• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Level Design Feedback

Thread starter #1

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
Not a gameplay, okay sort of since. Level design does play a role in gameplay.
disclaimer:
I am very aware that this is pre alpha and loot isn't in it.

I am going to give suggestion on how to improve the layout of the land.

First off, I love the look. I just feel some improvements can be used to make the island feel a bit more realistic and alive. I am tackling the roads.

1. School.

First off, I love the design of the building. Different classes in each room, and a recess area in back.
What can be added? A storage room. Every school has a room where they store supplies. Not just the classroom.

Also the lunch tables outside is a great touch, though it begs the level design question. Where is the cafeteria. And why would during winter and rain they would let students eat outside? It doesn't make sense.

Also where is the administration in this, and auditorium?

How to fix this: Add two more buildings. One by the back which is an cafeteria connected area where lunch ladies would work it can act as a auditorium as well. Add a building in front that acts as the main office. containing staff lounge, officer storage, front desk, counselor office. Vice and principal office. Nurse room. Optional room: Security guard office. They are in the middle of nowhere in the woods in a valley far from village. Which leads me to the next issue.

The pathway cuts off midway to the road. The trees lining up is brilliant however, level design wise there are many flaws.

Is it by foot, or car. If by car, why is the road big enough to fit comfortably one car? Also, where would the parking lot be. If by foot, how would anyone expect kids to walk that distance. Not to mention in rain or now. lot of danger.

Last edited:
Thread starter #2

cladriah

Survivor
Backer
2. Roads and time traveled.

Walking in the testing area. It takes me from sunrise to sunset, even into the night at times. To reach another building.

I can count only two times finding area with scavenging possibilities. I will leave the loot issue alone. Moving on. The lack of shelter concerns me immensely. I was nervous trying to find a place to take refuge in. The problem is that lack of on the road pit stops.

So far, I only find gas stations in town. This poses a level design issue. How long does it take to travel by vehicle (I know we don't have cars yet, so any estimation on gas usage per mile is unrealistic.) But, I feel that the roads would realistically have after a certain point a pit stop.

Gas station and/or diner

Solutions: Add more cabins, gas stations, and diners.
Also, I find it weird that old town wouldn't at least have a diner. Given how close it is to a port. Which can attract tourists. Which restaurants can also highlight the culture of the town. with how they lived.

Ozymandias

Backer
I agree in general with the amount of empty space inbetween towns. Where you find a gas station there should be at least a few houses clumped around it, maybe an industrial storage building, something that gives people the impression that someone actually lives there!

Beyond that, there is too much time spent when joining a server or respawning just simply walking aimlessly. Even if you use the coordinates to find where you are, the likelyhood of you actually making it to the closest town which would have enough loot to sustain a player is very minimal. Not even including the fact that most towns could be looted by a single player in a single day, meaning that realistically there would just simply be not enough for you to do once you finally got to that town.

ld-airgrafix

Survivor
Backer
I want to add, pls work some more on your hills, they look like they were done using Unitys terrain tools, which just arent good enough anymore.
And like fellas above me suggested, empty spaces are the biggest issue for me currently. Perhaps if i had certain tools to occupy myself, like an axe and/or saw, to craft basic things while making my way towards a town.