• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Loot Respawn or Not?

Should loot replenish after a server restart?

• Total voters
Thread starter Moderator #1

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
Should loot, materials, fuel, etc. respawn after every server restart, or only on a fresh database?

I personally feel that it should not respawn on a server restart, or that an server owner/admin can have the option to turn the respawn on and off.

Any thoughts?

Moderator #2

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
Personally I think if a server would to restart every 4 hours (Like most DayZ Servers) then it should respawn when the servers restart, If you think about it like this, The admin(s) of the server are not going to like re applying the loot around the whole map. Going through a SQL DB and changing a load of numbers to some that you feel are reasonable is ok to start with as it allows a nice balance but after a day or two of doing so it becomes a ball ache.

I know this because I used to have to do it every day if not more often then that when I had my own Epoch server.... That used to take roughly 1 hour to make the stocks of everything reasonable.

Tally Ho!

Thread starter Moderator #3

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I think if you coded into the admin tools to either switch on or switch off the loot respawing could make for very interesting situations. Unlike DayZ however, StN sounds like loot will be much more readily available, except it will take a little more work/caution to acquire it, at least that is what I got from it all anyways.

I also was an Epoch admin/owner, and edited a lot in SQL DB and did a ton of custom scripting and such, it takes a lot of time, then again we were doing things with the engine that is was never intended to do... if it was something that was coded in directly as a switch, I think it could work very well...

Good points though Lord Goose.

Moderator #4

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
Yeah, maybe is they set a default number of items that spawn so you have a button before you go in the SQL DB and can reset them all. Would be nice if that feature was added.

Tally Ho!

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
I personally think it should be the choice of the server host, like dayz, if you want the intense realism there's server for that, though surely some of the gameplay/gamestyle should come down the the server hosts choice, and then the player can join a server which has the features they like???

Applejaxc

Backer
1: I cringe every time there's a suggestion to giving server admins more control over the game. Because of the DayZ(Mod) "Private Hive" has become a vulgar word to me. "9999999999 helicopters 99999999 cars spawn with a rocketlauncherRPGflamethrowerultraraygunofultimatedeathx99999 and unlimited ammo" was the bane of my existence trying to find good servers. I think something like this, where it's basically "Easy" or "Hard" would fragment the community into the 99% wuss players and the 1% hardcore that can't find any servers worth a damn.
2: I like the idea of non-respawning gear. A, it means you can't camp in one city; mobility is survival. B, it creates a Lord of the Flies fight for resources as more and more locations become tapped out. Soon, all 40-whatever players on a server get crammed into the only part of the map that still has any food, clean water, and gasoline, and it becomes an all-out resource war. C, it's realistic.

Finndawg

El Sobreviviente
Backer
1: I cringe every time there's a suggestion to giving server admins more control over the game. Because of the DayZ(Mod) "Private Hive" has become a vulgar word to me. "9999999999 helicopters 99999999 cars spawn with a rocketlauncherRPGflamethrowerultraraygunofultimatedeathx99999 and unlimited ammo" was the bane of my existence trying to find good servers. I think something like this, where it's basically "Easy" or "Hard" would fragment the community into the 99% wuss players and the 1% hardcore that can't find any servers worth a damn.
2: I like the idea of non-respawning gear. A, it means you can't camp in one city; mobility is survival. B, it creates a Lord of the Flies fight for resources as more and more locations become tapped out. Soon, all 40-whatever players on a server get crammed into the only part of the map that still has any food, clean water, and gasoline, and it becomes an all-out resource war. C, it's realistic.
I agree, though it's pretty obvious there's alot of diehard realism fans within the community of STN, I think it's only fair to give player the ability to decide what they find fun themselves, and plus, it's never bad if you get sick of a certain playstyle to tryout a different one.

Applejaxc

Backer
it's never bad if you get sick of a certain playstyle to tryout a different one.
I suppose there's that. Back when I was a diehard fan of Minecraft, I really enjoyed "Hardcore" servers. If I didn't die shortly after spawn, I'd hide from other players until I was decked out, then build something tall, phallic, and attention-getting and wait for the griefers to come. It was fun to see how many people I could eliminate before I, myself, was booted for death.

Except for when I killed a fucking admin, who attacked me first. Then I'd receive a ban for "Poor sportsmanship" or somesuch other bullshit excuse.

That is my fear of toggleable hardcore/softcore gear management. Administrators, moderators, anyone with any level of power (as power corrupts) will justify to themselves in some total bull manor that cheating by spawning in gear is absolutely fair and justified because of X, Y, Z reasons while every honest player has to scour the map for supplies. It's when I know I'm on a server with admins like that that it's time to KoS until I get bored and leave permanently. As I expressed in my first post, I fear (I truly fear) multiplayer sucking because of players who talk a big talk but, when it comes time to walk a big walk, spawn in a hoverboard and fly to their destination instead.

Thread starter Moderator #9

DemoCar82

Community Mod
Backer
I agree with you guys (Finndawg and Applejaxc), but what I always personally felt was that players in the entire community would find the play style they wanted to play, and server admins would provide any number of server options to suit those different play styles.

I mean, the problem with DayZ was that you could script in anything under the sun into the game... I we simply had a handful of togglable options to choose from, I think this would still open up a wide range of play styles w/o creating a power puff land and/or KOS land in most aspects.