• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Player Mechanics - Climbing, Movement, Combat

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Should have Chivalry level melee mechanics, that would great. Although it would take time to make a complex melee system and we probably won't be swinging around medieval weapons. Just a thought. Something better then the normal Melee system in these types of games would be nice is what I am trying to say. Blocking would be a good start, maybe even dodging. Grappling doesn't sound like to bad of an idea. I definitely think if melee is going to be a big part of the game that these features should seriously be considered.

Davz Not Here

Backer
+1
i agree
i would like to see a melee system that is just as detailed as the rest of the game is going to be
2 good ideas so far, i'm going to see how this plays out, and think some more on it.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Should have Chivalry level melee mechanics, that would great. Although it would take time to make a complex melee system and we probably won't be swinging around medieval weapons. Just a thought. Something better then the normal Melee system in these types of games would be nice is what I am trying to say. Blocking would be a good start, maybe even dodging. Grappling doesn't sound like to bad of an idea. I definitely think if melee is going to be a big part of the game that these features should seriously be considered.
Dodging is something I forgot to add, thanks ;)

Something simple like a quick back or side step would be enough I imagine... maybe add in a Shatner Roll (Example) to dodge a vehicle.

Davz Not Here

Backer
Dodging is something I forgot to add, thanks ;)

Something simple like a quick back or side step would be enough I imagine... maybe add in a Shatner Roll (Example) to dodge a vehicle.
double tap a direction key, roll in that direction

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Something else I thought would be good but might not be...

Using a melee weapon to hit a weapon from the attackers hand, could only be possible if you hit their hand and depending on the physical condition (maybe it's wounded or they have been working all day) of their hand if they drop it or not.

SpaceBaldy

Player and part-time fruit bat
Backer
I like the idea of a melee system but I always had an image of a survivalist 'street fight' method with whoever gets in the first swing with a weapon that makes contact is usually the victor (with some sanity loss for the average Joe). Makeshift armour may prevent broken limbs or cuts but the shock alone is more than likely to drop an opponent. Pushing, punching and kicking are probably the second line of defence after running; personally if I see a player brandishing an axe with intent to use I'm getting out of there as they are clearly mad / insane / fruity loops due to the planned sanity system.

I've always wanted a 'kick in the nut sack' button in a game....please Devs make my dream come true!

Davz Not Here

Backer
I've always wanted a 'kick in the nut sack' button in a game....please Devs make my dream come true!
we might consider renaming that move to something more like
- "the 'only 2 ways out of a fight are, standing up or lying on the ground' button"
- "the 'there are no rules of war' button"
- "the 'dirty fight' button" (includes gouging eyes, pulling hair, biting, and other such 'F You I'm winning' moves)

feel free to vary these statements

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I like the idea of a melee system but I always had an image of a survivalist 'street fight' method with whoever gets in the first swing with a weapon that makes contact is usually the victor
That's the overall feeling I would like melee to have too... gritty, heart pounding and tactical where one hit can make a difference...
Situations like fighting hand-to-hand throwing each other around for the only weapon in the room, hitting a gun from a hostage takers hand then subduing them (risky but badass :cool:) or just a lucky smack to the head could give you the upper hand...

I want a fight not a dance :D

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
++1 I love this Idea and am shocked to see it hasn't been discussed as a whole yet.

I can see this being a sort of fight night style of fisty cups with like others have said a Chivalry style weapon mechanic. This would be a game changer in the world of melee combat. With the zeds roaming in hoards it may be better for a nice melee system to be implemented to allow for confrontations without attracting too much attention.

NothingsTRUE

Survivor
Backer
I like the idea of a melee system but I always had an image of a survivalist 'street fight' method with whoever gets in the first swing with a weapon that makes contact is usually the victor (with some sanity loss for the average Joe). Makeshift armour may prevent broken limbs or cuts but the shock alone is more than likely to drop an opponent. Pushing, punching and kicking are probably the second line of defence after running; personally if I see a player brandishing an axe with intent to use I'm getting out of there as they are clearly mad / insane / fruity loops due to the planned sanity system.

Yes the special judo below the belt kick is a MUST!

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
+1
Even though it's considered so probably going in, I'd just like to throw in the idea of IK (Inverse Kinematics) as seen in titles such as GTA and AC.

I understand it works better for third-person games for the look and feel of the character but I also think it works well in a FPS too for all the same reasons.

Just a thought...

Last edited:

BubuMick

The close fight (versus zombie or survivors) in the Zombie game is often disappointing too, not immersive. I would love close fight as in the game " Chivalry: Medieval warfare " with a few adaptations.
The fall is often forgotten in the first person game, i think it is a big add for a gameplay. Make for kilometers running back without falling is strange, no?

Please, take this into consideration. All survive games make not close fight, it becomes tiresome.

Thank you for your work.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer

Biff

Survivor
Backer
sooo...yeah. i was thinking it'd be cool to have animations and such to step over tripwire traps if you spot them ( or disarm them, but that is another topic ). it could work sort of like.. if you spot it you can highlight it and have an interect menu and one sub option could be " step over ", with others like " disarm " or " mark " . the mark option could be a tactic that is faster than disarming but make it so the next time you walk near it you automatically step over.

also, if you're the one who places the tripwire you should be able to automatically step over them without hassle.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
@Biff so glad you posted this... I forgot to post it because as I could not find a good place...

Yes Yes Yes +1... love the idea (not just because I thought of it too :D) because it's something that people do and with no skill needed just hope your not the clumsy type...

And I would start a Disarming Traps thread, but these would just be merged :p so I too would like the ability to disarm "marked" traps with the right tools like example pliers...

There is another thing I think about when I imagine this and that is having some traps that can only by-passable/disarmed by two people... like holding up/open a heavy door/gap in a wire fence... thing of that nature.

Edit: I new co-op actions where mentioned somewhere... so my second thought would tie in with this.
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/cooperative-movements.1231/

Biff

Survivor
Backer
one thing i've always wanted was the ability to adjust how fast my walking speed is. if my plan is to raid 20 houses in a neighborhood, I would want a slower walking speed for indoors. If i'm just walking through a town but want to be safe about it, i'd want a more brisk walking speed.

Davz Not Here

Backer
one thing i've always wanted was the ability to adjust how fast my walking speed is. if my plan is to raid 20 houses in a neighborhood, I would want a slower walking speed for indoors. If i'm just walking through a town but want to be safe about it, i'd want a more brisk walking speed.
@Num47
in this post http://community.survivethenights.n...-it-possible-for-us-to-sneak.3430/#post-65019
made mention of a 'toggle' switch for "sneak -> walk -> jog -> sprint" .....

i know i want an 'autorun' button ..... for those long runs across the world

Davz Not Here

Backer
yes +1

i want to be able to spot traps and avoid or disarm them

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
+1