• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

Making sure the game is fun.

Should they add Blizzards or adjust heavy snow fall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread starter #1

Worst Person

Backer
This game looks like it has a lot of potential and the objective of the game is simple, "survive the nights". I am worried with one thing though.. I am worried that the nights will be impossible to survive for beginners and the reason i bring this subject up is because the game 7 Days to Die, http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/ , makes it very difficult to survive the nights. With zombies automatically knowing where you are and you never being able to hide from the horde at night. I just want to make sure that the game is a fun and not to difficult experience so even casual gamers can enjoy it. One more thing with the visual aspect of the game, when it snows heavily, maybe it can reduce your visibility like a real blizzard or add a chance for blizzards. Where it gets colder than usual and the snow picks up and reduces your viability.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I voted for 'keep it as it is' And I don't know how 'as it is' will be yet. But from the recent release videos I've seen, it looks fantastic.
For me (self confessed STN fan boy) giving the team time to finish an Alpha release for backers should come first.
Then we can work as a community on things like blizzards.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Zeds won't spawn knowing where you are, noise and sight will draw their attention. During the night they will actively look for food, so keep quiet. They look for low lit areas during the day to linger about (indoors, in shrubs, in the treelines anywhere there is shade).

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
As Num said they are drawn to sight and sound. Scavenge for necessities the first day, find a suitable hiding spot and lay low for the night (or sign out until night is over but where is the fun in that). Next day go for some fortification needs and more supplies and maybe some weapons. Survive the second night with the same principle (no noise and light) fearing that you didn't do enough as the pressure and resources dwindle. Third night you go for some guns, ammo and traps as well as more fortification and more essential supplies. You get a good foot hold over the first 3 or 4 nights with less stress and can worry about creature comforts and possibly expanding the fort. Sounds like a fun game and plenty to do :) but we will have to wait and see. I am curious about the blizzards... Snow too deep for vehicles and stamina drain's faster due to walking and running being restricted by the snow. Makes looting harder and over all resource gathering difficult. Could be a mid game killer :) but as Dr. J said later in the builds after stability and features are added. I voted yes as it could be fun but stressful if it last for a few days. Maybe add in a weather radio station on car radios and house radios that can warn us so we can prepare.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Remember to do a quick search and if it's mentioned already join the disscusion, if not then start a new one.
https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/suggestion-consolidation-gameplay-wip.3492/
Post #4 has some topics that may interest you and get your mind going. Trying to keep the ideas together so it's easier for the devs to find/read through.
:)

Back on topic
Now the island is more "complete" and we have a better idea on where it's going, it does seem to make more sense that the winters are the most extreme season of the year... based on the idea of the where-abouts of the island, not far from Canada I think.

It'd be cool to have but they'd need to make sure everything that can be effected is in and works how it should... like the season, vehicles, base fortification etc... but at some point it would be cool for sure.

Moderator #6

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
My input on this.

Various weather patterns would be awesome down the line in development. For now, I think it's actually pretty amazing what they've brought to the table for Alpha release. Visually it is super nice, and I can't wait to see what type of actual environmental affects will have on the players. Obviously temperature will definitely play a role later in game, but could the clothing that keeps you warm weigh more and slow you down as well? I hope so. :D I like the idea of a really heavy snowfall for sure.

I personally feel the first several nights of survival absolutely needs to be tough as hell honestly. Otherwise, the learning curve is too easy IMO and that is what allows people to burn themselves out quick on the game, or allows everyone to be good at the game early on. I wouldn't want to the see that, this is a large, open world SURVIVAL game, it is suppose to be gritty and tough. I feel in order to be good at the game, you need to learn the game, learn how the zombies and animals work, learn how to craft and fortify what you need.

I've played games for nearly 30 years, games in the last 10-15 of that have been sissy-fied so much IMO, it makes a lot of potentially good games no fun at all.

DayZ and 7 Days both are tough right off the bat, and IMO that is what has drawn so many people to them, looking for a true hardcore survival game. I personally feel STN should follow a similar path of making the game difficult right from the get go, but balance it so it is practical to get started. Basically, you won't be able to run around as a fresh spawn and do anything you want without getting torn apart by zombies, if you want to move toward "late-game" crafting/fortification, it should be tough, take a good amount of time... you should have to really work to be good at this game I hope.

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
Zeds won't know your location at any time unless you do something to draw them near.

Last edited:

L0Lattack

The Cheese King
Backer
Zeds won't know your location at any time unless you do something to draw then near.
do you know how the spawn system will work? for example, the trailers show zombies inside a house, but what happens after the house is boarded up? will they stop spawning?

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
do you know how the spawn system will work? for example, the trailers show zombies inside a house, but what happens after the house is boarded up? will they stop spawning?
Yes, they will not spawn in a house that has been taken over by a player.

Thread starter #10

Worst Person

Backer
Zeds won't spawn knowing where you are, noise and sight will draw their attention. During the night they will actively look for food, so keep quiet. They look for low lit areas during the day to linger about (indoors, in shrubs, in the treelines anywhere there is shade).
Alright, that's good to know because i'm 100% positive that 7 days to die, has to where the zombies know where you are at no matter what.

Thread starter #11

Worst Person

Backer
I voted for 'keep it as it is' And I don't know how 'as it is' will be yet. But from the recent release videos I've seen, it looks fantastic.
For me (self confessed STN fan boy) giving the team time to finish an Alpha release for backers should come first.
Then we can work as a community on things like blizzards.
I totally agree that they should finish the game of course but I was just suggesting the idea for the future of STN.

Thread starter #12

Worst Person

Backer
My input on this.

Various weather patterns would be awesome down the line in development. For now, I think it's actually pretty amazing what they've brought to the table for Alpha release. Visually it is super nice, and I can't wait to see what type of actual environmental affects will have on the players. Obviously temperature will definitely play a role later in game, but could the clothing that keeps you warm weigh more and slow you down as well? I hope so. :D I like the idea of a really heavy snowfall for sure.

I personally feel the first several nights of survival absolutely needs to be tough as hell honestly. Otherwise, the learning curve is too easy IMO and that is what allows people to burn themselves out quick on the game, or allows everyone to be good at the game early on. I wouldn't want to the see that, this is a large, open world SURVIVAL game, it is suppose to be gritty and tough. I feel in order to be good at the game, you need to learn the game, learn how the zombies and animals work, learn how to craft and fortify what you need.

I've played games for nearly 30 years, games in the last 10-15 of that have been sissy-fied so much IMO, it makes a lot of potentially good games no fun at all.

DayZ and 7 Days both are tough right off the bat, and IMO that is what has drawn so many people to them, looking for a true hardcore survival game. I personally feel STN should follow a similar path of making the game difficult right from the get go, but balance it so it is practical to get started. Basically, you won't be able to run around as a fresh spawn and do anything you want without getting torn apart by zombies, if you want to move toward "late-game" crafting/fortification, it should be tough, take a good amount of time... you should have to really work to be good at this game I hope.
I agree the game should be tough but in 7 days to die the zombies know exactly where you are at night and just destroy your whole base making it almost impossible to thrive, and trust me me and my friends tried a lot. I just wanted to make sure that the game was possible. With zombies only knowing where you are at, by location and sounds, not only because they were programmed to instantly know where you are. I now been informed that they are set to only know where you are at by location and sounds which makes me really happy to hear.

Moderator #13

DemoCar82

This is it... the apocalypse.
Backer
I agree the game should be tough but in 7 days to die the zombies know exactly where you are at night and just destroy your whole base making it almost impossible to thrive, and trust me me and my friends tried a lot. I just wanted to make sure that the game was possible. With zombies only knowing where you are at, by location and sounds, not only because they were programmed to instantly know where you are. I now been informed that they are set to only know where you are at by location and sounds which makes me really happy to hear.
Yeah, as long as the game is tough, but zombies aren't just going to swarm you for no reason, I will be happy.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
A thought that I had was, since zombies are going to seek the shadows and so on during the day shouldn't there be a shit ton of them in doors? Don't get me wrong I love the idea of having to clear out a building to get supplies but I just don't want there to be like 5 zombies in a grocery store making it easy than bam zombies appear like jumping through a worm hole from another dimension at night time. Guess we will have to wait and see when they release it for us.