• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Looting system.

Thread starter #1

DarkAnQc

Backer
First version of the game Yes I admit it was laggy. You would search every house every crate to find random loot for your survival.
Latest looting system to fix the lag is placing items all around the houses and buildings.

I am really trying to get into this game cause I see the potential but its getting hard. When I walk into a house with a chance to loot between 0 and 5 items with a potential between fighting my way through 1 to 6 Zombies survival chance are pretty low.

Its hard to loose yourself in a game when there is no loot to find in any cabinet, fridge, drawer, crate etc. I went to the port to find a bunch of storage crates where i would expect to find good loot. Nothing port is empty no loot. Barely find any food in the supermarket after fighting my way in there.

It seams there is more Z's then loot in the game. Its easier once you find a firearm to start looting but still How can we get people back in game if you start with empty stomach a Headlamp and a bottle of water. Ok you can find firewood from dead trees to make a club.

Still the survival rate to make your fist night with a full belly, water and a chance to loot some gear is rather bad with the conditions written before.

I personnaly prefer the old style looting where you could find anything loot in storage containers fridge etc. Least when I was searching a house or building I was really searching everywhere. Now i look on the floor maby on the table or counter and thats about it. Loot is almost nothing compare to before.

Hope you find a way to balance this and make the game more enjoyable. I keep coming in every patch excited to try and get back into game.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
There is a lot of what @DarkAnQc says here that rings true for me as well.

When loading the game , there's a pop up tip that says loot spawns in relevant buildings. I'd expect to find a can opener in a supermarket. Yes, it's the can opener thing again. All I find are a shed load of zombies and the sort of loot I'd find in houses. On the subject of buildings, why is there no pharmacy / chemist / drug store building in game?

But I do like the loot spawning in the open, coupled with the long press on F to highlight interactive items nearby.

As to starting items, I've never used the headlamp available on the official servers.

[EDIT below]

I'd like to get an idea of spawn / despawn timers on the official game servers, just a rough indication, it would help me plan my activity and perhaps let me survive longer … I do die a lot!

Last edited:
Thread starter #3

DarkAnQc

Backer
@Dr. J Its possible to find can openers I found one in a gaz station. Rarely see them to be honnest. You don't need them at the moment do. Maby to open up a can of peach that won't cook on the grill But reading next patch that problem should be fix.

Just put your uncooked can on a grill or stove start fire you will soon see smoke coming out of the can and boiling noise. After a few minutes you will hear a pop and the can will go from uncook to cook. take and eat. Same goes for canteen with dirty water just put on stove wait a few minutes done.

I understand what you are saying about the loot system now I dont find it bad just not enough for my taste. I mostly find the same items over and over again. gun ammo, few cans of food a few item to heal up and a generator. Generator pull cord, locks, wire spool, etc I barely find any. Maby its me every time I go to one of those stores where the barbershop is weapon store etc. I end up fighting to get so little that i end up just login off.

There is alot of good stuff about this game. Love the hunting part. The fact that you can have electricity with a generator, you can lock your doors and cabinets for the house you desire settle in. You can move and place your items where you want. Vehicules are coming in that will help since the possibility to go from town to town without spending hours walking will be a big plus.

Just wish i find More diversity in the looting.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm glad that we agree on the basics here @DarkAnQc, there is a lot to love in the game. I haven't survived long enough (or perhaps been focused enough?) to be able to cook food or purify water over a fire.

As you rightly say, even in its' pre-alpha state, there is so much more to do!

Thread starter #5

DarkAnQc

Backer
@Dr. J I good trick is to crouch when entering a house expecially if a Z is looking the other way often I get the oportunity to get 1 or 2 loot before they spot so i just run out and leave.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
You're 'on the money' here @DarkAnQc stealthy movement can be the difference between life and death. I often "crouch and cower"