• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Weather, Storms and effects on players.

Somthing to keep the cold air from coming in so you dont get frostbite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread starter #1

0x00f1n173

Visions of Infinity echo in the Finite.
Backer
I could not find this by searching the backer forums so here goes my suggestion!

As I am sure many of you wish, and it probably will be a thing, regulating your body temperature should certainly be an aspect of the game play. It adds an enemy that you cannot fight but have to live with, a faceless foe. Making it more difficult to stay warm or cool in certain areas and conditions will definitely add another dimension to the gameplay. It should not be something that is a hindrance, but something you must keep your eye on every now and then, for the most part. It certainly adds to the realism. Especially if certain "environmental events" effect it. ;)

Now on to the main part of this suggestion.

The Weather.

I think that it is very important that there be some sort of system to fully immerse the player in the reality of survival, and there is none better than throwing a raging storm at him and or her! If the devs can nail a good weather system, as in not just have rain or shine but perhaps 10 - 20 different weather effects that can blend and merge with each other, it would truly be a boon to the game. There is nothing that brings the beauty of a game into sharper focus than taking your carefully crafted vistas and throwing the fury of mother nature at them. It makes everything more lively, more believable and less stale. The more you visit a place the more boring it becomes; add some weather and it could do much to keep things rainy fresh! :D Basically, dynamic weather can take a game from good to beautiful.

I don't know about everyone but I want to be doing something routine and have all my plans dashed by a severe storm that blows in and forces me to take shelter in an abandoned building with possible hostiles! HOW EXCITING! :D :D :D :D

Zero33

Backer
I think weather is one of easiest and best ways to set up some really good atmosphere. And if it would effect you as a player as wqell, hell, that would be perfect :D

refuseresist

Backer
I hope they will also implement Seasons. When you play in December, you have to wear a thick coat and if you play in July you have to drink more to prevent dehydrating
Imagine the decorated christmas tree "easter egg" in all servers that are in real time at christmas. Players gathering (those who have nothing better to do at christmas than sit on their computer anyways) around the tree, heroes and bandits alike, maybe exchange some gifts even?

I tried my best to shout The Seasons idea when GSC were making CoP and were asking ideas in some facebook comp. They didn't do it but I did win an SE of the game!

And yes - realistic weather should be one of the cornerstones the immersive world is built on.

Emperor

Survivor
Backer
I hope they will also implement Seasons. When you play in December, you have to wear a thick coat and if you play in July you have to drink more to prevent dehydrating
While I like the idea of seasons, they said the game was set between fall and winter.. so cold-ish, but not Canadian or Russian cold. Maybe they will add seasons a while after launch in an update though, who knows? It sure would add a different dynamic, but who says seasons also says different daytime and nighttime lengths, as well as moon cycles... What would also be cool, is some random eclipses to darken the day and let the Zombies out while we least expect it.. sort of like a random world event o_O

Mister Joe

AJ's Best Buddy
Backer
While I like the idea of seasons, they said the game was set between fall and winter.. so cold-ish, but not Canadian or Russian cold. Maybe they will add seasons a while after launch in an update though, who knows? It sure would add a different dynamic, but who says seasons also says different daytime and nighttime lengths, as well as moon cycles... What would also be cool, is some random eclipses to darken the day and let the Zombies out while we least expect it.. sort of like a random world event o_O
I love that eclipse idea, you should put it in its' own thread man. :v

Aj Roesel

Lt General cody503
Backer
Well were I live it was 23% this morning and I thought well when it gets really cold i'm pretty sure we will see our breath.

Then I thought well just because we have wood on the windows, That doesn't mean it stops the cold air from coming through, so what if we could something to block the air from coming through.

Now I need your ideas to make this game even better!

NovaSniper

Professional Argonian Badass
Backer
Well, other than possibly installing insulation (which most hoses already have) i cant really think of many ways to decrease the amount of heat leaving the building and the amount of cold air coming into it, but there are definitely ways to heat the inside of the building such as heaters and fireplaces.

Crazypineapple55

The Official Bus Driver
Backer
Ya it would be cool to see all those climates in game, but in my opinion that would draw away from the realism. How many different biomes can an island have? I feel like it would look strange, like in Minecraft where they just draw a line and say your in a desert now, who cares if it's next to a tundra biome. I don't know, I am okay with a few Biomes that are kind of similar in nature but nothing outlandish.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Apart from the obvious about weather effects I hope the little things are added i.e rain tapping on a window, strong breeze through tunnels... things of that nature.

Davz Not Here

Backer
ok i can't find them ..... but i KNOW there are at least 2 other threads on the topic of "Weather" and "Seasons"

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
ok i can't find them ..... but i KNOW there are at least 2 other threads on the topic of "Weather" and "Seasons"
I was going to make a topic on the subtle effects but thought I'd put them here...

Davz Not Here

Backer

Davz Not Here

Backer
since this happens to be the 'thread about this topic right now' .....

i might as well put it in here

7DtD just released there A12 build video ...... they claim to have dynamic weather systems ......

devs ..... ;)
just saying

EDIT: .....

having played the new 7DtD build, and the weather is cool, needs work and tweaking ..... but the storms are great (especially the blizzard and thunder storms)

Last edited:

Davz Not Here

Backer