• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

[MEGA THREAD] Weather, Storms and effects on players.

Somthing to keep the cold air from coming in so you dont get frostbite

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Davz Not Here

Backer
As the topic of "Dynamic Seasons" has, after the recent kick ass video, become the hot topic ..... i thought i would take this to the next level. 'Extreme' weather.

Hurricanes
Blizzards
tornadoes / water spouts (if applicable based on geography)
wind storms
hail
flooding (coastal and inland)
etc., etc.

i know it was briefly addressed in the OP thread about seasons / weather but i thought i would give it it's own thread
thoughts, ideas, opinions? ..... and remember ..... nothing is too hard for the devs to code and model, so no lines need to be drawn regarding what can and cannot be implemented ..... the devs will not sleep or eat if need be

;)

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
This could have some really interesting dynamics to the game. Here are a few thoughts I have right off the bat:

Hurricanes (island wide effects):
  • Rips out "basic" fortifications placed on structures, "advanced" fortifications take damage (assuming there will be different "levels" of fortification).
  • Extreme damage to vehicles not kept somewhere safe (like inside a well fortified garage).
  • Extreme potential for vehicle fortifications to be ripped off vehicles not somehow kept safe (like inside a well fortified garage).
  • Items/equipment left have the potential to be moved to another location and/or severely damaged.
  • Extreme damage to outdoor crops (i.e. near complete removal of player planted vegetation).

Blizzards (island wide effects):

• Extreme cold.
  • Little to no visibility (if you're brave enough to venture outside).
  • Potential to be locked inside of buildings because of snow accumulation.

Tornadoes (localized effects):

• Rips out "basic" fortifications placed on structures either completely or partially based on proximity, "advanced" fortifications take damage based on proximity.
  • Extreme-minor damage to vehicles not somehow kept safe based on proximity.
  • Extreme-minor potential for vehicle fortifications to be ripped off vehicles not somehow kept safe based on proximity.
  • Items/equipment left outside have the potential to be moved to another location and/or severely damaged, based on proximity.
  • Extreme-minor damage to outdoor crops, based on proximity.

Wind Storms (island wide effects):
  • Partially rips out "basic" fortifications placed on structures, "advanced" fortifications take minor damage.
  • Moderate-minor damage to vehicles not somehow kept safe.
  • Moderate-minor potential for vehicle fortifications to be ripped off vehicles not somehow kept safe.
  • Items/equipment left outside have the potential to be moved to another location and/or damaged.
  • Moderate-minor damage to outdoor crops.

Hail (island wide effects):
  • Moderate-minor damage to vehicles/vehicle fortifications not somehow kept safe.
  • Items/equipment left outside can be damaged.

Flooding:
  • Moderate-minor damage to vehicles/vehicle fortifications caught in the flood plain.
  • Items/equipment left outside have the potential to be moved to another location and/or damaged.
  • Items/equipment inside structures caught in the flood plane have the potential to be damaged.

Obviously these things should be fairly rare occurrences based on the havoc they inflict. Many of the adverse effects caused to things caught out in the elements could be avoided via weather radios which players would have to find & likely fix somehow (or maybe they just need batteries). The weather radio would give the player enough time to make preparations to the incoming storm, like moving things inside, focusing on fortifying with higher grade materials (if not already done), transferring crops into pots and bringing them indoors, etc. etc.

Davz Not Here

Backer
This could have some really interesting dynamics to the game. Here are a few thoughts I have right off the bat:

Hurricanes (island wide effects):
  • Rips out "basic" fortifications placed on structures, "advanced" fortifications take damage (assuming there will be different "levels" of fortification).
  • Extreme damage to vehicles not kept somewhere safe (like inside a well fortified garage).
  • Extreme potential for vehicle fortifications to be ripped off vehicles not somehow kept safe (like inside a well fortified garage).
  • Items/equipment left have the potential to be moved to another location and/or severely damaged.
  • Extreme damage to outdoor crops (i.e. near complete removal of player planted vegetation).

Blizzards (island wide effects):

• Extreme cold.
  • Little to no visibility (if you're brave enough to venture outside).
  • Potential to be locked inside of buildings because of snow accumulation.

Tornadoes (localized effects):

• Rips out "basic" fortifications placed on structures either completely or partially based on proximity, "advanced" fortifications take damage based on proximity.
  • Extreme-minor damage to vehicles not somehow kept safe based on proximity.
  • Extreme-minor potential for vehicle fortifications to be ripped off vehicles not somehow kept safe based on proximity.
  • Items/equipment left outside have the potential to be moved to another location and/or severely damaged, based on proximity.
  • Extreme-minor damage to outdoor crops, based on proximity.

Wind Storms (island wide effects):
  • Partially rips out "basic" fortifications placed on structures, "advanced" fortifications take minor damage.
  • Moderate-minor damage to vehicles not somehow kept safe.
  • Moderate-minor potential for vehicle fortifications to be ripped off vehicles not somehow kept safe.
  • Moderate-minor damage to outdoor crops.

Hail (island wide effects):
  • Moderate-minor damage to vehicles/vehicle fortifications not somehow kept safe.
  • Items/equipment left outside can be damaged.

Flooding:
  • Moderate-minor damage to vehicles/vehicle fortifications caught in the flood plain.
  • Items/equipment inside structures caught in the flood plane have the potential to be damaged.

Obviously these things should be fairly rare occurrences based on the havoc they inflict. Many of the adverse effects caused to things caught out in the elements could be avoided via weather radios which players would have to find & likely fix somehow (or maybe they just need batteries). The weather radio would give the player enough time to make preparations to the incoming storm, like moving things inside, focusing on fortifying with higher grade materials (if not already done), transferring crops into pots and bringing them indoors, etc. etc.
+1
Great start !!!!

i would add "trees falling over" and maybe even crushing homes (remember that tree through the house bug ..... time to reverse engineer it)

also .....

i think, for the purposes of coding, etc. you could lump hurricanes / tornadoes in with "wind storms" ..... now you have an umbrella to work with and it could be scaled up in intensity .....

might even find a way to take storm data from real life, and (for lack of a better term) copy / paste it into the code ..... then just add some code that scales storm systems up and down, based on a few factors, like geography, season, etc .....

MrJingles705

Bangarang!
Backer
Snow and Blizzards are (relatively) simple to implement in code.... Hurricanes and Tornadoes, as well as being technically complex to model, are also likely to cause significant performance issues for the server. And if you are going to model Flooding you need to also model evaporation and water flow, again, hard concepts to code in.

I'd be happy to settle for half that list and invest their dev time elsewhere... at least until many of the other features are in. But that's just my 2 cents ;)

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Snow and Blizzards are (relatively) simple to implement in code.... Hurricanes and Tornadoes, as well as being technically complex to model, are also likely to cause significant performance issues for the server. And if you are going to model Flooding you need to also model evaporation and water flow, again, hard concepts to code in.

I'd be happy to settle for half that list and invest their dev time elsewhere... at least until many of the other features are in. But that's just my 2 cents ;)
Well, per the changelog they already have support for flowing water. ;)

I'd imagine any of this, if ever put into the game, would be done after the "base" game is built & stable, as in after Steam release or something. We're just brainstorming here (pun intended). :D

Going back to trees and such, the natural vegetation would likely be damaged as well after a large storm which would offer less cover/concealment for a period of time until the foliage grows back.

Orlblazin

AlwayzBlazin!!
Backer
I would like that the player who goes out by poor time whatever it is feels effect real-time it this one.
For instance,
I go out under a brand rain without appropriate clothes, I do not see definitely, my clothes are wet, I risk feeling sick, etc....
I go out by low temperature with a coat of snow, without hot clothes, I risk catching a cold and I shall find it difficult to walk.
Etc ......
I would like I shall dry my clothes in help a fire of chimney for instance.

J'aimerais que le joueur qui sort par mauvais temps quel qu'il soit ressente en temps réel les effet ce celui-ci.
Par exemple,
Je sors sous une pluie battante sans vêtements appropriés,je ne vois pas bien,mes vêtements sont mouillés,je risque de tomber malade,etc....
Je sors par température basse avec une couche de neige,sans vêtements chauds,je risque de prendre froid et j'aurai du mal à avancer.
Etc......
J'aimerais pouvoir faire sécher mes vêtements à l'aide un feu de cheminée par exemple.

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I hope it will be possible for them to-do some/all of this, hurricane winds blowing planks off your barricaded windows, being trapped inside for days possibly without rescue because of a blizzard and getting your vehicle/persons stuck in thick mud all sound cool and would change the dynamic on gameplay in a big way while they are active.

Would something like this (extreme weather) be easier if it was a "third party plugin" especially for extreme environmental physics and effects... these guys have a zombie apocalyptic world on their shoulders and sometimes I fear we ask too much :p

But I have zero knowledge in coding so wouldn't know how simple/hard this is :confused:...

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
It may be something the Devs could work on at some point, likely a post Steam release thing well after they get other things hammered out & polished.

Davz Not Here

Backer
no biomes ...... dynamic seasons (as discussed in other threads) that affect based on time of year, elevation, global position (not as relevant with just one island, but in the future)

Davz Not Here

Backer
no biomes ...... dynamic seasons (as discussed in other threads) that affect based on time of year, elevation, global position (not as relevant with just one island, but in the future)

Davz Not Here

Backer
so .....
dynamic weather has been discussed several times ..... and several folks have pointed out how difficult it would be, to code in dynamic weather.

- Blizzards,
- Hurricanes
- Tornado s
- etc.
have all been mentioned (at least 6 threads including Strats consolidations)

so ..... this pic below ..... i was playing 'Miscreated' ..... that tornado formed, while i watched it happen, this screen shot is as it 'touched down', it then proceeded to shred the country side including a few cars (permanent placed assets, not the drive-able ones from what i could tell) thrown around for good measure

there was a wall cloud, the funnel started dipping down, i screen shot, it touches down ..... in 30 years of gaming ..... this is the top of the pile .....

and the lightning in this game is some of the best i have seen also .....
looking at you @a2z(Interactive);

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
If water could interact with things such as cars or bridges and you could reroute a river by building some sort of structure, things would need to have some sort of push limit until they break. for example, if you build a small dam on a stream to stop your house from flooding it would need to be repaired or supported by pieces of wood. If there was a very heavy rainstorm then the force of the water pushing on your dam could break it, and that could cause a ton of rushing water to slam into your fort and destroy crops, break walls, and cause water damage and you may have to demolish the wall and fix it. IF there was a flood in a city (maybe a barricade to stop flooding on a main river broke) then the water could wash away items such as cans boxes ect. Zombies would also be affected by this, if they were to step into a street during a flood they might be swept away, same with players.
If you want me to be more specific about something just ask

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
Not sure about needing to build dams, because we wont be building from scratch I'd imagine rerouting water probably won't be necessary...

But I do think the water could still have some physical properties so things could be washed away if traveling over a body of water that's moving with some force, like people/animal/zeds, gear, small vehicles maybe...

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
Not sure about needing to build dams, because we wont be building from scratch I'd imagine rerouting water probably won't be necessary...

But I do think the water could still have some physical properties so things could be washed away if traveling over a body of water that's moving with some force, like people/animal/zeds, gear, small vehicles maybe...
i agree

Montauk

Test Subject
Backer
Flowing water is a planned feature. Per the changelog during the 2nd round of testing: "Flowing water support added. (No flowing rivers in stress test area.)" I imagine the flowing water will have currents of some kind that will slow you down if you swim against them, speed you up if you swim with them, or carry you downstream if you're just floating there.

Danielinnv

Survivor
Backer
Flowing water is a planned feature. Per the changelog during the 2nd round of testing: "Flowing water support added. (No flowing rivers in stress test area.)" I imagine the flowing water will have currents of some kind that will slow you down if you swim against them, speed you up if you swim with them, or carry you downstream if you're just floating there.
ok thanks for the info