• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Loot respawning

Should a long duration loot respawn system be implemented

• Yes

• No

• Yes but with major tweaks

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread starter #1

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
Loot is going to be a major part in this game no doubt about it but in agems like DayZ standalone and ArmA 2 DayZ loot would respawn every 10 to 15 minutes making it very easy to go to a high loot spawn area and farm until you have a good load out of such and then go around killing other players with the ammuntition and good equipment you have collected.

So what i am thinking is maybe making loot respawn once a week and slowly start diminishing as the servers go on like lets say the server recors 12000 bullets fired in 1 week than next week maybe 6-9 thousand round will spawn on the server.

Im No dev so this system i came up with will probably need some serious tweeks

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I want to Bump this thread and see if we can talk about this more as I was thinking the same thing today and found this post to be very similar.

I like the Idea of loot diminishing over time but I don't like how it was worded in your post (no offense please!). let me elaborate. I don't want ammo or other supplies to ever get below 30 percent of the total amount of loot in the game at the start.

I would rather see servers titled with the days they are started. So if there are going to be 50 servers make them start on specific days every week (50/7 gives you the amount of servers that start on Mondays). So for instance if one server started on Monday at 12:01am at the start there is 100 percent loot and this could mean 1000 box's of ammo, 50 of every gun and 100 pallets of cinder block(just used as an example). Than as the week goes on and it "restarts" every 24hrs only 30 percent of the loot comes back randomly. 30 percent ammo, 30 percent food and so on. Than after say 2 weeks the server goes through a master reboot which gives the server its 100 percent loot back. That way the people on the server get day 1 privileges and can grab as much as they can carry and as time goes on and you play more and more there is less loot for them to get. Now if at the start if there is more than 30% of an item in the game than they can tell it to not respawn any more. Now this does not mean that the characters and fortifications go away just the loot cycling is set in this period.

I don't think there should be a specific amount of bullets or other items of the like. I think this is what a good zombie/ survival game needs. If I go into a dinner I should not find a handgun and rounds in a crate in the back by the food stock. I should ONLY be able to find cooking supplies and food. Maybe cleaning supplies since they have to clean the bathrooms. The same goes for building materials. I don't wanna go into someones garage and find piles of cinder blocks and mortar. But if they implement a loot spawning system that is more realistic IE go to a gun shop and find guns and ammo or go to a hardware store to find tools and building materials than they should be able to have a base code value of XX01-99 for all tools and they can write a script that says every restart a max value of 30 percent of those items come back and they spawn randomly around the map than that should give them a great baseline for finding enough to survive but not have everyone run around with thousands of rounds of ammo and building a giant eyesore of a base.

Thanks,

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Agree with both of you here, I only have one thing I can think of adding to what you said @NothingsTRUE and that would be the loot that spawns gets in worse condition each time aswell... so the chances of finding something in really good condition would be in the "early days of the outbreak".

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Agree with both of you here, I only have one thing I can think of adding to what you said @NothingsTRUE and that would be the loot that spawns gets in worse condition each time aswell... so the chances of finding something in really good condition would be in the "early days of the outbreak".
+1 I like this. With the gun repair kits and (hopefully) a weapon repair or maintain kit this would be a fun and great micro feature.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
+1 I like this. With the gun repair kits and (hopefully) a weapon repair or maintain kit this would be a fun and great micro feature.
Pretty sure there will be whetstone I bet even a machine one... plus I think the machine one would have more uses than the stone aswell but that's another suggestion if there isn't one already.

Thread starter #6

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
Yes that is very true but the should be some chances of finding something good far in maybe something that hasnt been found like a weapon that was put in someones safe in there house that happens to be in a weapon case

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
Yes that is very true but the should be some chances of finding something good far in maybe something that hasnt been found like a weapon that was put in someones safe in there house that happens to be in a weapon case
I kind of like this idea but I feel that it is a steal from how H1Z1 when a player dies there body becomes a zombie and if you kill said zombie you get there loot. But I could see a scenario where if there is limited loot re spawning every 24hrs the players items end up getting sent to a random loot location where said items normally go and can be in a pretty decent condition.

Thread starter #8

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
I kind of like this idea but I feel that it is a steal from how H1Z1 when a player dies there body becomes a zombie and if you kill said zombie you get there loot. But I could see a scenario where if there is limited loot re spawning every 24hrs the players items end up getting sent to a random loot location where said items normally go and can be in a pretty decent condition.
This is the thing IN H1Z1 yes the players do come back as zombies but that is only i they die from the h1z1 virus say this game was like the walking dead where the body of a player would come back regardless of the way the player died unless the player died to a headshot of some type or the body was just entirely eaten by others or dismembered. another thing they could add on to a system like that is that maybe lets say the player died from something other than a headshot maybe a shot to the stomach in which the player bled out. someone could see the body come by and jam a knife into its brain or shoot the body in the face. Lets say if the body was eaten that the gear lays on the ground but is severly damaged and if the dead player does come back to life as a zombie they carry there gear around like in h1z1 and maybe a rifle was slung over the back of that player and it would just hang and could be stolen without killing the zombie

Thread starter #9

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
Another thing that could happen with this system is that when items such as food and water spawn again in the world slowly decreasing in amounts over time but they could also be decreasing in quality to the point where is it really safe to eat that granola bar you found in that house?

skarzeny

Backer
I think the loot should be broken down and if you want bullets you must forage for the ingredients
Making it more true to how in life it would be as bullets dont grow on trees
some loot of course would be spawned but as you would actualy find some ammo
but the longer you are ingame the less their should as you would of farmed all the areas

Thread starter #11

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
I think the loot should be broken down and if you want bullets you must forage for the ingredients
Making it more true to how in life it would be as bullets dont grow on trees
some loot of course would be spawned but as you would actualy find some ammo
but the longer you are ingame the less their should as you would of farmed all the areas
I like the way you are going with that but the thing is is the only viable way to "craft" ammunition would be through an actual gunsmith who can make real bullets such as 556 or 762 ammo but even then you would need the correct tools.]

personally i think after a long time what becomes a better solution to bullets is reloading spent casings but even then you would need special tools. This leads to black powder rifles bows and arrows spears and knives being the more used weapons

man_wond

Backer
it all stinks loot spawns day one and then never again till server restarts its not like if drink all the milk close the fridge wait 15 mins open the fridge and boom more milk will be there this way players will have to join together shearing supply's and defend there supply's against other survivors that to me will be fun since if loot spawns all the time then dicks will camp and pvp all the time and this game will turn to shit

SpaceBaldy

Player and part-time fruit bat
Backer
There's some very valid points throughout this thread which depends upon your point of view and what you personally want to get out of STN.

I really support the concept that the Devs have for having a different approach to other games in the genre which I think should extend to loot spawning. How many games suffer from 'magic loot' where loot 'appears before your eyes' and ruins the immersion?

Personally, I think there should be a balanced approach which can be modified by server owners as they opt for 'realism', 'forgiving mode' or some hybrid. This would be dictated my the players - I'm a realism junkie so I am looking for a true apocalypse experience.

A true immersive experience would involve no loot respawning albeit with the potential of passers through dropping unwanted or damaged items; these can be fictional to keep loot respawning rather than having actual players dropping stuff similar to that discussed by @Num47 with degraded quality loot. I want to be in a position where the loot is rare and precious, and if I can't find what I need either craft it or seek out others to help. There are not many games where you can be holed up in the building, Zeds all around and you'd defend your only tin of beans with your life.

I can however see the issues of players logging into a server (that has been up for some time) for the first time and finding nothing, dying from starvation, then vowing never to play again; the game needs to be enjoyable from the first spawn to long term to maintain market appeal. I think the initial release needs to involve limited loot respawning with a starter kit so at least you can survive the first day (food and clothes with ability get water from streams or ponds but no weapons go maintain suspense). I want my first experience to be terrifying to a point where I can't stop playing (e.g. survived my first day by sleeping on the roof of a warehouse - what now?)

We do need to address loot hoarding or servers would be occupied by one player or group as nobody else will be able to survive. As loot would be concentrated to one spot this could trigger loot spawning on the opposite side of the island to give new players an opportunity. Alternatively, the concentration of players and/or loot at the location could trigger increased interest from the Zeds to make life that little bit harder (hoards outside the base).

I do really like the idea of dead players rising again as Zeds with the loot they had on them (as discussed in the posts above) as this could lend itself to having no two characters the same, i.e. true permadeath for a character for ever. Running down a street to see yourself coming the other way as a Zed is an immersion killer.

Server restarts do need to happen although I'm not sure if this should trigger 'a new day' scenario where all loot respawns. It could be that random drops of loot appear in locations that have been over-run the day before (this could be buildings opening up on different random days or found crashed vehicles).

Next up - how awesome would STN be in VR? (sorry Devs, someone was bound to say it).

Thread starter #14

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
There's some very valid points throughout this thread which depends upon your point of view and what you personally want to get out of STN.

I really support the concept that the Devs have for having a different approach to other games in the genre which I think should extend to loot spawning. How many games suffer from 'magic loot' where loot 'appears before your eyes' and ruins the immersion?

Personally, I think there should be a balanced approach which can be modified by server owners as they opt for 'realism', 'forgiving mode' or some hybrid. This would be dictated my the players - I'm a realism junkie so I am looking for a true apocalypse experience.

A true immersive experience would involve no loot respawning albeit with the potential of passers through dropping unwanted or damaged items; these can be fictional to keep loot respawning rather than having actual players dropping stuff similar to that discussed by @Num47 with degraded quality loot. I want to be in a position where the loot is rare and precious, and if I can't find what I need either craft it or seek out others to help. There are not many games where you can be holed up in the building, Zeds all around and you'd defend your only tin of beans with your life.

I can however see the issues of players logging into a server (that has been up for some time) for the first time and finding nothing, dying from starvation, then vowing never to play again; the game needs to be enjoyable from the first spawn to long term to maintain market appeal. I think the initial release needs to involve limited loot respawning with a starter kit so at least you can survive the first day (food and clothes with ability get water from streams or ponds but no weapons go maintain suspense). I want my first experience to be terrifying to a point where I can't stop playing (e.g. survived my first day by sleeping on the roof of a warehouse - what now?)

We do need to address loot hoarding or servers would be occupied by one player or group as nobody else will be able to survive. As loot would be concentrated to one spot this could trigger loot spawning on the opposite side of the island to give new players an opportunity. Alternatively, the concentration of players and/or loot at the location could trigger increased interest from the Zeds to make life that little bit harder (hoards outside the base).

I do really like the idea of dead players rising again as Zeds with the loot they had on them (as discussed in the posts above) as this could lend itself to having no two characters the same, i.e. true permadeath for a character for ever. Running down a street to see yourself coming the other way as a Zed is an immersion killer.

Server restarts do need to happen although I'm not sure if this should trigger 'a new day' scenario where all loot respawns. It could be that random drops of loot appear in locations that have been over-run the day before (this could be buildings opening up on different random days or found crashed vehicles).

Next up - how awesome would STN be in VR? (sorry Devs, someone was bound to say it).
Yes i do like what you have said about immersion and things such as that and if the server would be able to se where more loot is concentrated it could cause those bigger groups to put themselves in great danger to get those cans of beans and weapons+fuel they need to succesfully dominate a server but there is no way one can reign over a server forever and something would be bound to happen such as a large group that practically owns the server goes out on a loot run bringin some vehicles guns ammo food and fuel and what happens when a band of crazed players sets up primitive road spike and attacks the large dominating group with bows and arrows. They are bound to win thus taking those precious weapons and fuel and using it to overthrow that large group. so many things can be caused by that simple mechanic you suggested and with the ability to make it so loot slowly dwindles over time.

Overall a mechanic that sees where loot is held mainly and moves it to the other side of the island and the amount that respawns slowly dropping would be amazing to see a server start really well built with lots of guns and ammo and then going all primitive with bows arrows spears and knives overtime would be good to see

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
There are a crazy amount of detailed posts in this which is super exciting. I feel that the devs have enough of our input to make a proper decision. However I still strongly stand by a LIMIT on how much of one item is spawned (if at all due to a 30% +- ratio) that way there is a real need for player interaction and the possibility of more players using the trading system they are trying to implement.

"sips his 8th beer and starts the reading"

Moderator #16

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Community Mod
Backer
I really like the ideas in here also.

I agree w/ @NothingsTRUE that some items need to be rare. This is something many other games have failed to do (besides my beloved PZ :D ). Regardless, the other games in the genre make a pathetic attempt at this, mainly with the lack of variety of loot. DayZ has a million different types of pants or shirts or hats and then some guns, but ffs where is everything else... like, where did everything go? I think there needs to be tons of different types of things, and some of that shit needs to be common, sparse, rare, ultra rare. Capturing the excitement of actually finding the one piece or part you've needed to finish some cool project at your safehouse is amazing, as to date has only been captured by the DayZ Mod to some extent. This keeps people coming back and playing the game as they have goals to shoot for, whether its certain car parts to get that RV rolling, or the last steel sheets to plate their whole house.

Another thing I personally feel is that in the towns, and especially if there are cities, that zombie populations needs to be considerable. I think you should have to work your ass off to get the loot from a larger town/city. Planning ahead, leaving your safehouse early in the morning to make a trip that you know may take all day, and hope that you or someone with you (because to make the epic trip into the city alone should be damn near impossible IMO), doesn't get hurt or killed. This is also where the large majority of vehicles, parts, loot, etc. needs to be. This puts a common goal for everyone, which will generate interaction, trade, etc. People who normally might not band together, may do so because they both know that there is power in numbers and for each of them (or their groups) to get what they want, they have to. No one, or their group should simply be able to "overtake" or control a town, period, zombie numbers should be way too high... BUT, as you or your group becomes more established and organized, it might become slightly easier and more effective to make a trip into town for a few specific things you needed. This could help solve some of the loot hoarding problems like @SpaceBaldy mentioned, which I agree is a problem.