• Hello Guest,

Welcome to the Survive the Nights community forums. Please feel free to share your ideas with the team and discuss current game features. Please do not report bugs here, use our bug tracker for that.

The team at a2z(Interactive);

Multi Shotgun-Shell Trap With 3D Images

Thread starter #1

Strider

Undercover Mod
Backer
As promised from the sticky - With a few changes

Idea : A spring loaded trap that utilizes 4 shotgun shells in a row, that is mounted above a door and is activated by a trip wire.

Items Needed :

• 5 planks of wood
  • 4 springs
  • 19 nails
  • 4 bottle tops
  • Metal Wire
  • 4 Shotgun Shells
  • Fishing line

Tools Needed :

• Drill and Drill Bit
  • Hammer

Description :

Planks of wood have 4 parallel holes drilled into them and 1 with recesses - The 4 shotgun Shells rest in the bottom 2 planks nailed together, shotgun shells are loaded into each hole then the 3th plank is set on top and nailed, Each bottle Cap has a nail driven through its centre then the spring placed on top, Each of these are into the 4th plank with the 5th above which are nailed - These two planks with spring mechanisms are placed on top of the prior built part and wired together to allow them to slide.

Each of the the springs are pulled up into the top planks and are slid horizontally so that the spring mechanisms are out of line of the Shotgun shells, The device is now armed... Each nail has the force of the spring pushing down on it and when the planks are slid into line the nails are forced down the lower holes striking the shells primer caps.

Once created this is mounted above a door using 2 nails with the shells facing downward - A trip wire is made using the fishing line and attached across the door using the last 2 nails as pulley points. When someone walks through the trap the wire is pulled which pulls the spring planks in line with the Shell plank... BOOM! Death from Above!

Added ---

key -

Green = Nail
Pink - Plank
Purple = Spring
Yellow = Bottle Cap
Red = Shotgun Shell

Sidewire2 - The breakdown of all the parts

Sidewire1 Image - The overall construction

Springmech image - The spring mechanism with the nail driven through the bottle cap and the spring placed on top.

Mech2 Image - The armed spring sitting in the recess off the top 2 planks... The mech has been slid over to the left with the spring being compressed. So when the top two planks are slid to the right the spring mechanism is inline with the lower bore.. Thus the spring expands forcing the bottletop downwards and the nail head strikes the primer cap of the shell.

I havent added the wire to bind and allow sliding yet

Hope you get the idea... I am texturing all the parts and refining them atm and will animate them soon.

Added 3d of plank so you can see why it looks a little wierd on teh wireframe :)

Strider

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread starter #2

Strider

Undercover Mod
Backer
First image is the recess plank with hole drilled to allow the firing pin (nail) to flow through.

Fith image (went on in wrong order) - Spring firing pin mechanism sitting in the recess plank

Second Image is the guide plank in place with spring uncompressed

Third image is the above with spring compressed and firing pin protruding further through the guide hole

Forth image is anothet guide plank in place... When the spring is uncompressed the firing pin comes just above this plank - The shell would be sitting here

Sixth and 7th images are the shell sitting above the guide hole for the firing mechanism... The two planks above sit around the shell as a holder

Eigth image is the shell housed and above the guide plank but off to one side, The bottom two are the mechanism planks.

So imagine that compressed with the spring out of line, The top three planks are nailed together as are the bottom 2 planks... When all compressed they are tied around to hold them together so they can slide left and right.... If you were to pull the bottom 2 planks over to the right the spring would be allowed to shoot up into the guide hole above it... thus hitting the primer cap on the Shell.

Just use a nail and fishing line to make a trip wire and mount the entire mechanism above a door facing downward. Tripping through teh wire pulls the planks into alignment and boom.

What do you think?

Attachments

Last edited:

SlugNugget

Backer
*Copied from my earlier Steam post but with new pictures*

Idea : A small, contained box which shoots a shell though the floor when stepped on.

Items Needed :

• 1 Shotgun shell/Rifle bullet
  • 2 Springs
  • 1 Thumbtack
  • 6 Planks of wood

Tools Needed :
  • Hammer

Description :

The idea would be to put these below the ground, preferably under the floorboard so that the floorboard could be used as the "top board" in the pictures. What would happen is, if someone stepped on the floorboard, they would depress the springs, put weight though the bullet/shell, activate the primer with the thumb tack, then get shot through the floor. This would work on both humans and zombies and would still fit with the 'MacGyver' theme.

Rifle version labeled
Shotgun version labeled
Rifle version colored
Shotgun version colored

I tried to texture the models as well as I could (which wasn't well) and I was too lazy to import to 3Ds for actual textures.

Jared Kaufman

Official Hero Bandit
Backer
I talked about something kind of like this in a different post. But I'll just type it again. From what you said, it would be impossible to do this because the game is created in Unity 3D with a fixed floor, that can not be edited while being played. However if you made the floor you interact with a damage model and made the real floor below that it would work. BUT that would create insane lag. So insane that not even rigs with Titan Zs would not be able to run it. But maybe they'll figure something else out cause I like the idea a lot.

Last edited:

M_Dawg

Officially Awesome
Backer