• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Making Jerky

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
Smoked BBQ Beef Jerky is where is at.

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
Bacon jerky is AMAZING. Smoked chicken NOM NOM. Only if it comes with the added problem of bringing in zeds or a bigger chance that a larger horde comes to you.

BigRed

Backer
Yep this would work as a way of preserving your food. You could use something as simple as an old oil/fuel barrel and convert it into a small smoker.
You can also use salt as a preservative - but I haven't really figured out where you would get so much salt? Use sea water and let it dry out in the sun? Salt deposits? ???

Thread starter #12

Noah

Backer
Yep this would work as a way of preserving your food. You could use something as simple as an old oil/fuel barrel and convert it into a small smoker.
You can also use salt as a preservative - but I haven't really figured out where you would get so much salt? Use sea water and let it dry out in the sun? Salt deposits? ???
Good way to pack a snack on the go, prepare for what ever is ahead.

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Historically, jerky has been sun-dried on something like rock or metal after being salted. This method is relatively unsanitary though, food poisoning would be a real threat. Working as a drawback for such a simple food preparation method, this would make players explore more advanced/safer techniques.

Salt can easily be gathered by boiling salt water.

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer
Love the idea of smoking, also how about something like this as a method for making the jerky?
Ahaha! The old Alton Brown method! Would you guys be able to implement a long wait time for something like this though? It really does take 8-16 hours to make with a box fan. So I wouldn't expect this to be made in a minute in-game.

Lt Snake X

ParaMedic
Backer
Ahaha! The old Alton Brown method! Would you guys be able to implement a long wait time for something like this though? It really does take 8-16 hours to make with a box fan. So I wouldn't expect this to be made in a minute in-game.
agreed but depending on how long an in game hour is could just be couple mins

Asus

Backer
Sound great! but you would need to kill the deer first then make your jerky maker connected by the fireplace? :D