• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Lye and Lime. Useful item and weapon??

Thread starter #1

WasabiKicks91

Backer
As you all know (probably) lye is used to make soap! And if you've read or seen Fight Club it a corrosive as hell and can even cause blindness or death. How do you get lye though? Oyster shells :D. All you gotta do is have the shells and you burn em and produce lye. Lime (or Calcium Hydroxide) can also be produced from oyster shells and have multiple uses as well including an anti fungal preservative for vegetables. They also share similar negative effects that are found in lye (blindness, burning, etc.)

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
that be a cool way to use oysters could even make soap!!! can be a way to slow infection since the number one way to reduce infection is though handwashing

Vegalyp

Schizophrenic Wooden Plank
Backer
I assume that you would like lye and lime based traps?

Thread starter #5

WasabiKicks91

Backer
I assume that you would like lye and lime based traps?
Why not? Unless you breathe it in or swallow it, it won't kill anyone. Saves killing bandits and loosing mental stability over it.

Thread starter #6

WasabiKicks91

Backer
Sweet, throwing in a Fight Club reference made me like this post even more
Now if only there was a waste plant where they take human fat.

Vegalyp

Backer
Well, if you could bottle it and throw it at people it could be incredibly dangerous. Glass cuts + lye/lime = A bad day

Mklwhite

Backer
Wood ash is an easy source for lye. If you could get your hands on quicklime then you've got a great way to go fishing, but to make it from scratch you'd need a lime kiln for the crazy amount of heat.

Thread starter #9

WasabiKicks91

Backer
Well, if you could bottle it and throw it at people it could be incredibly dangerous. Glass cuts + lye/lime = A bad day
And a great idea for a trap :D

Vegalyp

Backer
Speaking to the efficacy of traps based on it, in my chem lab a guy spilled lye on himself. Let's just say that most of the skin on his leg is gone and he is getting grafts.

TL;DR... Lye/Lime for utility (Preserving food) and warfare = A happy Vegalyp

Thread starter #11

WasabiKicks91

Backer
Ooooo water + lye :D

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
I do happen to love homemade explosives. :3
Lye isn't explosive at all? It also has to be combined with some form of moisture to be corrosive.

Vegalyp

Backer
I thought if mixed with water and left into a sealed container it would explode.