• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

KOS Mental stability

Thread starter #1

Enkious

Backer
A Friend and I were talking about this subject..
We had a Suggestion we thought might be good to implement in the game.
Killing on site.. (KOS) Is all over the place. And although it may be fun for some, it is not for others..
So we thought these might be good ideas.. Let us know what you think as a community for you are all the people that will mold the game in the future.

Killing on site should disrupt your mental state.. Not right away of course.. Maybe a cool down.. so your not killing everyone all the time..
One person.. 1 hr.. or so. 2 people within 1 hr = 4hrs maybe higher.. and so on and so forth.

And in doing so.. would increase certain chances of failures on crafting things.. or a slower time..
Higher Mental Un-stability could make you run slower, Make more noise, Maybe even hear noises of other players that are not really there... Do to the fact that you are going insane..
Also the fact that you don't care about killing.. So you might not care about being Noticed..
These are just some of the things we though of.

Tell me what you think~

Kobi

Backer
I like it. Various debuffs the more you kill will eventually get you killed or force you to try and wait out the timers. Only other thought I have is if you are the defender and the folks coming at you are simply doing it to keep pushing your debuff state as high as they'll go to grief you. I suppose that's where traps come in handy.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I had this thought the other day and fits here fine, too lazy to look for a mentality thread there's tons of good'ens... :p

Shooting someone while they have their back to you should give you a mental hit higher than most of the other actions, there's no honour in shooting someone in the back if their running away/unaware (if it's a KoS then even more so)...

A KoS where you are both visible to each other on the other hand should still give the killer a hit but not too much, my thought was sometimes it is also on the player to be aware of their surroundings and if you've been killed by someone you could see then it's fair-game really, either one of you could have killed the other... but if you have your back turned and or are unaware then the killing was unreasonable ofc.

But as for the timer that's a cool idea +1 because people intentionally killing compared to the itchy trigger finger will be appropriately "penalized".

Although non of what we think or do will stop people from killing-on-sight (which you wouldn't wan't also) it would at-least weed out those doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:

MANE_GAME

Irrelevant YouTuber
Backer
We need KOS type players in games or else it wouldn't be fun. I hate to say it, but the last thing I want to do is grow crops of corn with 50 other human players on a server and only shoot AI with the guns we have. No matter the type of player we try to be, games get boring with time. When you've done all, seen, and experienced everything a videogame has to offer it usually resorts in this type of behaviour. Just some choose to play like this right out the gate.

this is from kickstarter page
  • Killing other players will eventually result in a mental breakdown
  • Blurred vision, shaking hands, voices and visions only the player can see and hear
  • Further abuse will result in unavoidable suicide
hopefully that will reduce kill on sight player
if zombie is scary in this game that'd help too

FuzioN

Backer
they will have a mental system that makes it possible If you want to pvp, but you cannot go guns blazing shooting everything you see, and if you want to kill somone you want to be sure he have things you want or need.

over time insanity goes away. its not like if you kill one guy now you cannot do anything.
its more like if you run around killing 10 players over the course of lets say 30 min you will start shake and hear voices eventually.

This will make so fresh spawns will have a better time, more interaction and talking instead of straight out pvp.

Also if you shoot, mark my words if you do it during the night its very high chance you are more dead than the guy you didnt drop with your 3 shoots and missed 2 and just hit him once in the chest.

the feral zombies during the night is NOT like any other game they will be brutal.

YOu want to take zeds out during the day with melee and silent at all costs.

There is however melee weapons and crossbows to use :p

So dont worry there will be possiblity of pvp just the usual rust mentality of pvp wont exist, and its done to make the game have interactions with players and talking to eachother.

pvp will happen and ppl will kill eachother it will be more of you gotta think before you shoot somone and try to kill him.

FallenEmber

Backer
There should be a scaled distribution of psyche points:

I. - Injury to others
II. - Killing in self-defense
III. - Killing on purpose

There should be other factors behind this system regarding NPC interaction (if implemented):

I. - Friendly trader NPCs will penalize bandits by selling for more and buying for less
II. - Bandit NPCs will reward bandits by selling for less and buying for more

FuzioN

Backer
There should be a scaled distribution of psyche points:

I. - Injury to others
II. - Killing in self-defense
III. - Killing on purpose

There should be other factors behind this system regarding NPC interaction (if implemented):

I. - Friendly trader NPCs will penalize bandits by selling for more and buying for less
II. - Bandit NPCs will reward bandits by selling for less and buying for more
friendly NPC prolly wont be in the game if they will be in the game not in a while.

The system is not just about injuring others its about how well you eat, sleep using meds to get rid of it and such.
In start system wont be very sophisticated, this will over time be overlooked and perfected into a good system to avoid griefing among other things dont worry.

but dont think you wont be killed by other players just becuse of this system its meant to prevent kiilling a players as soon as you see him, and talk to him or approach him or evaluate the situation.

and see if he has things or is it good spot to kill him?

Or b is he kind interact get a team8, just notice if you planning on being an ass, keep in mind most on the server will know who you are and expect having large issues :)

Taylor

i had a thought not a developer or anything but would it be possible to record like thirty seconds around the time you kill a player and once you go crazy you get random flash backs were you see those recorded kills like guilty conscious at a low opacity overlaying your first person view i think that would be near realistic not sure how much that would affect game play though

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
Even if I kill myself, I'm gonna kill EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. I'm just a Killer what can I say except you're welcome :D

McQuizzle

Backer
Probably having a massive mental hit to players who KOS isn't very fair. Like Mane said, They do make the game fun, they make it intense. There;s no point of having the multiplayer element if you're limited to trading a bit of corn for player interaction. I feel like if you get killed you just need to suck it up and not whine like a child who just got their toys taken off them. Survival games are about surviving, and if you can't survive then ya suck. :)

!!APB!! ZXET

Backer
how is it not fair to have a mental hit for players that kos? if you do that in real life thats gonna weigh on you so bad its not even funny. Yes this is a survival game but players that kos should have a negative mental hit

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
But happens when you spawn somewhere far away from your house hmmmm?? They could be anywhere bro! :eek:
I don't care that's part of SURVIVING I'll make it back on my own, Rick always finds his way.

McQuizzle

Backer
how is it not fair to have a mental hit for players that kos? if you do that in real life thats gonna weigh on you so bad its not even funny. Yes this is a survival game but players that kos should have a negative mental hit
Note that i said "massive". I agree there should be minor mental hits to KOS, but hugely punishing anyone who KOS's will just ruin that part of survival because it wouldn't be viable for anyone to do it, taking 50% of the danger out of the game. Some people are just evil and wouldn't have a mental hit from killing people. Either way KOS shouldn't have such big penalties that it makes it unviable to do so.

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
We need KOS type players in games or else it wouldn't be fun. I hate to say it, but the last thing I want to do is grow crops of corn with 50 other human players on a server and only shoot AI with the guns we have. No matter the type of player we try to be, games get boring with time. When you've done all, seen, and experienced everything a videogame has to offer it usually resorts in this type of behaviour. Just some choose to play like this right out the gate.
But that is why they didn't remove it?
You can kill people all you want. It's not a removed option in the game. You can kill zombies just as much as humans, The only difference is that if you KEEP killing people over and over you will have a mental breakdown. That doesn't have to mean stop killing people. Maybe you can kill a few people and run back to your "base of operations" and hide all your loot. Kill some more and then kill yourself, who knows maybe go back to your "base" and then get your stuff from earlier and go back out into the world to kill again. Like I said they are not stopping the killing or even KoS. Just making it so not EVERYONE has to deal with it all the time.
Not everyone likes to be shot from behind or when they aren't paying attention. Some people want to explore and find new places to fortify and make their own. Some people like killing zombies and from what it sounds like in this game Walkers will be a big thing and probably more of a danger than the people. (in some cases)
I'm looking forward to not dying every minute because some guy likes to hide in a closet (pun intended) and killing whoever goes into that house. :)

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
...Maybe you can kill a few people and run back to your "base of operations" and hide all your loot. Kill some more and then kill yourself, who knows maybe go back to your "base" and then get your stuff from earlier and go back out into the world to kill again...
This is true, but when you think about it that's kind of an exploit. Being able to kill kill kill, commit suicide, then go out and kill kill kill again with no penalty (until you commit suicide again, rinse/repeat). Something will need to be done about that at some point, whether it's losing all of your items (including stashed ones), losing skills, starting with lower mental health, whatever, otherwise that's all some people will do is KoS KoS KoS, which isn't what this game is about. This isn't CoD or Battlefield or Squad or ARK, it's a ZOMBIE survival game so steps need to be taken to make zombies the greater threat and deter the senseless KoS mentality. Of course there should be enough server options so if that's what some people want to do then they can F off and get their own server so they can do that.

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
This is true, but when you think about it that's kind of an exploit. Being able to kill kill kill, commit suicide, then go out and kill kill kill again with no penalty (until you commit suicide again, rinse/repeat). Something will need to be done about that at some point, whether it's losing all of your items (including stashed ones), losing skills, starting with lower mental health, whatever, otherwise that's all some people will do is KoS KoS KoS, which isn't what this game is about. This isn't CoD or Battlefield or Squad or ARK, it's a ZOMBIE survival game so steps need to be taken to make zombies the greater threat and deter the senseless KoS mentality. Of course there should be enough server options so if that's what some people want to do then they can F off and get their own server so they can do that.
Yeah and LIKE I SAID
""But that is why they didn't remove it?
You can kill people all you want. It's not a removed option in the game. You can kill zombies just as much as humans, The only difference is that if you KEEP killing people over and over you will have a mental breakdown."", I don't want that either. I want to survive via Zombies and kill WALKERS. That's my goal in this game as well I'm not trying to give people ideas but if that is what they want to do then I'm saying they can do that. Doesn't mean that it will be good for their character in game. Just saying it can be possible. But I know that there will be consequences...:D