1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Morality System

Discussion in 'Character' started by lovebus, Jul 13, 2017.

1. lovebus

lovebus Active Member Backer

Jul 9, 2017
    I'm pretty sure this is already a thing planned but I wanted to make a post explicitly about it.

I'm suggesting a Morality system to work in tandem with the Mentality State system. From what I have read, the Mental State system is not very nuanced and is vulnerable to subversion from people who are dedicated to trying to get around it. I'm talking about working in groups to stagger PvP kills, kill each other in order to fresh respawn, abuse the mental state recovery through eating hot foods, etc.

My suggestion is to create a Morality system that some of you might recognize from games like Unturned. At the basic level, If you repeatedly kill players then your Morality will go from good/neutral into a more villainous level. This would be easily reflected next to the player's name.

Another important aspect is that this Morality system would persist through death, so forcing respawns would not absolve a player.

SO WHAT DOES IT ACTUALLY DO?
    If somebody kills a player with a bad morality level, then it would do less damage to the killer's mental state. This makes sense because the player is killing a bandit, and typically the people raiding houses are going to be the ones with a low morality level. It still wouldn't be totally without a mental state hit, since we don't want these bandits to reach a point where they can never reform.

The Morality system could recover, although the mechanics for this recovery is beyond the scope of this post. Just a few suggestions though would be: killing zombies, killing other bandits, very slow recovery over time, perhaps some NPC at the prison or church (such as a pardoner)

What do you guys think of a system to add more nuance to the Mental State system? Do you think my Idea might lead to larger issues? perhaps my suggestion is even more abusable? I'd hate to create a situation where somebody gets so low on morality that they are constantly hunted down like animals and they can't play on a server since they are constantly being killed or raided for free.

2. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    You should trawl through some of the disscussions about the mentality/KoS and all that stuff... what you say as been mentioned here and there, so you have the right train of thought.

And I agree myself, but I'd have thought morailty would be tied in with the system anyway.

Dragoleaf likes this.
  3. lovebus

lovebus Active Member Backer

Jul 9, 2017
    I looked at some talking about a reputation system and a system for lessening mental penalties when a person kills in self defense. All of the suggestions i saw seemed a bit ham-fisted and I didn't see anything suggesting a debuff that persists through death. I think a reputation system that persists through death is necessary because otherwise people will just kill themselves in a fashion similar to spamming "suicide" in order to get a better spawn. Player deaths a re a big deal as they can really set a person back days/weeks. The consequences of bringing that on another player needs to run deeper than killing yourself and walking back to base from wherever you spawned.

Num47 likes this.
  4. Num47

Num47 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Backer

Feb 24, 2015
    Hehe I was saying the same thing the other day myself... stats will recorded like amount of kills, food consumed etc so maybe your mental level will/could also be in the mix and that some of these carry on or are accounted for after death... Like the mental state you where at and if you had killed people/multiple people to get to that state, and that when you repspawn your mental state is some what the same (maybe a tad higher to give a person the chance to redeem themselves)... but with the systems they have in place that work with mentality like name tags changing etc, so far it should make it easier to keep track of playstyles and maybe come up with more.

5. Huginn

Huginn Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Personally I think that it would be very nice, if it was possibel to chouse the spawn area, so that we dont get the issuewith people suicide all the times and have the option to chouse to spawn an area where y get killed imidietly. I also think that if y look at the dayz modding on arma, it has been the system at meny servers ended up with.

I do hope that the morality system would help insuring that a group dont just stand near by with some vehicel and more or less make constant spawn kills. It always pissed me off when that happened (no matter who did it to who).

I also think that it would be cool if you where punished by low morality, by starting to hear or see things that are not there. maybe on the way of losing sanity your hands some times start shaking a little (signs on some issues with the nerves)

I think that the loss off humanity/moral by killing should be based on the killed person "humanity/moral value" compared to some standard values. If the player have a very lov humanity the value would be low and if its a high humanity player , then a high value (lets call the final differents value x). Then the murders humanity/moral value differents compared to a standard value (lets call the differents value y). the final value loss is called Z.

then the equation I had in mind would be like z=x^(1/y) the outcome that I would presume, is that the developement goes exponentially the more evil the player is.

I think that its maybe a bit odd that you end up dieing if you lose to much humanity/moral. But ofcause the consequents of very low humanity, should be, that more AIs will shoot the player on site. maybe consider that the AIs set a bounty on the players heads (the bounty should only be possibel to be used the one killing the player and not something huge or maybe better reputation). The low morality/hunanity should in the beginning also increase the prices for what the player can buy/trade, simply because the AIs dont like the players appearens.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017