• Hello Guest,

Alpha v1.0 has been released on Steam! Bug reports can be made using our new in-game bug reporting system. Please consider joining our Discord if you need assistance.

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Radio & TV Stations/Towers

Davz Not Here

Backer
I'd really like it if in the beginning, like in PZ, there are still functioning radio stations with news blurbs about the spread of the infection. Over time the news eventually thins and becomes an EBS signal before fading to static

@a2z(Interactive); -let me know if i can do some voice over work

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I'd really like it if in the beginning, like in PZ, there are still functioning radio stations with news blurbs about the spread of the infection. Over time the news eventually thins and becomes an EBS signal before fading to static

It would be cool if we could take over/fortify radio stations and get them working again. Not sure how much power that requires but I suspect a radio station might have it's own generator backup so it could just be a matter of getting any needed parts and fuel to run it. Although I would also suspect if this was possible people would also just use it to troll. In any case, again if this is a possibility some time down the road, you'd likely need a decent group with a 24/7 rotating presence to ensure it doesn't get taken over by someone else.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
The thought of overhearing the station get over-run by zeds, then hearing just the odd grumble and moan from our new host is a funny one...

STN's very own Dave Rabbit :p

Davz Not Here

Backer
It would be cool if we could take over/fortify radio stations and get them working again. Not sure how much power that requires but I suspect a radio station might have it's own generator backup so it could just be a matter of getting any needed parts and fuel to run it. Although I would also suspect if this was possible people would also just use it to troll. In any case, again if this is a possibility some time down the road, you'd likely need a decent group with a 24/7 rotating presence to ensure it doesn't get taken over by someone else.
great idea ..... discussed in a thread someplace under 'buildings'

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
great idea ..... discussed in a thread someplace under 'buildings'
Which part in particular? I sorta covered a bit there. ;)

I know we'll be able to power buildings with portable generators at some point, but I figure certain buildings would have their own dedicated generator backup (hospitals, fire stations, police stations, etc). A radio station would be likely to have their own, especially on an island, to provide emergency/weather alerts should the power be down. A portable (hand carry) generator could power the radio station building itself, but likely wouldn't be enough to power the antenna. A towable generator could likely handle it though.

Anyways, since we're talking about radio stations here I figure I'd mention they would likely have their own on-site generator to power everything. It could be a stationary solution or a towable one, but nonetheless would be on-site (or somewhere easily accessible like a nearby storage garage) in the event of a power outage emergency. :D

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Working radio stations would be a cool addition.... like mentioned above people would use it for music/banter but if it's in hopefully people would come up with some creative uses, like luring zeds around streets, houses and assuming the people who are tuning in are the civilized type maybe certified trading, pvp, pve zones etc can be set up along with other things suggested that accommodate cooperative gameplay...

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer

Davz Not Here

Backer
Which part in particular? I sorta covered a bit there. ;)
all of it .... but i also don't know what thread i am in now so ..... grain of salt

Davz Not Here

Backer
Working radio stations would be awesome fun in RP heavy servers for sure!

Davs....that's THIS thread. ;)

shhhh i tried to fix it

Davz Not Here

Backer
The thought of overhearing the station get over-run by zeds, then hearing just the odd grumble and moan from our new host is a funny one...

STN's very own Dave Rabbit :p
i have SO many voices ..... so many .....

This is a Walking dead moment right there. Talking over the radio to the loudspeakers across the land, calling people to the town centre when the sun is highest in the sky. So much potential for great moments here.

WiseManNero

A fire breathn' muthertf***ing dragon
Backer
would really encourage people to cooperate and adds a new element to the game neutral areas places people neither want to shutdown harm or leave unguarded doesn't mean some faction try won't take it over but a service everyone finds valuable really isn't worth just keeping to yourself since you'd be attacked by people who need it and they too much value to be wasted

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I would think a radio station would be an excellent place to fortify as well as it's likely to have a chain-link fence with barbed wire on top around it, or possibly only around part of the building and around the radio tower if it's far enough away from the building, especially so if it's located somewhere rural rather than inside a town/city. If I remember correctly the radio tower we saw during the stress tests did have a chain-link fence around it, I just don't think it had a working gate that we could lock up.

I would think a radio station would be an excellent place to fortify as well as it's likely to have a chain-link fence with barbed wire on top around it, or possibly only around part of the building and around the radio tower if it's far enough away from the building, especially so if it's located somewhere rural rather than inside a town/city. If I remember correctly the radio tower we saw during the stress tests did have a chain-link fence around it, I just don't think it had a working gate that we could lock up.

the first image looks like the radio station in dayz standalone.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
I know I suggested the idea of a movie studio, I now know that it's not really a fit for Black Island.

After discussing the idea of usable professional production camera's with montauk, the kind used by news crews etc the idea for this building also came up...

Thinking about it, it would fit in with the island... it could have 3/4 studios with what-ever sets, storage area, cafeteria and tons of electrical and industrial materials to scavenge... it would also make a nice place for a big group to take over and maybe like I said above, some equipment could be usable... could also then have related vehicles like a news van...

I mentioned a few things there but they all fit in... I'll probably also mention them in related thread when I find them :)

Thoughts?

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
I like it. I imagine this building would be somewhat similar to a radio station building, except with studios instead of radio booths (and TV broadcast industry related equipment instead of radio stuff of course). Wouldn't it be great to find a zombie wearing a nice suit & tie and with something like sweat pants?

Also like the radio station, this could potentially be a great place to discover some "lore" about what happened. Scattered notes, faxes, etc.

Davz Not Here

Backer
it might open the door for some trolling ..... but it would be really great if:

1: this building was something that we (players) could fortify and hold
2: the broadcasting gear could be brought back into use
3: weather, zombie horde, PvP, and other event reports, could be broadcast ..... by players, for players