• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Stealth, Sneaking and Hiding.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
As much as I agree with what you're saying. What happens if you're being chased by Z's running for ages you turn a corner, you hide under a truck and the zombies pass you.
I actually really like that idea, being able to hide from Z's under trucks and maybe dumpsters and such

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
As much as I agree with what you're saying. What happens if you're being chased by Z's running for ages you turn a corner, you hide under a truck and the zombies pass you.
Well, more than likely I'll have seen the zeds chasing you, or at-least put 2 and 2 together.. but I can only speak for myself.

Just saying that from my experience in survival games, it's rare for me to get into a "random" conflict over seeing others... paranoia of "is this dude gonna try and kill me" isn't at the forefront of my mind... it's there just like irl, I dunno... I just don't get why people are so jumpy which tied in with video game animations which don't exactly simulate normal actions like very quick movements leads to a ton if not most cases of KoS.

But I also blame most of the mentality on Dayz, but that's Dayz... different game different playstyle that people can not seperate from other survival games but that's just me I suppose :rolleyes:

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Backer
Well, more than likely I'll have seen the zeds chasing you, or at-least put 2 and 2 together.. but I can only speak for myself.

Just saying that from my experience in survival games, it's rare for me to get into a "random" conflict over seeing others... paranoia of "is this dude gonna try and kill me" isn't at the forefront of my mind... it's there just like irl, I dunno... I just don't get why people are so jumpy which tied in with video game animations which don't exactly simulate normal actions like very quick movements leads to a ton if not most cases of KoS.

But I also blame most of the mentality on Dayz, but that's Dayz... different game different playstyle that people can not seperate from other survival games but that's just me I suppose :rolleyes:
Yeah I feel with the mentality system in place, people will think about their actions before just spamming left click and taking your gear. I can see it now, two guys meet up, trade a few items and just as they're about to move on a bandit starts firing at them. working together, flanking the bandit and then knocking him out, take his gear and leave him to wake up in his own time. Not effective mentality and also profiting from their mistake.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Well its not just DayZ, some people are just straight up D**ks in survival game and im sure will care more about your hard-earned loot then their own mental state. Like the people that when you ask "Are You Friendly?" and they go "No Why?"

Lord Goose

Backer
Well its not just DayZ, some people are just straight up D**ks in survival game and im sure will care more about your hard-earned loot then their own mental state. Like the people that when you ask "Are You Friendly?" and they go "No Why?"
Yes, but they will be forced to care about their mental state, after it deteriorates for so long. Your character will kill them self automatically and you have no control after that point.

Darkstar 影

Lone Survivor
Backer
Yeah, but they'll still do it as much as they can, kill someone and then eat as many warm meals as you can, then kill someone again. IF thats how the system will work

Lord Goose

Backer
Yeah, but they'll still do it as much as they can, kill someone and then eat as many warm meals as you can, then kill someone again. IF thats how the system will work
We'll see how it actually works once the game is released.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
And it all started with Dayz, which is fine in Dayz's world but STN is about teamwork... I don't need to tell you this ofc but it's getting the message across to everyone else not to worry as this isn't PvP heavy.

The mentality is a godsend really as it can be used more to promote coop than be there to punish people, which hopefully will swing the paranoia around... just saying more ways to utilize it like coop actions/teamkills? is a must.

My bad for taking this thread off-topic... I just got that thought when I read your post :p

*waves his hand in a jedi fashion*
Back to business people...

EvolveAir

Im new to this (please dont hate on my noob comments)

I feel like in the night you should be able to turn off all the lights and zombies would have a more difficult time finding you.

For example, If you hid in a room with no lights in the room, it would reduce your mental state, but zombies wouldnt try to break in unless :
1. you made sufficient sound
2. you moved in the zombies sights
3. you turned a light on or there was a cooker on downstairs
4. smelling food on you

I feel this would make it more realistic and lifelike. This would also give newer players a chance. You would also would have to have sufficient disadvantages with this for example :
1. lower mental state
2. higher chance of alerting a horde

(Ill add to this post as I consider more ideas, but thats the basics.)

<3 EvolveAir

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
The main power is off on the island initially. You'll need a generator to get anything electrical working.
Perhaps a team could work together to get the Union Point power plant going?
I'm liking your ideas, though.
We know zombies are attracted by loud noises, but the smell of food (or a player who hasn't bathed for a while) or lighting are very interesting ideas.

Hauger

Community Mod
Backer
Zeds are not attracted to lighting or smell. It's just sight and sound.
This has also been posted before. Please use the search function. Merging with appropriate thread.