• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Items/Object - Depreciation/Wear & Repair/Maintenance

Jeffernaut

Backer
Just this second started re-watching The Walking Dead. Just got the the second scene when rick is trying to find gas at the old farm house, and it reminded me of this thread. If you had to remove dead bodies from the house as well as if you didn't clean off the blood splattered walls, I was thinking it could affect your person's mental state if you stay in the house for a long time.

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
Something that should also go with the jamming is your barrel overheating. If you're in a situation where you have to defend your house and you have enough ammunition to do it you should have to worry about jams and the fact that if you continuously fire you could cause the barrel to melt and in turn could cause serious harm to you character

Charleston

Made Sweet as Sugar
Backer
The amount that the gun jams could vary on the environment you are in. For example if you were in a swamp or a sandy area the gun will jam a lot because of gun parts getting clogged up with mud or sand. Areas such as fields or indoors would be the opposite and jam less.
Knowing the guns that I own, I myself only have them jam with specific magazines. My clip seems to always jam unless I pull it back slightly before and after firing. Maybe more used magazines can make the weapon jam more often. Also being outside just standing up would not clog the gun full of debris. Possibly in sand if there was a storm but otherwise no. Maybe if you go prone or crouch that would make more sense.

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
after a certain distance you should have to run the risk of opperating your vehicles because if you have a vehicle long enough it is going to have problems such as your tires wearing down or your fuelpump or filter getting clogged or burning a hole in a piston things like these would make the game that much scarrier like maybe when you are transferring equipment from house to house with some of your buddies maybe you are flying at 90 mph down the highway and your front left tire pops and you are going so fast you lose control of the vehicle and flip possibly injusring or killing your teamate and yourself and possibly ruining some of the gear in your vehicle

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
We should be able to estimate the condition of our guns so lets say you find a gun laying in the middle of the street you know somethings gonna be wrong with it but if you spend enough timje working on it you should be able to bring that weapon back to a good almost factory new condition. also if you go to a gun store and find a gun sitting on a gun rack that gun is gonna be in pretty good condition because it is well in a gun store where new guns come from. Lets say you find a gun thats in a good case in some house you ought to know that gun is gonna be in a used but working condition

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
We should be able to estimate the condition of our guns so lets say you find a gun laying in the middle of the street you know somethings gonna be wrong with it but if you spend enough timje working on it you should be able to bring that weapon back to a good almost factory new condition. also if you go to a gun store and find a gun sitting on a gun rack that gun is gonna be in pretty good condition because it is well in a gun store where new guns come from. Lets say you find a gun thats in a good case in some house you ought to know that gun is gonna be in a used but working condition
I think that's what other games have tried to emulate with durability systems. Some items you'd find would be like new, while others would be nearly non-functional, with more scattered in between the two. Then there would be repair kits you could use to restore the durability, essentially fixing it, so you can use it again until the durability once again drops to nothing.

*edit*
What I don't like about this system is you simply look at the item and instantly know the durability (current & max values). What very few games do, is have you inspect the equipment first which takes time. I'd like to see something like this in STN.

Say for example I find a pistol. If I choose, I'd like to be able to pick it up and immediately start using it (provided it's durability is not at zero). I wouldn't know how long I could use it, wouldn't know the durability values, etc. OR, I could spend the time to inspect the pistol to gain more information about it.

Davz Not Here

Backer
I think that's what other games have tried to emulate with durability systems. Some items you'd find would be like new, while others would be nearly non-functional, with more scattered in between the two. Then there would be repair kits you could use to restore the durability, essentially fixing it, so you can use it again until the durability once again drops to nothing.

*edit*
What I don't like about this system is you simply look at the item and instantly know the durability (current & max values). What very few games do, is have you inspect the equipment first which takes time. I'd like to see something like this in STN.

Say for example I find a pistol. If I choose, I'd like to be able to pick it up and immediately start using it (provided it's durability is not at zero). I wouldn't know how long I could use it, wouldn't know the durability values, etc. OR, I could spend the time to inspect the pistol to gain more information about it.

and if skills are going to be introduced, and learned by doing them (other threads) ..... as well as some sort of character class (other threads) .....

this could become something you became better at over time ..... what shape the weapons is in

[TGE]Gloriousdixon

Backer
Yeah i didnt mean it to be like that but there should be some hidden stat that will slowly decrease and the lower it gets the more likely the weapon will jam but you should have to take the weapon apart and based on the maximum stat value so lets say a sniper rifle you can look at the barrel and parts of the bolt for scratches then make an estimation in your head of what you think that the value could be so say the maximum value is 2000 youd have to look through the parts than make an educated guess as to where that stat is say the stat be 1693 and you make a guess of 1755. Eventually youd get better at guessing the stat

Davz Not Here

Backer
Yeah i didnt mean it to be like that but there should be some hidden stat that will slowly decrease and the lower it gets the more likely the weapon will jam but you should have to take the weapon apart and based on the maximum stat value so lets say a sniper rifle you can look at the barrel and parts of the bolt for scratches then make an estimation in your head of what you think that the value could be so say the maximum value is 2000 youd have to look through the parts than make an educated guess as to where that stat is say the stat be 1693 and you make a guess of 1755. Eventually youd get better at guessing the stat
or even swap parts from one gun, to another to increase / decrease it

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
That would be an interesting dynamic, I like it.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I'm worried about the extra load this might put on the servers and client machines ...
What about "modular buildings" that can have different "stages" for each room both "derelict" and "clean"?

Found the thread ;)