• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Lesser mental health hit on self-defense

Thread starter #1

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
First of all, I must say I love the idea of the mental health hit when bandits kill other players... but what if bandits come to raid my house and I end up killing ten of them? Or I'm out foraging for stuff and I get attacked and defend myself? Will I go insane and kill myself afterwards? (This likely will not happen to me because I'm really bad when it comes to shooting real players instead of AI in games, though.) But it doesn't seem fair to me, as it could become a strategy for the bigger bandit groups - send x players to go get killed by their target, wait for target to suicide and loot him/her..

So I guess my suggestion is this: have a lesser mental health hit - or none at all - in cases of self-defense. That way people will be free to defend themselves when they get attacked.

MrPhysicalSky

Just Clouding Away
Backer
I'm thinking that, if the raider has low mental health, then it wouldn't affect you as much as if it was a person with high mental health you killed

MrPhysicalSky

Just Clouding Away
Backer
But then again, how would you be able to spot a LMH (Low Mental Health) from a HMH (High Mental Health) ?
but i'm thinking, people with LMH could have a twitching animation or something?

Just another American Psycho waiting to happen.. :p

SwagadorDali

MR BONES SAYS THE RIDE NEVER ENDS
Backer
While I understand where you're coming from OP, I think you need to look at the system in a different light. Yes it's going to suck if it's your life vs your mental health dropping because you murdered someone - but think about it: If someone breaks into your house, you defend yourself and kill that person in real life, you aren't going to be okay mentally. Any normal person is not going to be the same after killing another human being. It doesn't matter if that person planned on going on a brutal killing spree, and you're clearly doing the right thing; you are still going to experience serious negative affects because of that.

We're all still going to be real mad when our characters blow their own brains out because we had to defend ourselves, but I think it's worth it for the sake of the realism the game is aiming for.

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
What if they make it so that if the person who shoots and hits a player first gets the mental bar penalty instead of the one defending him/herself? Because, usually the person who shoots and hits first is the bandit and has no good intentions.

SadPanda284

Backer
i agree that there needs to be SOME kind of impact to mental health regardless of if "han fired first" ;) but i also agree that self-defense should be a lower hit on your mental state. i mean, in real life if someone breaks in & you kill them, you can somewhat justify your actions in your own mind as "it was self-defense", but your mentally still going to have a hard time coping with the murder regardless, especially if you've never killed before. maybe whoever fires first determines if the instance was self-defense or just an act of murder?

Vaelek

Backer
What if they make it so that if the person who shoots and hits a player first gets the mental bar penalty instead of the one defending him/herself? Because, usually the person who shoots and hits first is the bandit and has no good intentions.
On the surface that sounds good, but would require you to actually be hit before able to defend yourself. Or what if someone attacks your camp where you have multiple survivors. They shoot at one of you, and someone else comes to your aid.

Survivor

Backer
On the surface that sounds good, but would require you to actually be hit before able to defend yourself. Or what if someone attacks your camp where you have multiple survivors. They shoot at one of you, and someone else comes to your aid.
Very true didn't think of that! (obviously lol)

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
I suggested this on the steam forums before. How about you have it where the first to shoot receives a greater mental health penalty than the one retaliating. For example Player X shoots Player Y. The system would record this and if a confrontation takes place with Player Y being the victor than they receive a lighter penalty. Though have it where only Player Y receives this privilege and not just anyone who randomly shoots Player X afterward. Another benefit of this would be shooting on sight. If someone you shoot gets away they could come back later for revenge. Or if you don't think that would work well you could have it where the system no longer keeps record of the data on the first shot after a certain time limit.

Survivor

Backer
I suggested this on the steam forums before. How about you have it where the first to shoot receives a greater mental health penalty than the one retaliating. For example Player X shoots Player Y. The system would record this and if a confrontation takes place with Player Y being the victor than they receive a lighter penalty. Though have it where only Player Y receives this privilege and not just anyone who randomly shoots Player X afterward. Another benefit of this would be shooting on sight. If someone you shoot gets away they could come back later for revenge. Or if you don't think that would work well you could have it where the system no longer keeps record of the data on the first shot after a certain time limit.
That looks almost exactly what I wrote lol

SadPanda284

Backer
as someone pointed out to me though, it would require getting shot first.....if its a headshot, all the "if, thens" in the world can't save you

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
That looks almost exactly what I wrote lol
"Almost" is the key word here. I'm not suggesting someone avoiding the mental health system. Just suggesting those who defend themselves receive a lighter penalty in light of not starting the conflict.

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
as someone pointed out to me though, it would require getting shot first.....if its a headshot, all the "if, thens" in the world can't save you
Well if you're killed with the first shot then you have nothing to worry about when it comes to the mental health system. =P

Survivor

Backer
"Almost" is the key word here. I'm not suggesting someone avoiding the mental health system. Just suggesting those who defend themselves receive a lighter penalty in light of not starting the conflict.
Yeah, that's what I meant. You wrote it better than I did. :p

Fraesser

Fraesser
Backer
Just an idea, but if you are in a building that you have claimed for yourself there could be an area boundry around the house that is like a poperty boundry that you can defend your house from attack. It could then be deemed a self-defense upon someone entering your property. I like the self-defense aspect you guys were talking about that if you kill defensively you will still be affected mentally but not as bad but not as bad as the intruder if he does manage to kill you.