• Hello Guest,

We are super excited to announce that we will be launching our public alpha release v1.0 on Thursday, November 21st at 10AM PST/1PM EST/6PM GMT. See you there!

-The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Stealth, Sneaking and Hiding.

Thread starter #1

drNovikov

Backer
I believe that stealth is one of the most important part of a survival game.

In a singleplayer game stealth is quite simple: the stealthier a player is, the less cone of vision / hearing do NPCs have. But in a multiplayer first-person game decreasing someone's cone of vision would be a very controversial move (I know only one game -- World of Tanks -- that decreases distances at which players are able to spot each other).

Which features could be implemented to make stealth gameplay in a multiplayer game more interesting and less similar to all the other games?

Imagine the following: you are hiding in a forest. Suddenly you hear a bird that was disturbed and took off 100 meters to the south. Then you hear a branch cracking under someone's foot. Then it repeats, closer and closer. You know that someone is approaching. A roaming zombie? A deer that is despeartely seeking for you to share his precious meat and pelt? Another survivor that wants your clothers, your boots and your motorcycle?

Disturbed birds, cracking branches, squeaking floors, cracking glass -- all those things are audial signs of presense. So, the better your stealth skill is, the lower the probability you will step on a branch or glass or disturb birds, or leave other such sign of presence.

Some conditions could impair players's stealth. For example:

1. A player has flu. The worse the disease is, the more the probability of sneezing and cough. Imagine how much fun it would be to sneeze while looting a house surrounded by a horde! Or to hear someone sneezing while you are slowly crouching nearby. Another source of tension, another reason to maintain your health (not just decreasing health meter or something similar).

2. A player is drunk (had no painkillers but some vodka). He is clumsy, he steps on different objects that give away his presence with sounds. In addition, he burps or (in case of severe inebriation) vomits. Vomit produces not only audio, but smell that attracts zombies. Other players could recieve smell clues through some visual indicator.

3. A player has just finished sprinting. He breathes loudly, and this is audible.

4. A player has fever. Zombies and beasts sense him slighlty better.

There could also be other signs of presence, not just audio:

1. Smell, as I have mentioned before. Not just for zombies -- for other players too. For example:

- A player was smoking in a room (apocalypse is stressful). Another player entering that room could recieve a visual indicator and message like "Someone was smoking here".

- A player was intoxicated or ill and vomited. Another player on approaching the puke could recieve a visual indicator and a message like "Smells like puke". Or fart (that guy should not have eaten spoiled food). In addition, dead bodies and rotting stuff could be accompanied with flies (oh that Quake 2 nostalgia).

- A player is bleeding. His blood forms a smelly trace which every zombie or a hungry dog would appreciat a lot. Players cannot sense blood smell traces, of course.

- A player is drunk. Another player could smell it.

- A gun was fired. A campfire was lit. A gas can was spilled. And so on.

2. Telltale signs, for example:

- Blood drops and smears, if a player was bleeding.

- Trash: smoked cigarettes, food packages, tin cans, ammo casings, etc, if a player was smoking / eating and threw that trash away / did not pick it up.

- Tracks, damaged foliage.

In addition to stealth skill characters could have some kindof an anti-stealth skill allowing them to notice signs otherwise not rendered by the game engine (like tracks of older blood stains).

How else could a player use stealth system and telltale signs?

- Break some glass and put it on the floor. Or put some empty bottles or tin cans. Whoever steps on it will emit sound.

- Use a rag soaked with blood to lure zombies away from you or right into a trap.

Bcaskey04

Mr. Nice guy
Backer
Please leave out the overwhelming sound of flies when someone dies, it is beyond annoying.

Graham

The One You Should Avoid In Multiplayer Games
Backer
This Would Be A Very Interesting And Unique Stealth System, And If The Devs Use This Idea, It Would Defiantly Make STN Stand Out.

Hungryduck34

Backer
Maybe you could add a stealth system that would show how loud you are and how visible you currently are, such as on the side of your screen there would be 1 small icon, an eye. This eye would get get lighter (show up more) when you are more Visible. The sound icon would be included in the eye. When you move thought trees and such there would be rings around the eye. The more rings that are seen would mean the louder you are being

Example of usage: if you were crawling in around in long grass you sound would be less and your sight would be nothing, this is because the slow movement makes the sound rings very low
And the long grass covers up the player so the sight would be nothing really

extras: i do agree that stealth should not be easy at all, maybe there could be a skill factor to it, as in it you need to do "a lot" of practice to become better at stealth. so for example at the start the sound and sight icon will be brighter and as the game goes on the more you stealth, the light and less visible the eye icon would become (idea based from zipp3n^)

Last edited:

darkfire1321

Backer
I know this is copying off the Walking Dead but what if you could cover yourself in zombie guts/blood and walk though hordes?

Lets say your in the city, zombies are surrounding you and the only way to get out alive is to walk though. You kill a zombie with a weapon of some sort and put the guts/blood on your body. You would then have to walk though the massive horde hoping you don't walk too fast. You start to lose a bit of your mental health and start to panic. The extremely loud moaning sound frighten you and they start to notice you. You see the end and barely make it out alive.

I think this would be a very cool feature if done correctly. Sorry about turning it into a (very very) short story.

SadPanda284

Backer
that sounds like an obvious addition to this game! stealth is definitely a very important part of survival in any situation

Zipp3n^

Backer
I think this would make it feel unreal.. Part of the survival thing, I think, is to learn to survive. I think stealth is Important to, but it shouldn't be to easy to hide.

Afitz200

Alpha Backer!
Backer
I feel like this takes away from the immersion, I would prefer to have to guess what I sound and look like.

Am I in thick and high grass? Stealth!
Am I running on a road? No Stealth!

Louster

Yeah
Backer
I looked through the forum and could not see anything like this so I thought I'd mention it.

I thought it might be cool to be able to maybe gut dead zombies, or get blood from them somehow, and put it on your clothes?
This would allow you to have a higher chance of zombies not being attracted to you, so you could try and walk through a horde of zombies to get somewhere you need to go, but a side effect could be that it lowers your mental health, and you could maybe catch something from wearing them for too long.
Let me know what you think, and maybe develop the idea below!
Similar things have been seen in The Walking Dead series where they also cut the zombies limbs off and use those zombies to blend in with the others.

Scott Rafferty

Designer.
Backer
I like this. Actually a lot, like walk up to a zombie you just killed and complete the action for "smear clothes" or whatever.

Could have a time limit in how long the smell stays there but if you reapply enough times then it starts to affect your mental health,

+1 dude.

Christo World

Backer
yeah this sounds pretty dope to be fair. A good way to trick other players and really make them think about the zombie threat especially when there could be a player, i used to do this on DayZ if i was outmatched, wear the nun costume with your gun pointing in the ground and crawl amongst the dead zombies on the floor, the amount of players that missed you... hahaha