• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

More Hunting Animals

Moderator #2

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
I strongly agree with this! STRONGLY! More animals is key for us hunters

Tally Ho!

Gauloises30

Chasseur de zombies émérite
Backer
I m agree more wild animals is the key to get a real forest life not like dayz when you find a rabbit you are lucky...

Moderator #5

Lord Goose

One does not simply hunt.
Community Mod
Backer
I think rabbits should be more common than in DayZ but also other animals should be harder to hunt, which you learn the more you hunt. and can adapt those skills.

"

An important aspect of any multiplayer game is leader boards, achievements and leveling your character in order to move up in rank. Survive the most nights to gain server wide rep. Level your character to better your skills.

• Leveling up will be old school. Do something enough and you'll get better at it
  • Hunt to improve your trapping abilities
  • Shoot to improve your accuracy
  • Fortify a lot to improve your carpentry skills"
Hopefully hunting will be the same :D

Boomerix

You shoot it, you eat it.....no exceptions....
Wildlife is a great source of food, tools, clothing and more!

I think snakes would be a great addition. They can be found all over the world, some venomous and non-venomous species could be included. They are a great source of protein, bones and if they are venomous, venom.

Field dressing may be another skill?
I didn't want to to open another thread for field dressing related things, I thought it would fit perfectly here.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but here is the process of tanning a deers fur with it's own brain (hence the saying: a deer has just enough brain to tan it's own fur).

Skin the deer, prepare something like an old bathtub or any suitable water tank and fill it up with cold water. Put the skin in the tub and put stones on it so it stays at the bottom (and is safe from insects). Let it soak for at least 2 hours, but not longer than day.

Next fix and stretch the skin onto something suitable and pull of any remaining meat from the meat side. Use a tanners knife (ideal), hunting knife (okay) or a suitable stone (will have to do). An inexperienced person that skinned the deer will find enough meat left over to feed a dog or cat with it (re use it as bait?) Flies, wasps and other insects will also be likely attracted to you during that process. Inexperienced people are also most likely to cut some holes into the skin.

Next step is to rip out the hairs, which takes quite a while, but is not necessary. Which means, if you just want the leather, rip out the hair, if you want to keep the fur on the skin to keep you warm then leave it on.

Next step is to wash the skin (soap might help) and then wring it out, so it only has some moisture left.

Next warm up the brain in a pot (NOT COOK IT!) Make a nice and warm paste. Put the skin on a nice clean surface, take some brain "sauce" in your hand and "massage" it into the skin on the hairless side, or on both sides if you ripped out the hair (takes about 15 min. per side).

Then prepare 5-8 liters of warm water in a bucket and mix it up with the remaining brain "sauce". Put the skin into the bucket (put a lid on it to avoid dealing with a layer of dead flies) and leave it there for 8-24 hours.

Now comes the hard bit: make little holes at the edges of your skin and use a string to fix and stretch your skin to a frame (or between 2 trees). Use a baseball bat, broom stick or anything similar and....no don't hit it :p ! Press it against the skin and pull it down (rub it). While it dries it will shrink.

Next step is to smoke it, that will keep germs and parasites away and give the skin it's distinct color. (How to smoke things can be discussed in another thread/post). Because the skin shrinks when it dries, you will need approx. 5 deer skins to make a nice fur jacket.

Your tailoring skills will determent from now on what you will do with your deer skin, a shirt? a wallet? a string? Who knows!

This procedure can be done with any mammal fur and brain. The size of the fur/skin dictates the amount of brain needed.
One deer has enough brain for it's own fur, but you will need many rabbit brains to tan a bears fur.

Vidaar

Renegade Gamer!
Backer
Yeah Wild Dogs, Stray Cats, Wolfs, Cows, Etc and have AI so like Wild Dogs will attack you or an other animal near by like cat,rat bird etc and also Domestic animals get a pet cat or hunting dog.