• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Light bulb Trap

Thread starter #1

Facerafter

Backer
I was rewatching the latest James Bond movie (Skyfall) yesterday and I saw something that would be perfect for STN.

I am talking about the scene in the old house in scotland when they are getting ready someone creates a trap with a light bulb.

You take out a light bulb and you break the glass, cover the exposed wire with a shotgun shell and than enclose it with a bag of metal scrap/nails.

Now imagine that you barricaded a house, got a generator hooked up and you are growing some plants. But now you are starting to run out of food, so you decide to go hunting. You turn your lights off, place the trap, grab your rifle and lock your door. While you are away someone managed to get inside but since it's night he can't see shit, he turns the lights on but than get's seriously hurt or killed by the nails flying around from your trap.

DarkFox

HoboGamer
Backer
That's actually not even a half bad idea, something that is simple to construct and easy to setup, I love it :D

[iAce]DrSeth

Backer
Why did you go out hunting in the first place? Just turn off your lights, arm the traps hide in your basement and wait for the meat to come to your house switching on the lights and *bam* got your prey hunted down.
Well this kind of gameplay would definitely corrupt your mind and make your character go down the drain as it would if you killed other players directly.
I hope cannibalism is not the most viable way of getting meat in a Zombie infested world.

/joking aside
It is a neat idea, been watching Skyfall lately too, was on regular TV a short while back.

nolruch71

An idea I saw watching Home Front. In the movie, the protagonist fills light bulbs with gasoline and screws them back in. When the Antagonist enters the room and turns on the lights, he is met by a burst of fiery flames.

CarinaNebula

Ganja Farmer
Backer
I was rewatching the latest James Bond movie (Skyfall) yesterday and I saw something that would be perfect for STN.

I am talking about the scene in the old house in scotland when they are getting ready someone creates a trap with a light bulb.

You take out a light bulb and you break the glass, cover the exposed wire with a shotgun shell and than enclose it with a bag of metal scrap/nails.

Now imagine that you barricaded a house, got a generator hooked up and you are growing some plants. But now you are starting to run out of food, so you decide to go hunting. You turn your lights off, place the trap, grab your rifle and lock your door. While you are away someone managed to get inside but since it's night he can't see shit, he turns the lights on but than get's seriously hurt or killed by the nails flying around from your trap.
This trap sounds dope as fuck!

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I think this trap would be worthless inside a fortified home for one simple reason, it would only really be effective during night. Don't get me wrong I like the idea, but unless you completely black-out your windows you really wouldn't need lights on during the day. Especially if fuel for the generators is scarce. I imagine any kind of raiding would occur during the day because during the night the zombies will be in greater numbers, making any outdoor activities (such as traveling to a given fortified building and breaking an entering) significantly more difficult. Also I imagine an intruder wouldn't want to turn on the lights because that puts him at a disadvantage if the homeowner returns (personally I'd probably stick to using a flashlight so I could more easily conceal myself by turning it off if necessary).

With that being said I DO think this type of trap, when modified to use some other means of setting off the shotgun shell (mouse trap with a nail on it & omit the light bulb, 12v car battery, etc) that would be set off by a tripwire or maybe even a pressure plate of some sort would be more effective both indoors and outdoors. Just my thoughts, take from it what you want. :)

RickGrimesdd

Survivor
Backer
I think this trap would be worthless inside a fortified home for one simple reason, it would only really be effective during night. Don't get me wrong I like the idea, but unless you completely black-out your windows you really wouldn't need lights on during the day. Especially if fuel for the generators is scarce. I imagine any kind of raiding would occur during the day because during the night the zombies will be in greater numbers, making any outdoor activities (such as traveling to a given fortified building and breaking an entering) significantly more difficult. Also I imagine an intruder wouldn't want to turn on the lights because that puts him at a disadvantage if the homeowner returns (personally I'd probably stick to using a flashlight so I could more easily conceal myself by turning it off if necessary).

With that being said I DO think this type of trap, when modified to use some other means of setting off the shotgun shell (mouse trap with a nail on it & omit the light bulb, 12v car battery, etc) that would be set off by a tripwire or maybe even a pressure plate of some sort would be more effective both indoors and outdoors. Just my thoughts, take from it what you want. :)
lol but you dont have to use it but people like me loves to craft as much as killing so you could use it as a distraction to kill the intruder

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Yeah changing up the original idea a bit just makes more sense to me because you can then place the trap where it's more likely to do damage, especially since light switches aren't always close to the actual lights they turn on. Plus I seriously doubt zombies would bother with turning on lights. :p With STN being more focused towards zombies with less emphasis on PvP (or at least KoS behavior) it just makes sense to move away from PvP only items and try to make things work both for PvP and PvE.

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
something else that would be very interesting and similar would be having a light switch and if the player turns it on an explosive connected to it goes off, but have the bomb connected near them and not just random. If the bomb is near the door they are going through or more subjected to the place they will be when they turn the light on. Could be useful for new building structures that haven't been fortified yet or just for killing people when they enter your heavily guarded base. Either way seems like a good idea.
Also you could, have some sort of Car bomb that if they try to start your car they explode. Maybe have it to where whoever set the car bomb up can start it but if another random player tries to steal it they turn into jello?
both seem reasonable and possible easy to integrate into the trap system. just some suggestions.