hobbyists ..... maybe they were a metal fabricator, working in an auto shop ..... maybe they became a hobbyist, built a DIY forge (stone box over a pit basically), ordered (or made) an anvil and tools and used recycled, reforged old auto parts to make iron (and steel which is simply adding carbon to iron), from which they went about first making things for themselves; i knoife, hinges, door knobs, etc .... to making things like armor and swords .....
Which ones?

If they were pure hobbyists then that changes a few things. Instead of a Museum, knight armor would be found in their workshops. Likely in pieces with unfinished works scattered about. Though, for the majority I think they would be barren as why wouldn't the smiths take the armor with them? If they did then we could possibly see zombies with knight armor roaming around >_>.

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
While sheet metal could work for making it I doubt it could stop small arms unless exceptionally thick.
Would not stop a bullet, unless maaaaaaybe it hits the very edge and glances off. Even then it's not stopping it but rather deflecting it, and if you weren't wearing the armor the bullet would have missed anyways (hence why it's not used in war anymore).
;)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Ahh, your choice in quotes suggested otherwise. While sheet metal could work for making it I doubt it could stop small arms unless exceptionally thick. I don't even think 16ga could block a 9mm unless it's quality stuff.

Well, I'm not against that entirely as it has some applications. At least if the improv armor is something like the guy on the left.

Though, that's a whole other idea for another thread. OP is strictly wanting knight armor.

Which ones?

If they were pure hobbyists then that changes a few things. Instead of a Museum, knight armor would be found in their workshops. Likely in pieces with unfinished works scattered about. Though, for the majority I think they would be barren as why wouldn't the smiths take the armor with them? If they did then we could possibly see zombies with knight armor roaming around >_>.
Would depend on when the island was discovered/established... could have been found by Spaniards, people might automaticly thing of "old" medieval armour when there was still armour being worn in the upto the 1600's... just my reasoning on why some might be in a museum, to-do with their history.

Attachments

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Missed your point for mentioning 16ga =S. That or I failed to explain that the quality and type of steel is only important for stopping small arms.
Things get lost in text. :(