• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Messenger pigeons/ Messenger balloons

Thread starter #1
Its been a while since your last contact in alpha island. The thought of the nice group of people that you met, got you all worried. You want to send them a message (in game) to make sure whats up. Then you found a pigeon. You grab it, tie a little note, and you set it free. In hopes that they'll read it.

To be fair there is a 20% chance that pigeon will make it to the destination.
So if a pigeon isn't your forte then perhaps balloon messaging is the way to go. You find yourself a pack of balloons and some string. So you tie a little note on it and set it free. A survivor will most likely spot the balloon and shoot it. He or she will read it and will most likely (if they want) reply to it by repeating the same process with a pigeon or a balloon(or both). Of course the balloon will most likely fly somewhere else due to the wind direction and what not.

So why all this? Why can't you just find them on steam and chat?
Well you could do do that, but where the fun in that? ;)

Moderator #5

Alexander Matthews

M0d3rat0r
Community Mod
Backer

Castillo

Survivor
Backer
I gotta say though, if there's all of these situations that could occur where the person that is SUPPOSED to be receiving the message doesn't get it and it instead flies off elsewhere, how would that be useful? Just wondering. :p

A Friendly Moosicorn

Majestic Creature
I don't mean to be rude, but this doesn't sound like the best idea... Messenger pidgeons have to be trained, and unless you happen to find a trained messanger pidgeon, you would have to teach it. I don't think the average joe could do that without help. Also, it sounds just kinda weird.
As for the balloons, I don't care if they're added, I'm just not going to use them. If they add wind, that would affect it, and the whole shoot it and pop it thing sounds terribly inefficient. First of all, it would alert other players and zombies to your position, and second, Anybody could pop it and use it. So if you write "I'm at the watchtower in *some town*, meet me there *friends name*" and put it in a balloon, you'll literally just broadcasting your position to anyone who pops the balloon before your friend. Even if they aren't bandits, there's no way of knowing if that balloon was intended for you.
So it sounds like it wouldn't affect the game negatively, but anyone who uses it is kind of putting themselves in a bad position.

maybe a cool idea to message other player is to tame an owl and deliver a message in theyre mailbox at their base

Graham

The One You Should Avoid In Multiplayer Games
Backer
Cool idea, it would definitely help with long range communication if radio's are not implemented, i wonder if they could add message cats?

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country.
I like the idea, using somekind of bird for messages, pigeon's would be best probably but different kinds would be cool... and it also would be funny with message's not arriving because the bird was shot then ate by someone :D

I like the idea, using somekind of bird for messages, pigeon's would be best probably but different kinds would be cool... and it also would be funny with message's not arriving because the bird was shot then ate by someone :D
well before they get to their destenation they have to fly trough the server so if their would be clan wars in the far future just saying you never know ;)

Graham

The One You Should Avoid In Multiplayer Games
Backer
LoL! Imagine if that was implemented!

Imagine: Someone trying to ask an ally for help, but none shall come because you intercept and eat all of the birds =)

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
LoL! Imagine if that was implemented!

Imagine: Someone trying to ask an ally for help, but none shall come because you intercept and eat all of the birds =)
Yup... someone asks if you have seen it... you reply with a mumbled "No" with a mouth full of feathers :p

Num47

Sexual Tyrannosaurus
Backer
This would be under animal companions too me, because there is probably some other good uses you could have them for... maybe they could circle around things like vehicles, other survivors (dead/alive), wild game, Maybe carry small supplies to someone, would depend on the size of the bird ofcourse but if you just wanted to use it to "scout" ahead for activity/dangers you'd use a small one compared to say an owl to carry a small pouch will a box or two of rounds or food...

MrMoose

Real talk
Backer
Pretty sure messenger pigeons are taught how to fly to one specific location, and back again. Useful for passing messages between two towns, not so much for going to specific people.