• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Stealth, Sneaking and Hiding.

Prone is a must have in this game! There are a lot of games that don't include this important realistic move. I have confidence that they will include it, can anyone verify if prone will be included?

JippyUK

Backer
Yeah I like this idea too. Can imagine when starting out and not having any weapons you see a horde of zombies patrolling towards you, you dive under cover and wait for them to slowly amble past. Would be pretty intense :)

strategos2411

Survivor
Backer
Like the idea, would have to depend on what gear you're carrying (size of backpack, weapons etc) as there's not much room under regular cars, shouldn't be a problem with larger vehicles, or vehicles with higher ground clearance.

Takaii

Backer
i like the idea and it would be cool if u like have an zombie alert bar if u like move under the car it goes up and if u move too much they'll hear u and crawl under the car or like look under the car.

juauke

Backer
stealth with zombies like Michonne in the walking dead and cutting their arms and their jaw to don't be hurt

Last edited:
Moderator #87

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer
Most games tried this and it didn't work. Given the items and how the game goes with it there would be no point to stealthily doing something when you have all morning to get supplies. Then there would be no point to the night hold-outs if you could stealth. Also they have some stealth gameplay they had on Kickstarter is just crouching and being out of their vision.

LittleMoe

Backer
My 2 cents is that if you have a 2 door pickup, you should not be confined to only the 2 seats in the cab. People should be able to be in the bed of the truck, Maybe different positions like laying down or resting your weapon on the side ready to fire. The president (of the USA) uses SUV as part of his motorcade. The have the back window (Not the whole hatch) open so a guy sitting down in back can shoot out of it. This brings us into car chases and a whole nother story. And if you stay in a cramped trunk you get a movement penalty or discomfort?
SUV stuff.jpg

BlackWater

Cultured Crow
Backer
I would love this idea for trunks like TheDwemerComrade pointed out I loved the videos of the guy with the soundboard hiding in the back of the car they were hilarious I think I will watch them agian after posting this. Like people have said before you could fit in side quite easilly by yourself but you wouldn't be able to do much except maybe fire a pistol(or taser pistol). I also agree that there should be a minor movement penelty for a short time after getting out. I would be really cool as a stealth element and you would have to be really cautious with doing it since not everyone would just jump in the car and drive off.

You could also put a home made bomb into the trunk, you could either throw a bunch of explosives in the back farcry style or they could add a large bomb that you could craft that you would place inside the trunk that would fill the trunk. Some trunks also have a space for a spare tire so you could take out the spare if they add them to cars which would be a cool idea, then place an explosive in place of the tire and place the mat back over it to hide it. The large bomb would be for attack far cry or battlefield style just drive the vehicle into a baricade jump out before it blows and watch the fire works. The smaller bomb that could fit in the spare space would have less punch but would be for stealth, since even a person that checks the trunk might not check the spot for the spare tire.

Also @LittleMoe I would also like to see that I always hated in dayz how you were stuck with only two seats with the trucks, it's dangerious being so exposed but it helps being able to defend your self. It would also be interesting if you weren't confined to a seat so it was a bit more difficult to fire when sliding around the back. It would be interesting if you could crouch or even lie prone in the bed of a truck for cover or to hide, I remember seeing a dooms day preppers episode where people trained to drive by a group in a truck with two people prone in the bed. After stopping they would pop up and fire at the enemy, opening the bed door and laying prone would also let you use it as a sniper nest. Being able to mod vehicles would also let you armor the bed or trunk for the passengers. Also like you demonstrated you could have someone sit in the back of an SUV since they tend to have such open spaces in the back for cargo, opening the windows so you don't break them when firing would also be a nice feature.

Davz Not Here

Backer
while using it as an escape attempt
or trojan horse ......

% chance (small) to lock yourself in until you die or some one else opens the trunk

FuzioN

Backer
Most survival games dont have the possbility even to sneak, i think it should be given, especially if you dont have a ranged fire arm to be able to do so.

some things in the world could have ambient/sound effects so you gotta watch your step where you put your feet even if you sneak, becuse it could make a sound.

this however might not be somthing that will be in at all or very least not far into development but somthing i would like to have.

what i mean is if you sneak up on a zombie, and you sneak on a broken tree-floor, it will squeek.

Same goes for pools of water and other things.

what do you guys think?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I'd also like to be able to move around in the vehicle (think farcry 2 multiplayer)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Do you mean just moving slow acts as sneaking or skyrim style sneaking? I do prefer it if its just on the amount of noise I'm making while moving and weight carried etc rather than an actual sneak skill but yea I'd bet my right nut we'll have some form of sneaking (My left is on the line for something else)

JB_

Developer
Developer
Love the sneaking idea, it's for sure going to be worked into the game. How it isn't in others I'll never understand. I guess when the focus is on PvP and not survival you wouldn't need a sneak function.

Davz Not Here

Backer
Love the sneaking idea, it's for sure going to be worked into the game. How it isn't in others I'll never understand. I guess when the focus is on PvP and not survival you wouldn't need a sneak function.

actually ..... finding a way to make the sneak work in and for PvP ...... gets many many +1's

FuzioN

Backer
Its good for pvp also just watch counter-strike for example, you make a step against an equal good player he knows your location. that means some players that never use sneak that gonna pvp will have to learn to use it or be at a great disadvantage if you can use sound, but yeah its for pve also.

Do you mean just moving slow acts as sneaking or skyrim style sneaking? I do prefer it if its just on the amount of noise I'm making while moving and weight carried etc rather than an actual sneak skill but yea I'd bet my right nut we'll have some form of sneaking (My left is on the line for something else)

No i mean sound, no sneak that you go invisable they will still be able to spot you as easy as if you where standing, however the zombies range of vision might be low, so sound is longer detection that mean you can sneak.

Basicly when you sneak its silent, you dont hear anything, however backdraw is you are a lot slower, and if you go ontop of specific objects in the world it can trigger a sound/ambient effect that makes players and zombies hear you.

no other game has this, it will take a lot of code sure, but it would be really cool to have no other game have a system like this either.

i dunno why either.

So basicly scenario here:

You see a player run into a house, you sneak in to try to kill him, you get into the entrence of the house he cannot hear you or see you, when you enter the house you manage to sneak ontop of a pot, there comes a pot sound effect thus the player if he knows the sound system he should know either its a zombie lurking or a player inside the house.

same goes for zombies if they hear you they spot you, most zombies in my eyes dont have the best vision they are walking corpses after all, but they get alerted by sound.

So if you want to sneak up on a zombie you cannot rush behind him, he will hear you and turn towards you, however if you sneak he will just slow roam, if you are not unlucky he wont turn and see you and you can take him out with a baseballbat in the back of his head, many players like possiblity of playing sneaky style, i dunno the work around code on this and how much work it would be needed however this is not a must really for testing the game like this is somthing the devs could work on for many months before realsing it as a nice touch to gameplay.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
Only thing I don't agree with is the no sound when crouched, IMO when your crouched or "sneaky-sneaky mode:p" you'll be slower (because your crouched) and abit more silent but it should take into consideration if your wearing boots/barefoot,what your carrying, speed your moving etc

But there definitely needs to be a good sneak mechanic, would be able to do nice stealth kills on zeek then amongst other things.