• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Player Mechanics - Climbing, Movement, Combat

Bchhog

Avid Supporter
Backer
Might aswell put the thought in here... @Bchhog how about the chance of disarming an opponent if/when you are hitting hands/arms?
It would need to be slim or else it would become a nuisance. The chance could increase with less calorie intake and worse health. Mental state shouldn't really affect it as that would already be contributing to debuffs. We should settle on a location where the weapon would fall. Likely away from both combatants or directly below them. Weapons should have difference chances of being disarmed as well. Knives and pipe length objects would likely have the lowest chance while heavy and larger objects such as a sledge hammer, if not wielded with two hands, would be higher.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Some more ideas for combat, damage effects... like taking a blow to the head (giggity) with a blunt object could make the screen fuzz/blur for a moment, maybe make your ears ring and audible grunts, moans when hit... that cool stuff.

RickGrimes

.44 Magnum
Backer
Been digging around and I can't find a specific thread about melee combat as a whole...
EDIT:
Done a thorough search through the forum and found this :rolleyes:
http://community.survivethenights.net/threads/fist-fights.757/
Fuck, my memory is worse than I thought... the topic of grappling is discussed in here, including a post of mine :oops:
----
What I mean by that is, I have been thinking (while playing) about why PvP melee combat in most games feels dull and without personality... more just moving back and forth swinging and stabbing wildly.

I'd like to see a change in this... I want melee combat to be intense.

I have broke it up into these category's to make things easier to work out (for me anyway):

Block/Parry:
Being able to block/parry attacks where you have an equal weapon to the attacker/hand-to-hand and if successful would leave the attacker open to attack/grapple for a brief moment .

Attack:
Not much can be done with this but minor changes may make the whole experience better...
Needing to charge your attacks which would use more or less stamina and do more or less damage depending on power.

Grapple:
Now I am not thinking WWE when I say grapple... no supplex or DDT shit but something more like a shove/throw (depending on your physical condition and stamina) in a direction (maybe toward an object or zombies) as to escape or get the upper hand in the fight.

A grapple would only be performed after a successful block/parry (and from behind?), but it should also take into factor the state of both players physical condition and level of stamina...
so you would stand more chance of pulling this off if the other person is wounded and low or extremely low on stamina.

Finisher:
Now by this I don't mean a fatality rather more a possible knockout if successful, so as to keep you from suffering a mentality... It would only be successful when the opponent is extremely low on stamina and during a grapple move (instead of throwing/shoving) and would give you the option to either leave the fight as the winner or kill the person.

As always these are just thoughts and ideas, so feel free to alter and or add to this...
I like a lot of this, but then I get worried when I think about how Dead Island was so fun but yet the mechanics sometimes just made me so disappointed... Dying Light definitely did it a bit better, but still was the same thing ( also by the same company) so therefore I just can't agree 100% with this. Not to say though, that I would love to see some nice mechanics in this game such as the attack and block/parry thing would be awesome. Also, the finisher thing would be cool, maybe push the walker back into a trap or some kind of spike. Maybe even just smashing the head in with a blunt object or chopping the head off, even putting a gun to the head and blowing it's brains out ( giggity ) these things would be very interesting. :)

UndeadSwat

Backer
Yeah that would work but i'd say that the option to knife someone in the head who's playing dead rather than waste bullets. Like an animation to knife someone who's "dead"

Biff

Survivor
Backer
i am way into an emote or whatever they're called that is a laydown like a ' placeholder ' corpse or whatever. having the option to hide underneath dead bodies is even better

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Hiding in, behind or under cover seems like a great idea.
To me, I would depend on how the dev.'s envisage we get detected by zombies.
Do they smell us, do they see us, hear us, something else? A combination?
All of the above would probably work against players. Might you be disadvantaged if another player approached you thinking you were actually dead, looking for loot? How quickly could you stand up (or crouch) again?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Hmmm lying down and playing dead may end up in you being dead, zed will most likely just eat you or at-least try and a person will approach to loot your "corpse" and when you move, BANG!! BANG!! "heh guess this zombie wasn't dead" and it could also be used to lure someone over to you, so it could lead to some misfortunate situations. But I am not against it as I suppose it would be a tactic some people would use for what-ever means, so a "playing dead" emote would be cool... +1

Bartrick

---
Backer
Sounds pretty good to add. 'Dying Light' is one of my most favorite games and to add more real sliding and climbing would be a good passive rout or if you are trying to escape zeds. I do like the idea of sliding under a car when zeds are after you. Seems good enough
+1

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
I'm not that concerned about the trailer stuff.
Ever seen a trailer that has no resemblance to the game / movie?
Thought so.
My own belief is the most recent STN trailer is an honest representation of what we can expect in game. Perhaps a little hastily rendered to keep all us backers happy? The game might be better, might be worse. Honestly, well our 'mileage' will depend on internet speed, computer power and a shed load of other things the Dev. team can't control.
The best thing is we can always talk to them, or the people at AllGamer who will be spinning up the initial servers.
Anyone been able to say that about a new game? Thought not.
I've been glad to be part of the journey. It's been a pleasure to get to know you all.

JMan

We really need a freelook option/hotkey please. ;)

Also finding fall damage a bit much. Died yesterday due to falling about 3feet into water from a pier. :D

YuNoGuy123

Part of the gucci gang
Backer
I think a little bit of a parkour system would benefit the game, and it'd be cool if it tied in with the overall health system, where you could climb on top of buildings faster if you had a higher overall health to get away from zombies or other enemies, i hope this is considered...