• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Locking System

Do You Like These Idea's ?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Extracactus

Backer
I have been thinking about how people will be able to get through lock's and what it will take, and I would like to see what all you guys/girls think of my idea's. If I am going over something someone else has said please message me. Anyway let's get started. :D

Padlocks
Padlocks should be able to be picked in a similar way to pick locking in Fallout 3. To do this you would need a screw driver and a hair pin. If you fail to unlock the lock after about 2-4 hair pins break then the hair pin becomes stuck and the lock can no longer be picked. The next step would be to get a sledge hammer or bolt cutters and break the lock off. Of course if you wanted to you could skip pick locking.

But people making locks unusable with only 2-4 attempts would cause trolling and you would need a way to open the door again if you where the owner. If you are the owner or the person with the key when you go to insert the key it should get stuck and then you pull on it and the end of the hair pin comes out with the key.

I was also thinking that you could find padlocks with the key. that way if you come across a box or something that has a lock on it you could just break that lock off and put you're lock on. And you could also just find boxes without any locks on them.

Vehicles
Vehicle doors should also only be able to be picked 2-4 times before the hair pin breaks and they can no longer be picked. the next step would be to break the window but could set an alarm off, and like before you could just skip step one. Once you get inside the vehicle you would need to pick the ignition to start the car. And same as before about 2-4 breaks of the hear pin and you would have to hot wire the vehicle, Of course you could once again skip picking the ignition and go strait to hot wiring. I would not know how you could implement hot wiring but I would like to see a similar system to Fallout 3, as in I don't just want a kit and then hey presto, the car is open.

For any of you that would like to maybe think of how hot wiring would work in game here is a video. I think it would have to be not too easy but not too complicated. maybe like a panel where you connect different wires.

If you would like to could you please vote and reply on what you think about my idea's and if you think that these idea's should be noticed please like.

!Thanks For Reading!

Last edited:

JippyUK

Backer
Breaking into other players vehicles and bases is a tricky one. Whilst I like that idea that it SHOULD be achievable, I dont think it should be that easy, finding bolt cutters and breaking off a lock would mean that your house essentially is far too easy to troll when you are not online.

One of the biggest issues I think current survival games have. I like the idea of breaking into a padlock etc using a hairpin and after a few attempts the pin gets stuck. Maybe this could be doable on non player owned content.
On player owned content on the other hand it would be quite interesting to login, unlock your padlock and a message to appear saying something like "opening the lock you notice pieces of metal fragments stuck inside" indicating that somebody has been trying to break into your stuff whilst you've been away.

Making stuff invulnerable against other players is also a bit lame. These things are tough to work out the fine lines of.

Takaii

Backer
i like the idea's, it gives true pvp to the game. but yeah it shouldn't be easy like picklock an door and u got the house and with hotwiring they should add like if u mess it up the alarm goes off and it attracts the zombies and players.

Moderator #4

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
i like the idea's, it gives true pvp to the game. but yeah it shouldn't be easy like picklock an door and u got the house and with hotwiring they should add like if u mess it up the alarm goes off and it attracts the zombies and players.
Depends, would you leave your generator on while offline!? to alert zombies when someone breaks into the house you have taken over!? ;)

I think this is an amazing idea. People should be able to pick locks or maybe even smash doors open but then you are risking making too much noise and attracting some nice friends to give you a cuddle.

Like @JippyUK said
"opening the lock you notice pieces of metal fragments stuck inside"
is even better, knowing that when you're online that someone may come back and try again but you can set-up traps to stop them!

Genius!

Tally Ho!

Thread starter #5

Extracactus

Backer
Breaking into other players vehicles and bases is a tricky one. Whilst I like that idea that it SHOULD be achievable, I dont think it should be that easy, finding bolt cutters and breaking off a lock would mean that your house essentially is far too easy to troll when you are not online.

One of the biggest issues I think current survival games have. I like the idea of breaking into a padlock etc using a hairpin and after a few attempts the pin gets stuck. Maybe this could be doable on non player owned content.
On player owned content on the other hand it would be quite interesting to login, unlock your padlock and a message to appear saying something like "opening the lock you notice pieces of metal fragments stuck inside" indicating that somebody has been trying to break into your stuff whilst you've been away.

Making stuff invulnerable against other players is also a bit lame. These things are tough to work out the fine lines of.
breaking into other stuff is a really hard thing to get right. It needs to be a good (not even) mixture between realistic and fun. Also I think bolt cutters would be really rare, and when you did find them they would be badly damaged and you would only get 1-2 uses before it breaks. Also I have edited the post and it uses one of your ideas.. kinda.

i like the idea's, it gives true pvp to the game. but yeah it shouldn't be easy like pick lock a door and u got the house and with hot wiring they should add like if u mess it up the alarm goes off and it attracts the zombies and players.
Pick locking would have too be really hard like expert locks on Fallout 3. Also if you where really protective you would not just have one lock on your house.

Thanks all for the comments and looking at the poll most of you want some of the ideas but not others so I am going to re think some.

Last edited:

Applejaxc

Backer
They just have to be careful to balance fun and difficulty. If it's impossible to break in, you can't live the escapist fantasy of the grand heist. If it's too easy, then what's the point of having a base?

Baby Blender

big man
Backer
First off, thank you SO much for creating a fleshed out and well-formatted post. It helps a LOT when you spread out your ideas and details and a nice, easy to read, well-written couple of paragraphs!

Now on the topic of the ideas. I definitely agree with the idea of cars being locked/doors being able to be locked. Highways would get jammed with people trying to make it out of the in-land, or in the case of an island, trying to make it to the ferries or safe zones. All these cars that are to a halt, mixed with the storm-like sound of the engines and yells of drivers would bring lots of hungry heartless zombies. Most people would end up surrounded in their cars, forced to keep their doors locked until they die of starvation and their bodies sit forever in their seat belts.

So locked cars are a must! Now, I do like the idea of locks and such, but a lot of the times, unless you are the original owner of the padlock or simple 2-way click lock, then you don't have the packaging or instructions on how to set or reset your code, which means you yourself would have to lock-pick it.

A more reasonable and actually acute and realistic means of a lock would be salvaging them from door handles or door locks, and then easily attaching them to a chain or bar-holder over your door. Unless you have a lock that is key-based and have the original key, most of the times basic locks are out of the picture.

Now lockpicking and hotwiring cars is actually a lot harder then eHow and such channels/sites of the likes make it seem. It all depends on the make and model, and with tourists in the area, most of the cars will usually be of a mid to high-tier, which almost always makes them a lot harder to hotwire without setting off the alarm and attracting the whole areas population of brain-eaters.

Regards, Blender