• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Maybe a (slooow) way to improve your mental health over time

Thread starter #1

dundeechief

Backer
I've been thinking of different scenarios that you may be forced to kill in and the effects that could have on your character's mental state.

So, a group attacks your house and you are forced to kill a few people. Your mental state suffers due to this, but what if over time (game time not real time) you don't get into high stress situations, you avoid conflict, maybe give stuff to people or do some healing of others (although how you would stop these last 2 being abused I don't know) etc.

This could be a method of improving your mental state that would also encourage some balanced play without making one type of play better than an other. If this was a method it would be less prone to abuse, you couldn't just go on a killing spree then avoid the consequences, you couldn't for example stockpile meds then go on a spree.
Just a thought.

Survivor

"I'm gonna give him an offer he can't refuse."
Backer
Very true I'm sure people who aren't bandits will be forced to shoot and kill sometimes to defend themselves or just to simply survive, (let's be honest, no one ever said the zombie apocalypse was going to be a walk in the park) and the whole mental bar system could either help with bandits or just work in favor for the bandits. I would say to come up with a way to fix your mental health (slowly like you suggested) overtime.

jakejakereal

Mature Adult
Backer
Maybe the more time you spent with people who have HMH (High Mental Health) the higher your mental health increases and the opposite for spending time with people with LMH (low mental health). For example a bandit who had killed multiple people would "infect" others with his LMH over time.

Survivor

Backer
Maybe the more time you spent with people who have HMH (High Mental Health) the higher your mental health increases and the opposite for spending time with people with LMH (low mental health). For example a bandit who had killed multiple people would "infect" others with his LMH over time.
You know the saying don't hang around with the wrong crowd? Yeah that would apply to this if added, haha! Nice idea.

SadPanda284

Backer
honestly that sounds like a great idea. there have been other games in the past that have dealt with mental state, & the way they normally handle it is similar. i don't remember the name of the game, but there was one in particular i'm thinking of where there was a sort of trust system in place, & if you did things that were crazy or dirty, your NPC companions would start to lose trust in you, or may even start having breakdowns & stuff. as long as you did things that showed you were trustworthy, your team would form a stronger bond with you & it would make them more willing to fight with & protect you. if we brought that to this game, it would make "real-world" sense, & also help to fight the side effects of "self-defense" killings. another alternative too could be antidepressants or other medicines in the game you could take to remove the effect.

Survivor

Backer
Or if you play a game of checkers with your friend or some poker and lose a can of beans:( could be good for your mental health to play some mini games like that.
Then you get stabbed for a can of beans.

Afitz200

Alpha Backer!
Backer
Well, there has to be a way to improve it. You cant just have a constant downward system. Thats like having 100 health but no way to heal!

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
Well, there has to be a way to improve it. You cant just have a constant downward system. Thats like having 100 health but no way to heal!
Yea that's what playing checkers or poker or doing something else relaxing is for.

Afitz200

Alpha Backer!
Backer
Yea that's what playing checkers or poker or doing something else relaxing is for.
Oh, so your talking about more of a active (rather than passive) way to increase your mental health faster?

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
Yea kinda but I'd assume both would be in.

Grynn Reaper

Embrace the weirdness - Grynn
Backer
its not just shooting people that harms your mental state, eating crappy food and poor living conditions also deteriorate your mental state. I just think the penalties you get from murder shouldn't be ameliorated by eating steak and showering.

Jay-Dub

Maddaber
Backer
Yea i had a suggestion to one of the devs when we were speaking. It was about the mental health and murder not doing so much if you had been attacked by this player ( we discussed a couple methods of applying this) and having a survivor perk that you rank up slowly that will stop mental dammage when eating bad food and seeing zombies and seeing players die. What not you get what i am saying right?

Jay-Dub

Maddaber
Backer
Yea i get what you are saying, But soon after killing a few times. I would assume in that kind of situation you would start to understand the fight or flight style. And be able to not be so affected by it after some time. Then you start looking up to the little things. Being a steak, Being any kind of food in your stomach. Being alive another day.

Daniel Riley

professional Tea Drinker
Backer
Yeah, your mental state will improve over time. Some things will increase it more.
Ye, i agree with this, your mental state would slowly regain over long periods of time, but you could do activities like farming to regain it faster, the reason i went with farming is that it cannot be exploited as it always takes a set amount of time to grow the crops.