• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

More weather ideas (Lightening and cloud movement weather thingy)

Thread starter #1
Going along with the weather ideas I have seen (hoping this hasn't already been talked about) I think it would be cool to have lightening - pretty sure its already planned to have it- that affects the player and the environment. For example, lightening can strike a tree turning it into one of those that are seen around the map with no leaves and look burnt; lightening can also strike near by homes if not your house and cause a power outage to a certain area by frying the circuit breakers... and of course... maybe lightening can strike an unlucky player too close to a tree or who is not undercover.

Now with cloud movement. It seems that every day has the same clouds even when it is raining. How about clouds forming into bigger ones the block out the sky and cause things to get darker. I feel overall there needs to be more clouds (don't know if that would cause too much lag though)

Okay last one... I don't know the name of it but it goes on top of buildings and points in the direction of the wind. With this... thingy... could there be a radio station that broadcasts the weather for the upcoming days? And seizing the radio tower, one could prevent it from broadcasting?

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
OK, it can be called a weather vane, wind vane, or weathercock, I like the last version, it's sort of what we normally say in the UK. Take your pick.

I'm not sure changing cloud density wouldn't be too much of a programming task for the Dev team. We've all seem how much more work has been put in in the latest Dev blog: https://community.survivethenights....-experimental-build-0-11-27.10775/#post-97429 to optimise the game for everyone.

During my play time this week, I've found my first car. OK it was missing parts :)

But let's go back to the lightning thing @arpegio2000, I think the idea of it knocking out electrical equipment is fantasticating. Perhaps not a player (we have enough problems with zombies), but taking out circuit breakers, frying extension cords, killing a generator?

I'm not sure we've got more range than the walkie-talkies have for communication at the moment, but to be able to control a radio tower and use it to broadcast over a small area might be an interesting way of getting people to band together.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Thread starter #3
Yeah! Sounds great! And thank you; now I know its a -insert word- vane! Its cool to think of ideas for the game even though they may not be implemented. I read in another post about radios and having someone play music on the radio by going to the radio tower or something... following along with that idea of extended range communication would be awesome.

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
Nice pic there @DZS ! How do you think a lightning storm would effect communications, or perhaps even zombies? All 'confused' and disrupted?

You know @arpegio2000 in the early days of the player created lore post, round about here : https://community.survivethenights.net/threads/player-created-lore.8136/page-5 we started thinking about using the radio towers to increase communication range. In the early stress test days, you could go in to the shed at the bottom of them. I think that's gone now, but it would be nice to see it back. Especially now we've got generators. Could we still power them up, perhaps?

DZS

Mammoth
Backer

If a lightening bolt hits radio towers without earthing or any sort of protection i think it could fry more than the tower. I wouldn't like to be inside the studio :oops:

Craftable lightening protection seems like a good idea, otherwise you run the station with the risk.

With Zombies as long as their brains weren't turned into cooked eggs they'd carry on trudging along possibly a bit less zombie like lol. maybe some of the basic functions disrupted, its an interesting scenario. Humans cant easily survive a direct lightening strike maybe if you had extremely thick rubber soled shoes on to earth you or were standing on a thick piece of rubber matting. Zombies being already brain dead dunno. According to lore they have to be decapitated or hit in the head to be put back to sleep, so you could say a direct lightening strike to the head or any part of the body would fry their brains would be the equivalent of sitting on the big chair. If the lightening didn't drop em the fire sure would. That'd be something a zombie shambling around set on fire from a lightening strike.

Last edited:
Thread starter #7
YEAH! This sounds so awesome! I do hope they add more with the radio towers... and for the zombie... don't know. (Maybe if a moon phase system is added; when there is a blood moon, maybe the zombies are a lot more threatening and it be cool to see physical affects on them-glowing eyes).

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Yeah glowing eyes at night would be fun.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Survivor
Backer
OK, so we all know forked lightning actually starts with a trigger from the ground up, right?
Glowing eyes, something like St Elmo's fire?
But perhaps a strike might make then more sluggish? A bit of damage that makes them slower?

DZS

Mammoth
Backer
Its certainly do something to them least not which is setting on fire.

This is nuts
Massive static field. Don't think i'd be hanging around.

Last edited: