• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Knockouts

Thread starter #1

pedro2001

Backer
I think that if you want to reduce player killing, you should add some sort of knocking-people-unconsius mechanic. Which would go well with the weapon/utility I suggested: http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/s-w-a-t-flashlight.1548/
And would be useful if you don't want to kill anyone. And if you were forced to drop all your weapons. Most of my suggestions are around this topic. Player killing really ruins alot of zombie survival games for me. And I hope this game will be different.

Christian Lund

Backer
I totally agree. I would love to see some of the options from DayZ as well, like putting handcuffs on people, putting a bag over their head, or knocking someone out cold.
If the game disencourage people to kill other, there has to be some alternatives. Non lethal alternatives that be

DarkWolf

Class A Survivor
Backer
You should be able to knock people out for a minute or two from behind so you have a chance to steal their stuff and/or escape from them. This could cost you sanity/mental health, but not as much as killing them. This would open up a new aspect to the PvP in this game, where you could be a stealthy thief. This would also be fun if someone were sniping your group and someone snuck up behind the sniper and knocked him out. Your group would have time to escape and the sniper would have learnt a lesson.

Last edited:
Moderator #4

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
I agree, we need to have a non-lethal type of PvP, this allows for us non KoS players to still be able to protect our selves. Or if you're a thief like @DarkWolf has put, you will have the ability to rob people but without actually going mental and killing yourself!

Tally Ho!

Moderator #6

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
I want to say that for strangling both players have to do a constant pressing action if attacker wins he knocks out the person and if the defender wins he could push the person away
Like the counter-knife function in Battlefield 4? But instead of a button press you have to keep hitting <Which ever Key>? Not sure how that would work in a MP Game...

Tally Ho!

Zacalog

I want to say that for strangling both players have to do a constant pressing action if attacker wins he knocks out the person and if the defender wins he could push the person away
I actually really really like this idea, I really hope thy implement this into the game, so looking forward to it either way!

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
Ohhh boy. I really like this idea.

You could use a bike lock, bare hands, wire, even a stick to clasp around their neck.

So many uses!:

-Human meat shield if you are engaging another enemy
-Hostage taking
-Non-lethal takedowns
-Lethal takedowns

Regards, Blender

MidevilKnight32

Backer
You should be able to knock people out for a minute or two from behind so you have a chance to steal their stuff and/or escape from them. This could cost you sanity/mental health, but not as much as killing them. This would open up a new aspect to the PvP in this game, where you could be a stealthy thief. This would also be fun if someone were sniping your group and someone snuck up behind the sniper and knocked him out. Your group would have time to escape and the sniper would have learnt a lesson.
I love the idea!

Boomerix

You shoot it, you eat it.....no exceptions....
Knock out with a blunt object or weapon, chloroform, tranquilizers, stun gun, electro shoker and many other possibilities should be there and also the possibility to cuff someone (like DayZ standalone) should definitely be in there. In other games you just lack enough options so you are more or less forced to kill someone if they are hostile, even if you'd rather not. This also wouldn't affect your mental health as stunning or knocking someone out is usually okay with your
conscience, while murder is not that easy to forgive yourself. Also I'd like to add at this point that blunt weapons in general shouldn't cause bleeding effects, rather a chance to knock someone out and break a bone, but I'll put that in another suggestion.

Takaii

Backer
Ohhh boy. I really like this idea.

You could use a bike lock, bare hands, wire, even a stick to clasp around their neck.

So many uses!:

-Human meat shield if you are engaging another enemy
-Hostage taking
-Non-lethal takedowns
-Lethal takedowns

Regards, Blender
Lmao, i like the human meat shield.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Knock out with a blunt object or weapon, chloroform, tranquilizers, stun gun, electro shoker and many other possibilities should be there and also the possibility to cuff someone (like DayZ standalone) should definitely be in there. In other games you just lack enough options so you are more or less forced to kill someone if they are hostile, even if you'd rather not. This also wouldn't affect your mental health as stunning or knocking someone out is usually okay with your
conscience, while murder is not that easy to forgive yourself. Also I'd like to add at this point that blunt weapons in general shouldn't cause bleeding effects, rather a chance to knock someone out and break a bone, but I'll put that in another suggestion.
While I'm browsing the forum I would just like to clarify here, Chloroform takes an extended amount of time(5 minutes) to induce unconsciousness. The movie representations of instant knock out is highly unrealistic. Also there is the possibility your target could experience fatal cardiac dysrhythmia(irregular heartbeat). Not to mention the difficulty of finding the stuff concentrated.

Last edited:

peterpiper007

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Backer
No matter what you do, lethal and nonlethal pvp should hit mentality (though obviously more so for lethal). That said, how about a random chance of killing your target whether you meant to or not? As Bchhog points out, there's always a chance of unintentionally killing someone - and none of our characters are military trained as per the world-setting of the game. Accidents happen... This creates a bit more realism and might encourage people to try to trade with others instead the risks of stealing.

LittleMoe

Backer
Like the counter-knife function in Battlefield 4? But instead of a button press you have to keep hitting <Which ever Key>? Not sure how that would work in a MP Game...

Tally Ho!
But could someone just use a program to press (Insert key) over and over faster then what a human can hit it? (Not sure how that program works, I just know it exists)

Also should the health bar (Well fed vs starved, sanity vs insane ect) play a factor? If you are a very malnourished individual you should not be able to hold up for long against a well fed and fit man. I know that this is flawed in that there are many more factors than that. Maybe gear to help with strangling someone like simple rope where you arm is not subjected to his arms. Or a simple knife where the person being strangled can try to pull out to stab the person or cut the rope? With that system it would still be the old skill system where you get better by doing and learning yourself.

(Please pick this apart as I know this is has many flaws)

Zacalog

This isn't something that someone can simply master. You don't hit someone with the intention of knocking them out, you hit them with the intentions of hitting them, simple enough. I was thinking that the chances of one getting knocked out has a direct correlation with one's health status, how well fed they are, their stamina, and maybe even going deeper. Of course it'd be a whole lot easier knocking someone out with a weapon, right? I'll come up with a situation... You've been surviving for roughly two days, and unfortunately it seems the only thing you haven't come across is a firearm. That sucks for you, doesn't it. You've been walking through a neighborhood, checking any houses that look like they haven't been ravaged to hell yet, which seems to be a scarce sight. You look to your right in hopes of seeing some sort of refuge from the approaching night, and maybe a chance for some food... Damn; Door's open, likely a Zed or two inside. You continue on the path for around five more minutes before you find something thay could be infact in your favor! Door's closed, seems to be quiet, so you head on in, why not. Door opens without a hitch, though as you take a step inside, the first thing you hear is a footstep. Seems like a pretty roomy house, you decide to go with a long range weapon... At least the best one you've come across; A baseball bat. Not ideal for the circumstances, but it's your best shot. The noise echoes again from what sounds like the upstairs, you slowly go on up the stairs, praying that whatever your opponent is doesn't hear you. After what seems like an eternity of quiet, nervous, anxiety, you make it to the second floor, nothing to see, so it seems. Though being the experienced survivor you are, you don't let your gaurd down. You head closer to the nearest door, less quietly than before, your confidence building up, you take a few more steps towards it, kneeling down, you peek through the key hole... There he is. A man stands about a four feet away from the other side of the door, he's looking away from you, likely gazing outside the window, you can still catch him by suprise! You slowly open the door, continuing to grip your bat with the same haste as you had minutes ago, entering the house. You grip it with both hands, swinging as hard as you can, aiming directly for the back of his head. He turns around, just in time for the tip of your weapon to strike him across the face. He goes down, you quickly kneel down, checking his pulse... It's faint, he'll likely be waking up in the next two hours, so you decide to make it quick.

Last edited:

Zacalog

I am aware that you can clearly kill someone with one bat swing to the head, though if it doesn't kill them... I'm gonna' be sleeping just fine.