• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Items/Object - Depreciation/Wear & Repair/Maintenance

brianennis1

Backer
hi guys i thought i had posted this topic already maybe i forget to click the button but i cant seem to find the thread
someone else had also mentioned this forget his name sorry, i think having a repair function in the game would be cool like being able to sharpen a blunt knife, use animal fat to stop your rifle / shotgun from rusting and repair your cloths with dear hide patch up tear or holes
anyone have any thoughts ?
Regards
BRIAN

brianennis1

Backer
that was me.. and another guy who
Might this be what you are refeering too? http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/gun-jam-and-gun-maintenance.487/
Anyway in that thread theres a guy that mentions knife sharpening, which I also think is a great idea.
possibly could be.. i did mention it in a thread before and im sure other people have as well maybe anyways i too think it would be a cool feature to have in the game sharpening your knife and possibly waterproofing your rifle / shotgun..

thanks a lot for your positive feedback

Kind Regards
BRIAN

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Backer
Just to specify, I'm not going to lock this thread, as you can see this thread is about "Weapon Deterioration and repairing" the other thread is about "Gun jam and gun maintenance" Yes, they both focus on two topics, it's the different topic in both which is keeping this thread open. If possible could you only discuss the deterioration on weapons, how it could come into effect, the pro's / cons on having this implemented.

If the discussion goes in a similar trend to the thread linked by @Madsl I'll have to close this thread and reference it as a duplicate thread.

Tally Ho!

P.s If that came across to abrupt / rude I do apologise and I don't mean to offend. I just want to make sure this thread and the discussion stays open. :)

brianennis1

Backer
Just to specify, I'm not going to lock this thread, as you can see this thread is about "Weapon Deterioration and repairing" the other thread is about "Gun jam and gun maintenance" Yes, they both focus on two topics, it's the different topic in both which is keeping this thread open. If possible could you only discuss the deterioration on weapons, how it could come into effect, the pro's / cons on having this implemented.

If the discussion goes in a similar trend to the thread linked by @Madsl I'll have to close this thread and reference it as a duplicate thread.

Tally Ho!

P.s If that came across to abrupt / rude I do apologise and I don't mean to offend. I just want to make sure this thread and the discussion stays open. :)
OK no problem i know multiple threads discussing the same thing is a problem for admin thanks for the info much appreciated

Kind Regards
BRIAN

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Backer
I have also just realised. That thread is in the backer section, so even if you did search, you wouldn't of found anything similar to what you posted / made this thread. :)

brianennis1

Backer
hello again lads and lassies so last night i was thinking about deterioration on weapons, and i know it might be a long way from being implemented in the game, but it got me thinking when i first thought about it i thought about using animal fat for waterproofing, i later asked @Lord Goose his thoughts he mentioned that to maintain a weapon you need parts which is true and the chances of finding parts might be very slim like for example bolt for a rifle. but what if you had 2 weapons of the same make model calabor etc for example Mosin Nagant m91/30 which i believe is already in the game and could dismissible it for parts to sell trade or use to rebuild your weapon?

also on looking after your hunting knife
every hunter knows that a blunt knife is pretty much unless especially when it comes to field dressing or skinning a kill big or small dear or rabbit its the same principle the knife needs to be sharp for a clean job otherwise you risk commentating the meat by using to pressure to force it 90% of the time the intestines or stomach burst, anyways my point is sometimes i for got to bring my pocket sharpener with me and a trick i do to sharpen my knife is to use the edge of the car/ jeep window aka the glass. it would be very useful in zombie survival situation for example right chick on car window to sharpen knife something like that maybe..??? also another option would be to use a wet stone.

Regards
BRIAN

Last edited:

Mightytall

Backer
I think wear and breakage on guns should be very minimal.
Even cheaply made, mass produced guns usually run thousands of rounds without failures.
I read through the other thread Madsl referred to.
Cleaning should be a concern for sure, but there again it would be good to have it well balanced.
A Glock will eat a thousands of rounds with no cleaning and no failures ... and then a thousand more, while a 22 pistol may jam after a hundred because 22lr is just very dirty.

Callsignwulf

DerpWulf
Backer
.22lr jams often because the ammo doesn't really have any standards. Yeah it's a little dirty, but compare rounds between manufacturers. Some have a crapton of wax on the bullet, some have very little, there's too much variance. And it's a rimmed cartridge that's really small. Pretty much all .22's are inherently unreliable, though some do a lot better once you find the kind of ammo it likes.
That being said, my M&P15-22 has never jammed, and CCI Minimags seem to work well in pretty much all .22lr's I've seen.

As far as weapon wear and tear, I've got quite a few rounds through my AR, and I rarely clean the thing. Like, I've only cleaned it once after 2500 rounds, and that's only because I was already taking it apart to work on installing some stuff. Never had rust issues with it. My shotgun has had some slight exterior rust after sitting for a while but it wipes off with even the slightest amount of lube/coating on it.
I doubt people are going to have enough ammo ingame at one time to make wear/breakage an issue.

Moderator #114

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
It would be good if you could maybe take parts off of other guns to upgrade or repair another?
That's a interesting idea. Make a separate post on this. I don't see why this wouldn't work, but some parts would be limited.

Nathan.B

Zombie Slayer!
Backer
It would be good if you could maybe take parts off of other guns to upgrade or repair others? For example take a hunting rifle barrel of and repair or upgrade a de-graded rifle. You could also take parts of of something like a hand gun, like the slide and put it on another or something. I just thought that this feature would be a nice little touch on the survival aspect of the game regarding your weapons and the maintenance of them.?

Moderator #116

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
It would be good if you could maybe take parts off of other guns to upgrade or repair others? For example take a hunting rifle barrel of and repair or upgrade a de-graded rifle. You could also take parts of of something like a hand gun, like the slide and put it on another or something. I just thought that this feature would be a nice little touch on the survival aspect of the game regarding your weapons and the maintenance of them.?
I really do like this idea. It makes sense, and it's unique to the whole weapon crafting process. +1

EDIT: The only think I can see not flying here is the upgrade system. It would make the weapon OP if someone had the right parts, but repairing it I am on board with.

Callsignwulf

DerpWulf
Backer
The guns would have to be identical. Simply taking a slide off one gun and onto another doesn't work. You've got to worry about the slide rails being the right dimensions, the barrel/locking block thingy being identical, the trigger working with the mechanisms in the slide for striker fired guns and on hammer fired, the dimensions of the hammer, among many other issues.

Now if you did mean to take two identical guns and replace one part with another, then just ignore that top bit.

Moderator #118

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
The guns would have to be identical. Simply taking a slide off one gun and onto another doesn't work. You've got to worry about the slide rails being the right dimensions, the barrel/locking block thingy being identical, the trigger working with the mechanisms in the slide for striker fired guns and on hammer fired, the dimensions of the hammer, among many other issues.

Now if you did mean to take two identical guns and replace one part with another, then just ignore that top bit.
Well I think he meant that. Like finding a rail that fits to a Glock 18, and using it to replace one you already own that might be old, or used.

EDIT: But you are right. You can't find a pistol rail and stick it on a rifle (obviously) or a Glock rail fitting an M9.

odinfan1

shhh im hunting zombies
Backer
I like the degrading part. Upgrading could be nice like scopes, larger magazine, lasers stuff like that because I don't think that upgrade +1 type would work with the setting. Not to mention parts have to be compatible in order to work as planned

FuzioN

Backer
jamming should exist, it could be a trait weapon has just as recoil,damage,range,bullet drop, some weapon have really low weaponjam rate, some weapon can function in many firemodes, some weapons should not be fired in specifc modes but you can do it, and they jam easier there.

However dont make jamming to common, where it happens so it makes the game frustrating, however it should happen now and then, becuse going the route day z going so realistic it becomes unrealistic is the least thing ppl wants, like jumping down stairs and you break your leggs from a distance any young man would be able to survive without any damage to your body(you who have played day z knows what i am talking about :D)